Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:13 AM   #1

http://www.viddler.com/explore/Adric22/videos/6/

I'm uploading to youtube also, but they aren't finished encoding it yet. This isn't going to be my best review ever, as I had a cold all weekend.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:47 AM   #2

Adr...

Professionally done.

a lil whited out in the vid, due to the sun positioning, but nott he hot dog scene hmmm.

I like the way you had the background going if you do not mind

was that blue screened? or anotehr program? I know the pther viewer we looked at had somethingsimular and . well it is room that isneeded and not a studeo i have LOL?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:52 AM   #3

Any idea WHY viddler keeps stopping dead on me and not resuming? From what I was able to view its a excellent review!
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 12:06 PM   #4

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
I like the way you had the background going if you do not mind

was that blue screened? or anotehr program? I know the pther viewer we looked at had somethingsimular and . well it is room that isneeded and not a studeo i have LOL?
Yeah, I have a green-screen. Well, it is a green-wall actually. I do a lot of other videos for profession and often it is needed. So about a year ago I painted the wall "chroma green." Actually, it didn't look nearly as good in this video as it can look when I take the time to do all the perfect calibrations of the cameras and stuff. But for this I thought it was good enough. Anyway, having a green wall generally isn't good enough because the lightening isn't even and there are shadows. So I also bought several hundred dollars worth of "studio lighting" for the room. On the top, bottom, and sides of the green wall there are long flourescent lights with flicker-free ballasts that light up the wall behind me evenely, even if I'm only 12 inches away from the wall. (no shadows on the wall)

Actually.. I was quite amazed. I tested the Sanyo CG6 with the greenscreen. I didn't think it would work because I've tried other cameras (such as the aiptek) and the MPEG compression generally causes the green screen effect not to work properly (it is a very delicate process) but it actually works very well with the Sanyo and the only reason I didn't actually use the Sanyo here is because I was holding it during the review. I think from now on I'll use the Sanyo for my green-screen shots. Oh.. another reason cheaper cameras don't work is lack of a proper manual white balance. The Sanyo has a "sampling white balance" as seen in the video, which allows me to key the exact color without worrying about it changing on me when the camera decides to change.

As far as software goes, I use Adobe Premiere for all of my editing, which includes the bluescreen/greenscreen feature. It also has another feature that I've never tried before, but essentially you take a picture of the background without you in it, then you use that for the "key" and you can go back and vide yourself in front of the same background (assuming camera has not moved) and it will do the same thing. But again, I've never tried it as I've heard it doesn't work as well as a real green-screen.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 1:24 PM   #5

Oh.. and just in case anyone had any doubts at all of the still image quality of the CG6.. I finally got some pictures on flickr. Go ahead, zoom all the way in and see how incredible these are. heck, I think I only used 2 MP mode for most of these.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/david_murray/tags/cg6/

After seeing these, I think you will have no doubts as to why I just sold my digital camera on ebay - it has no purpose in life anymore.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 1:35 PM   #6

Great review as always. I totally agree with you on the miniDVD issue, but I still think for those who have no PC and are not doing any kind of editing they can still be a good option for those type of customers.

As to the incompatibility of the mp4 format with various editing programs, there is a cool way of getting over that.

It's called Avisynth and you can find out about it here:

http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Main_Page

It's basically a powerful scripting language that allows you to load video files that would normally not be recognised into many video programs that accept AVI files such as virtualdub.

For example you would install it and create a script called 'example.avs' which would contain the following:

DirectShowSource("c:\temp\cats1.mp4")

You would then open 'example.avs' in VirtualDub. You can then process the video as if you had opened the original cats1.mp4 file!

It has lots of commands and you can even do basic video processing in the script itself such as resizing before it's loaded into the video program :-)
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 2:39 PM   #7

Adr. thank you:

it is your profession, for me a hobbie in ways. being the best, and very helpfu to keep this alive the hybrids?

Bluescreen I can do , if I place my mind to it? like in my vid

I again love the background of yours and the other person.

I am opening up online, and today LMAO I was paranoid , people were riding and stayed to my side. I swear there was a sticker on my car or they seen me as a "I know you " LOL.

I believe I have adobe premier the CS2 pkg ,and I hardely use it or hmmm need to learn it?

I know what you mean with the cam's on auto.

the Pics , are wonderful , I only went through a few , i was reminded, by your youngin I need to excercise , my knee that is LOL so I am forced to do a few now

keep thegreat work up:|
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 2:57 PM   #8

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:

Actually, I'm familiar with AVISynth. I used to use it back in the days when you could only have 2 GB files on your PC but I captured files larger than that. (so that I could link several 2 GB AVI files together) I never thought about using it in this manner, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to the average folk. I think using SUPER isan easier option and just tell it to do a stream copy from .MP4 to .AVI container. Actually, sometimes I just tell itto convert the .MP4 directly to a DV file just like you'd get from a DV camcorder. Those files seem to work easier and faster in Adobe Premiere.
Old Aug 13, 2007, 3:07 PM   #9

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:

Actually, I'm familiar with AVISynth. I used to use it back in the days when you could only have 2 GB files on your PC but I captured files larger than that. (so that I could link several 2 GB AVI files together) I never thought about using it in this manner, but I'm not sure I'd recommend it to the average folk. I think using SUPER isan easier option and just tell it to do a stream copy from .MP4 to .AVI container. Actually, sometimes I just tell itto convert the .MP4 directly to a DV file just like you'd get from a DV camcorder. Those files seem to work easier and faster in Adobe Premiere.
I see what you are saying, but the average casual user probably won't be using Virtualdub either which you mentioned in the video. However, if they are using VirtualDub then they should be capable of at least using the minimal capabilities of avisynth. This gives them a great advantage in that they can use the framserver in Virtualdub to frameserve directly to TMPGenc which means you don't need masses of Disc space to convert to MPEG1 or 2!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 3:25 PM   #10

Quote:
great advantage in that they can use the framserver in Virtualdub to frameserve directly to TMPGenc which means you don't need masses of Disc space to convert to MPEG1 or 2
Actually.. believe it or not, I can open these .MP4 files in TMPGEnc on my computer at work just fine, but my computer at home won't. I can't exactly figure out what the difference is. That is why I didn't mention TMPGenc in the video, since obviously something else needs to be installed (a codec or something) that allows that to work.. but I haven't figured out what it is. Besides, TMPEnc doesn't do stream-copy so it is only really usefull if you want to convert it to MPEG1/2 like you said, or if you want to convert it to an uncompressed AVI or something to edit.