Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:25 PM   #1

Ok, hopefully we all can contribute to this and may be warrent a sticky!

This thread is intended for every one to just sign off on wwhat they have and what their favorites are and why, and may be include samples?

Let me start by sayiny my favorite is the sanyo cg6, and also my highested rated.

But I have to say I probably use my MPVR more! Why? Because if any thing happens to my mpvr I will not be out that much money, and the quality is good enough for a lot of what I shoot. I still use my CG6 a lot! And if I want the best quality I will bring that one with me, but I have a lot of respevt for my aiptek mpvr.

The jury is still out on my SVP 8800. I'm still testing it, and it is my newest hybrid I have and you would think the one I use more at this time, but no. The jury is still out on this one

So those are what I am using, any one else care to sign in?

MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:50 PM   #2

Well my Sanyo C40 is my favorite but I am with you on the MPVR. It's an ideal 'beach camera' in that you don't worry too much about getting sand in it. Of course Sanyo do the waterproof E1 now, but I don't go to the beach enough to justify the much higher price. Having said that, if I still had my original IS-DV (not the IS-DV2) then that might have pushed the MPVR out of the way. In fact the only reason I got the MPVR was because I lost the IS-DV in the first place! I got my IS-DV when Target had them on sale for just $92 which at the time really was a bargain back then.

My newborn son was reason for me getting that model and into hybrids in general, because I wanted a device that I could use anytime without having to worry about purchasing a tape each time and that could instantly offload video clips to any PC without needing a firewire port or capture card. This was so I could send video clips to family, friends and relatives back in the UK.

To me, a flash memory camcorder is to a minDV camcorder as a email is to a regular letter writing. I send bunches of emails everyday yet if I had to write a letter, I'd probably do once a month if I was lucky. The more convenient and fun something is, the more likely it is to be used which is very important when you consider your kids can change so rapidly that sending a letter with photos or a video once or twice a year is just not enough!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:52 PM   #3

Survivorman of Aiptek video click me

I own quite a few, I started out with the Mustek dv3000, worked up to the musteks 4500, and fell apon the IS-DV, having " a swival screen" as the MPVR came out it was the AV input so take all three model brands and if you can combine, the battery life theflash, and av into one device I am sold if the resolution is there? the Low light situation is the talk of the town, and today it is here, the Go is on my re-purchase list. As I am happy I found the Casio to have all the extras

I carry around today like I carry my MPVR If I go away, I tell you this

the MPVR

the CASIO

The JVC camcorder

All go with me

you may say It is a lot of gear , but when I went away to Alaska, at the Peak of my trip, the mani camera got a defective film inside casued me to go wit hthe desposable, till I fixed it with a eye glass kit?

It is hard to Pick one?

I use the IS-DV for my car and bike rides

I use the MPVR going to the stores,andall over

I use the Casio for my going to and from work, not for work

I use the camcorder for reviews and auto repairs

If one broke I liketo have a spare?

I have 2 musteks dv4500 today

I have 2 MPVR's one the nav is broken

I have 1 IS-DV, DV5300,Mustek DV35000, DV3000, and 1 jvc

I hope this helps all out enjoy vid samples are all over the place with me

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 8:56 PM   #4

I think we are all pretty much in agreement here. We all realize the Aiptek and Mustek cameras don't have the best picture quality or features, but their low price makes them acceptable in many situations. I've had my Sanyo CG6 for a week now and yet I still continue to carry the Aiptek IS-DV2 with me regularly. After all, if you look on ebay you can buy many of these Aiptek models for under $50. I even saw an MPVR+ sell on ebay for $32 a few days ago. So for those prices, you can be forgiving on the video quality and also be less concerned about breaking it.

Before I got the aiptek I used to carry around a Vistaquest VQ-1005 (see my review on youtube) because the quality is pretty nice for a 1.3 MP keychain camera. Themain issue I had with it was that the way the viewfinder was designed, 50% of the time I'd get home to find that the item I tried to capture in a video or picture was half-way or more off the screen. It was just too darned difficult to tell what it was pointed at. The Aiptek costs only slightly more when bought used and at least it has an LCD screen.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2007, 11:08 PM   #5

I am not surprised we agree on most of the basic ideas here, after all thats what brought us here. But its interesting to read other peoples words and experiences, and why they use what they use.

I think those who dismiss the lower end hybrids are missing out on some extra fun! And its good to know that even folks who have mid range to uper end models still carry around their IS-DV's and MPVR's!

I purchased my first hybrid with marketing in mind. I am a Internet marketer, and thats pretty much how I make my living. I was exploring the marketing potentual of youtube, and after much research determind the best way to proceed was with videos verses the usual marketing ploys (spam). So I wanted the easiest and fastest way to produce vids for youtube. And also starting a review blog in the process. I have not posted one review yet on my blog as I am still very much in the research and learning stages.

But another thing happened along the way I did not expect, I fell in love with the whole concept and technology of these hybrids and rediscovered videography at a whole new demision I never visited before. So I am finding I am having too much fun and not producing my work as quickly as I expected! I was hoping to have a few reviews on my blog by now and several videos on various sharing sites to generate traffic. Instead I spend far too much time testing out editing software, reading up on these hybrids, and visiting this forum!

Could be worse, I could be doing all this and not be having any fun, which is the usual boring route my research takes me on :-)

Now if I can ever get to making some interesting vids like fishycomics I can start marketing again!

Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:39 AM   #6

MorePixels wrote:
Quote:
I think those who dismiss the lower end hybrids are missing out on some extra fun! And its good to know that even folks who have mid range to uper end models still carry around their IS-DV's and MPVR's!
Agreed. Most people in my family now have digital cameras, but only three of us consider ourselves to be into photography as a hobby. I am one of those. Now my brother and my cousin are both of the same arrogent mindset. They have top-notch equipment. Anything less is considered junk. For example, I tried to tell my brother that I just bought a Sanyo Xacti CG6.. He dismissed it immediatly as being junk. He hasn't even seen any videos from it. Now, I'll be the first to admit that his Sony PD150 takes better quality videos. but his PD150 also cost him about $3,000 and is like lugging around a news-crew camera. He only uses it once or twice a year and to be honest, the video is only marginally better than what my CG6 takes. Now, if you consider that I've only have my CG6 a week and I've already taken 20 or more really nice videos of me and my family doing things together, which camera is more valuable? Would you have seen me at the park today lugging around a big PD-150? Heck no. I'd probably be getting weird stares for having such a huge camera out there. But nobody noticed my CG6. and when I was not taking videos, I folded the screen in and put it in my pocket. What makes the deal even that much sweeter is that when I got home, I just plugged it in and copied the videos right onto my file-server and I didn't have to mess with capturing the video over 1394 connections or anything like that.

And while I'm ranting on... Besides taking some great video at the park today, I got some excellent 6 MP still images of my daughter. These are the kind of images that I'll likely be going down to Walgreens and printing out for family members. If I had the gigantic PD-150 with me, I'd have been out of luck as it only captures at 640x480. I would have had to bring along a second digital camera.

Yep... My motto has always been this: Bring some kind of camera with you everywhere you go. Just pack whatever is appropriate. If you don't really have anything in mind, bring something cheap like an Aiptek. It may not be the best, but believe me.. if I happen to be somewhere with my Aiptek IS-DV2 and happen to capture video of a plane crash or a train derailment or get video of Osama Bin Laden or something like that... I don't think the news companies are going to complain that it came from an Aiptek camera. They'll be glad to take whatever they can get, and just about anything is better than a cell-phone video and they've been known to show those before when it is the only thing available. So always have something with you. If it is a special occasion, bring the best you have.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 8:11 PM   #7

Well it seems I all I do is work, so when I get a moment of relaxation and fun I enjoy it! Like taking a quick dip in the pool with my kids! Brought my trusty mpvr with me right in the pool! Delevered great results! Then a quick edit in PowerDirector and I have a nice little video to share with family and friends!

Time spent editing, about 10 minutes, time spent uploading, 10 minutes? Fun factor, very high! Cost for camera, $149, cost for Editor, $89, capturing a precious moment, priceless!

So hopefully some new comers can see why these hybrids are so much fun! And thats what its all about, fun!

Enjoy the clip! Original clip is much much better! I was surprised how viddler processing degraded the clip. Saved as MPG2 DVD (D1), my copy is fantastic.

http://www.viddler.com/MorePixels/videos/4/

Old Aug 13, 2007, 8:46 PM   #8

Talking of arrogance, as I have pointed out before on this forum, you should see what they think of the Sanyo cameras on camcorderinfo[.]com! They seem to think all Sanyo Cameras are junk! But then they seem to think tape is the be all and end all in the camera world.

Who cares if tape is cheap? Tape and Hard Disk cameras have reached the stage where they can potentially store more than enough video for the average vacation and are reusable.

I easily got by with my basic Sanyo C40 and a few 1GB cards on my trip to the UK. I used to have a super 8 Cine camera which did ONLY 3 MINUTES per cartridge without sound! Even the most basic hybrid easily outdoes that all with glorious audio.

Sure you can project cinefilm to much larger sizes, but honestly who can be bothered? My little bit of cine film that I did, sat most of the time gathering dust whereas with my hybrid clips, I can just view them on a PC/Laptop anytime any place and for those who don't have a PC handy, I can quickly create a VCD or DVD! I even place a bunch of current clips on my PDA.

There have been times I could have afforded a really fancy video camera but I have never bothered because I just wouldn't use it as much as I should. I'd afraid to use it because my precious might get a scratch or I might drop it. So it would be like an overpriced classic car bought by an investor rather than an enthusiast. it would just sit looking pretty while I polished it every now and then :-)
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 9:29 PM   #9

I sold my canon GL1, my sony TRV900 collects dust right along side it's little brother the PC110 my Nikon D1X. I have not purchased a high end camera since the D1X, no need to. If I had to I would, but I don't have too. Mean while I'm wearing out my cheap hybrids.

Don't get me wrong, I love my D1X and occasionally dust it off and use it! High end stuff is fun too, but I simply don't like lugging around 60 pounds of camera gear with me every time I leave the house.

Now I have to wonder about these people who like to spend so much time on forums bragging about what they have and trashing any thing else. Are they simply quality fanatics? Because to be perfectly honest, my 3CCD TRV only looks marginally better then my little sanyo CG6. Likewise, the single CCD PC110 only looks marginally better then my mpvr. And on youtube, it simply dosen't matter. I wonder who is recording more?

Same thing with digital SLR's (DSLR). I have a high end model D1X, yet I use cheaper smaller lighter cameras more often. Unless I am going to make 11x16 prints, no one is going to notice any difference. Of course if I was going to shoot my daughters wedding I'd want to use the best. But for every day stuff? I'm very happy with the lesser stuff.

So let them brag and rag all they want. Again I ask just who is shooting more and having more fun?

:G

btw, try viewing a clip from any high end camcorder, dvd or Harddrive model, even HD on a very large screen! 90% of them look like our mpvr's do on youtube! The worse were dvdcams. Even miniDV looks weak on very large monitors. So its all a matter of prospective I suppose.

Here is a clip from my minidv sony PC110 I found.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeoXEFa_ssM

I've got way better just need to find them
may be I should include minidv with some reviews?

Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:10 AM   #10

You know.. talk of mini-dv has just also made me realize another important factor of convenience. Back a few years ago all my videos were captured on digital-8 camcorder. (For all purposes here, the same issues apply to mini-dv since it is captured via 1394) One thing I always had to do after taking a video was spend some time connecting up the 1394 cable and capturing the video over to my PC. Granted, this was far superior to messing with the old analog capture, but was still a pain. Then I'm left with a file that is very large and I can't exactly store a lof of DV format video on my system, or very well even back it up. So then I would usually compress the stuff to an MPEG2 file for storage on my server and backup on external media.

How much simpler is it just to plug in the USB cable (or the SD card into your SD card reader) and copy the file directy to my file-server? I get to skip all the capture and compression.