Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 13, 2007, 3:35 PM   #11

would you be able to DL a direc t file a short sample if so maybe some of the programs i have will be helpful to others like Presto video works Ulead video studio 8 se

etc
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 4:16 PM   #12

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
great advantage in that they can use the framserver in Virtualdub to frameserve directly to TMPGenc which means you don't need masses of Disc space to convert to MPEG1 or 2
Actually.. believe it or not, I can open these .MP4 files in TMPGEnc on my computer at work just fine, but my computer at home won't. I can't exactly figure out what the difference is. That is why I didn't mention TMPGenc in the video, since obviously something else needs to be installed (a codec or something) that allows that to work.. but I haven't figured out what it is. Besides, TMPEnc doesn't do stream-copy so it is only really usefull if you want to convert it to MPEG1/2 like you said, or if you want to convert it to an uncompressed AVI or something to edit.
Are you sure they are the same version? I know you said you purchased a copy at some point. The freeware version as far as I am aware has never supported .mp4 files but I have no doubt the newer commerial versions probably do.

I was thinking of purchasing the commercial version at one point until I saw they do this periodic license validation through the internet. This software licensing in my opinion is just getting plain ridiculous. Soon you won't be able to use any software without a permanent internet connection. Of course they say you don't need a permanent internet connection, only when it requires valdation every now and then. Like you can only have internet connection just when you need it :roll: This is basically just one step from 'renting' the software which I have no doubt is coming. Just imagine having a monthly free for everything you use!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 4:48 PM   #13

Ok got chance to review your video review of the CG6 on my other desktop with no problems. Very nice.

One point I'd like to make that you may be interested in. You commented that the only real problem you have with the CG6 is the MPG4 format it records on and that you need to convert it to a ASF or some thing for you to import it it in Adobe Premier or whatever.

You may be interested in this really inexpensive yet very powerful editing program called PowerProducer ($80). Unlike other cheap editors this one really packs a lot of features you simply will not find on the others in this price range. I suggest you check it out as you can do a lot of different things with it and it supports many different types of formats and codics. The feature list is very impressive and best of all you do not have to convert your mpg4 files, you can load them instantly and start editing!

I have Vagas, and Premier, and tried a lot of others too. PowerPorducer has become my latest favorite! If u have not seen it, check it out! Sorry if this sounds like a commercial, its unavoidable for me as that is what i do for a living, promotions.

http://www.powerdirectorsoftware.com

Hopefully i will be able to post some reviews by this weekend!
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 4:54 PM   #14

RGVCam, Yes.. I have the same version on both PCs.. but I have installed some different codecs on different ones, and I think that is the issue. I agree with you on the renting issue and the validation issue. I actually bought some security camera software recently that required internet validation. Kind of annoying actually. But I couldn't resist the price - it was $19.99 and it only required activation once. I made a ghost-image of the harddrive after activating it so if the harddrive ever goes bad or I need to reinstall, I just run the backup from that ghost image.. so I should never need to re-activate it again unless I move it to a different PC completely.

Morepixels.. the software looks nice but I don't have $85 to spend on editing software. Adobe Premiere works fine for me, just there is the one extra step I mentioned. SUPER has a batch convert mode, so it isn't a big deal. I just go into windows explorer and drop all the .MP4 files I want to edit and click convert. I go get a drink or something, when I come back they are all in .AVI format and I can import them. No big deal, really. It doesn't take very long since it is a stream-copy. It doesn't have to do any decompression or recompression which would otherwise take longer.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 5:14 PM   #15

Morepixels,

I look forward to your reviews. I don't have an all encompassing piece of software at the moment, just relying on lots of freeware odds and ends, but if the right commercial software comes along I might go for it.

Software that is activated once I don't have too much of a problem with. it's the constant validation of software that annoys me greatly. Another example was an email program that I bought for $25 for my phone. This recently stopped working and I only found out because I put the suggestion to support that they must be using port 80 in the new upgraded versions (tmobile Tzones doesn't allow port 80) and found out they are now verifying regularly when you use your email client! I have since stopped using it now since I am not paying $30/month for full internet just so they can verify that I am legitimate, which of course I am! Anyway that's my rant about this subject of my chest..
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 5:24 PM   #16

sometimes we overlook theobvious, and I mention to others if a program does the job for example the presto videoworks 6 by IS-DV camcorder $5.00 I buy that in a heartbeat it is the ful download excluding the dvd as an example, this is why I ask: a small sample to DL, and hmmm monty hall
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 6:10 PM   #17

rgvcam, I hear ya about authorization. I hate that too. If I can find the crack I get that instead for software that insists on going down that road.. But if they were all free, the bottom line would be how useful it is. For me, and I have a bunch of them, PowerProducer suites my needs just fine. It simplifies many of the tasks that vegas and premier does, which I also have too. And you only need to activate it once with a serial number. Its not hardcoded to your hard drive and it does not authenticate with server each time you open it. If it did all that [email protected] I'd be using a crack for it too. I think software companies hurt themselves when they place all those stupid restrictions on their programs and price themselves too high.There is no program on the market worth over $100, not even final cut, vegas, or premier. If a program is really good, and not outragious in price, I will pay for it so I can get the support. Otherwise, all betsare off,warez and OEM here I come.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:25 PM   #18

Well, I understand why companies are going to the internet activation thing. I mean, how hard is it to give copies to all your friends if all they need is a copy of the installer and your serial number. So, it probably does help the companies make more money. But what bothers me about it is if the company goes out of business. Then how do you re-activate your software should you need to reinstall it? That is why I made a ghost image for my security camera DVR. Who knows.. I might use that software for 10 years. I have other pieces of software I bought 10 years ago and I'm still using it today. A good example - Paint Shop Pro 4. I only use it on my laptop these days because it is an old machine and this old version of paint shop pro is very small and lightweight. But seriously, you know that some software companies are around for a year or two and disappear. What happens then?
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:06 PM   #19

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
... But seriously, you know that some software companies are around for a year or two and disappear. What happens then?
Happend to me a few times already, and one program cost me $299!!! I had to find some one to crack it for me! Also, lets not forget the companies that do not go out of business but have terrible customer support! I paid $80 for a program and it still does not even open up for me. I've emailed them hundreds of time, they still sell the program, never replied. This one once I get the crack I will post it on every warez forum I know of! I have no sympathy for software companies like that.

I paid $1000 for Final Cut Pro. It was for business of course, but the program is not worth more then $100! I bought Photoshop and got suckered in the $150 upgrade deals for a few years until I got smart! OEM is way cheaper! So for the past 4 years the most I ever spent for Photoshop is $40! Nope, no sympathy here for software companies that charge up the you know what for a marginally good program. But like I said, I prefer to purchase if the program is worth it, useful, well supported, and reasonably priced.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:45 AM   #20

RE: AVISynth

Thanks rgvcam for the tip! I have also been using Virtualdub for a long time and know about AVISynth. However, I always thought scripts are difficult because I am no software expert. I find that the latest AVISynth website (identical to the wiki site in your link) has muuch better explanation and guidesfor newbies, making the program less intimidating. I never realize the most basic command "Directshowsource" enables so many more video formats to load in Virtualdub. Now I can use it to edit MP4, WMV etc. without having toconvert to another format first usingan intermediary such as TMPGEnc (MPEG-1). I find that as long as you installed ffdshow Directshow filter, you can more or less load any types of video formats.I also agree that Virtualdub does not have a friendly UI and is too advanced for average "push button" users, but once you learned the basics it is a very useful and versatile tool indeed (and of course, it is also free!)

Apart from SUPER ©, I also found another excellent freeware converter program called Internet Video Converter:

http://www.ivcsoft.ca.cx/

Easy "push button" conversion to and from webcast formats like FLV, flash plus most of the usual video formats. Also use ffmpeg and mencoder core like SUPER ©. Lightweight and no installation.
blindsight is offline   Reply With Quote