Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:36 AM   #21

Yes I agree VirtualDub is one of the most useful tools out there. I just hope it doesn't go the way of TMPGenc and become an expensive commercial piece of software that needs regular activation although to be be fair to them, they still seem to have the basic freeware version available if you only need MPEG1 conversion.

I notice a lot of new freeware products now install avisynth as well to handle the import of formats such as mp4.

Super is great because it also handle cellphone video formats too. Before this program, the only alternative I had was Nokias own multimedia conversion software and you had to join their developers forum to get it!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:18 AM   #22

SUPER is nice, but it is not nearly as reliable as virtualdub and certain types of conversions just error out with no explanation. Another irrating problem with SUPER is that if I tell it to convert my .MP4 files over to a DV (in the .AVI container) the only resolution option it gives me is 720x560 which is essentially PAL resolution and causes some loss of quality as I have to scale it back down to 720x480 in premiere.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 2:48 PM   #23

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
SUPER is nice, but it is not nearly as reliable as virtualdub and certain types of conversions just error out with no explanation. Another irrating problem with SUPER is that if I tell it to convert my .MP4 files over to a DV (in the .AVI container) the only resolution option it gives me is 720x560 which is essentially PAL resolution and causes some loss of quality as I have to scale it back down to 720x480 in premiere.
Yes I have noticed these problems with Super as well. I noticed that the Quicktime support can be a bit shaky especially but I mainly use it for putting videos on my Cellphone and a video convertor of last resort. For cellphone conversion it works pretty reliably.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 3:03 PM   #24

Hey nice review.

I first came across the 'pistol grip' version of the Sanyo cameras on a trip to Japan, Every trip I thought "Ok, I'll just buy it" since it seemed like such a neat camera but I never did.

The main reason I didn't buy was I couldn't find any reviews -- A few mentions here and there and quite frankly This forum seems like the biggest gathering of folks for the Sanyo cameras.

Well fast forward a bit and the CG6 comes to walmart --- I really don't like shopping there but the price was right so I went ahead and bought it even without any reviews. I'm really happy I did.

Anyway I wanted to 'add on' to the review with a few things -- Especially for any mac users.

the MP4 files the camera produces work great on the mac -- all of the tools (video editing, etc.) work perfectly and no cross conversation is needed to view or edit the files. Also since the camera mounts as a USB mass storage device (which you mentioned) no special software is needed just drag and drop (or let iPhoto/iMovie import them)

One of my initial uses was to take quick videos of the kids and upload to youtube for the grandparents -- My initial results were really disappointing, very blocky, bad audio, etc. ALmost unwatchable. I was suprised since SOME video on youtube looks fairly decent but the stuff uploaded from the camera looked horrible.

And then iLife 08 came out with the new iMovie. The new iMovie allows direct to youtube uploading so you can edit up a movie and click a button to have it rendered out and pushed up to you tube. THe new iMovie is also a super (unbelievably) fast editing program so the workflow is attach camera (5 seconds), import (maybe 1 minute) "skim through" and find clips and add to time line (maybe you can go through 20 minutes of vide in 10 minutes or so) and then render & upload (2-10 minutes). Boom in 30 minutes you have a edited up movie at youtube.

So beyond youtube they also support uploading to a 'web gallery'.

So here is where it get's interesting -- when uploading to youtube and the web gallery you get a choice of sizes -- "Small" and "Medium". "Medium" is 640x480 which is the camera native resolution and small is something about 430x350 or so. The options makes sense on the web gallery since you can pick different sizes depending on your device an bandwidth (the iPhone will automatically pick for instance)

but for youtube? I was suprised since it only displays a single size so I did a test. Here is a video of my two year old eating ice cream.

Video directly uploaded from the camera to youtube (not using iMovie)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=jZlqfDwQuow

Video to youtube in the 'small' size
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0yvCqP4joQg

Video to youtube in the 'medium' size
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LpRDP8CeZkE

When you look at them on the web they will probably look identical no obvious difference. But here is the thing When you look at them on the iPhone (or I assume the appleTV) the 'medium' size looks better than the 'small' and the direct upload won't even show up on the iPhone -- it only shows up on the iPhone if you have uploaded it through iMovie. so it appears that youtube will keep a better version and serve it out to devices that can handle it. I'm not sure what youtubes plans are going forward but this is good to know.

Finally for comparison I uploaded it to the web gallery. There really is no comparison, the quality is so much better avoiding youtube.

http://gallery.mac.com/loghound#100039

Beyond the videos I've also been impressed with it as a still camera -- it won't replace my DSLR but it takes very nice pictures (especially if you have good light) -- I dim light the pictures are still pretty good but they can get grainy.

-John

loghound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:25 PM   #25

Out of interest, does anyone else find the www.sanyo-dsc.com website as slow as I do? Doesn't matter if I access it at work or home (both broadband) it sort of loads almost like it's on dialup only faster, meaning that instead of being instant you can see the images and parts of the webpage build down the page in slow motion!
Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:38 AM   #26

languangge install taken 2 sec to pop up

the maon page loading in sections not slow but enough to say annoying
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 9:32 AM   #27

Faster this morning although the photos still take 2-3 seconds to fill in. Makes me think their server is on a slower link than normal.