Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 13, 2007, 8:05 PM   #1

is this considered a hybrid? how does it compare with other hybrids

squarol is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 13, 2007, 10:23 PM   #2

I have no idea, but sony is a funny company. Here is a company that publically announced in their opinion there should be no hybrids, there should remain two distinct markets for videos and stills, yet they sneak in a hybrid, though I'm sure they wouldn't call it that.

I read the dcresource review and he calls it a "hybrid". I think dpreview reviewed it too. Any way if I remember correctly it did one pretty good, and the other not so good. Don't remember which was better.

I like sony camcorders, but their digital still cameras were always a mixed bag. With a few keepers mixed in there. I hate the memory stick! So I don't be accused of sony bashing, just for the record I own several sony's!
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 13, 2007, 11:33 PM   #3

You know I distinctly remember seeing some video from a Sony M2 (at least I think it was the M2 and not the m1) and I think it was from someone who posted in this forum, a german guy I believe. In fact he may well have emailed it and if he did then I deleted it.

From what I remember, the video looked pretty decent too. I can't remember if he posted any stills though as I was more interested in the video. I think its original price was pretty high for the quality though compared to other hybrids which probably helped its demise.

I used to be a Sony fan too ie I still have a minidisc somewhere! but they don't seem to like standards unless it's the one they invented which is why I more often that not avoid their products now. SD memory is the defacto standard now and Sony should get with the program. I guess they figure by locking you into their standard you'll be more likely buy all their products in order to have cross compatibility but it tends to have the opposite effect on me. I'd be more likely to buy their products if they would just use the standard everyone else was using!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:52 AM   #4

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
.. but they don't seem to like standards unless it's the one they invented..
LMAO, yes, thats about right!
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:36 AM   #5

Well... there is a certain amount of truth to both sides of the argument. For example, years ago I had a sony camcorder which also had a memory stick socket. I had a sony cybershot digital camera (again... memory stick) and I went out to buy a PDA. I ended up buying a Sony Clie. You know why? because I already had a plethora of memory sticks and at the time those memory sticks were expensive and so it saved me money.

That argument really doesn't hold water anymore, though.. You can buy 1 GB SD cards for like $15 and so, if anything, the fact that SD cards are 50% cheaper makes me stray away from Sony and Fuji products. In fact, when I went out to buy my latest hybrid for $300... I specifically remember thinking that I was glad it used SD memory because I wouldn't buy anything that used a propretary memory format ever again.

I kind of interesting side story for you.. THe first time I bougth an SD card was about a year ago when I bought that little keychain Vistaquest camera. It had its own internal memory, but I wanted to try the SD card. I found a 256 MB card really cheap and began to use that. Then I got my Aiptek MPVR+ and I used that same 256 card in it (but later returned the camera to target), then I got the Aiptek IS-DV2 but it came with a 512 MB card, then I got my Sanyo CG6 and bought a 2 GB card for it.

Now.. I've said all that to say this... I am actually surprised how much video I can actually fit on that 256 MB card. My IS-DV2 will record about 15 minutes on one, and my Sanyo will do about 10 minutes. To be honest, this is usually all I need because most of the time I download my video the same day I take it. (the exception will be my upcomming european vacation) But to be honest, I could probably use the 256 MB card in either of the cameras and never have a problem with storage.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote