Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:16 PM   #11

I think we need a better name for what fishy just described! So to keep this seperate from the looser terminology. If I seen that Mustek back in 2001 I would have bought it. I totally love this conceipt!

The general definition is admittingly confusing to a lot of people because it can apply to any camera or any product, automobiles and laptops too! Hybrid=fusion.

So in order to keep this terminology alive and to make it a clear distinction from generic hybrids of any class, we need a better name for this class we are talking about!

Some thing like a Swiss Armyknife video hybrid? I dunno, some thing!

MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Some thing like a Swiss Armyknife video hybrid? I dunno, some thing!
That made me laugh. Of course, there is some truth to it. That is what I think of the Aiptek MPVR+ being that it has all these things:
  • still camera[/*]
  • movie camera[/*]
  • MP3 player[/*]
  • video player[/*]
  • video recorder[/*]
  • card reader[/*]
  • webcam[/*]
  • voice recorder
[/*]
Unfortunatly, it doesn't do any of those things very well compared to other dedicated devices.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:41 PM   #13

Let me say it differently, the CG6 compared to my previous camara (Fuji Finepix S3000) and my current Kodak Z1275, take lesser quality stills to my liking. The CG6 takes good pictures but other Xacti diehards agree that the stills are good to mediocre and videos are great. I had the CG6 and can compare that the Z1275 does not make any compromises with it's video or stills! It's a beutiful 'hybrid' and it does meet many of the options listed:
  • still camera[/*]
  • movie camera[/*]
  • video player[/*]
  • video recorder[/*]
  • card reader[/*]
  • webcam[/*]
  • voice recorder[/*]
The only thing that the Z1275 does not have is it's 'camcorder' shape but even that is debatable. There are many shapes out there like: sony dsc-m2, samsung i7, pentax optio mx4, Kodak v610, etc.

THX-1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 7:42 PM   #14

What about the Sony DCRIP7B [/b]microMV hybrid?

Where would this fall in? It's tape not flash! But looks like our hybrids!

Any one ever see any samples from this? It got mixed user reviews here,
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-DCRIP7BT-...ews/B000063LHM

very pricy even used!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:01 PM   #15

ok, been giving it some serious deep thought, what to call our hybrids, I think I got it,

HYERBRIDS : the original hybrid camera consisting of multiple features including but not limited to video, stills, voice, mp3, webcam, AV in, AV out, SM media, compact size, resembles a miniture version of camcorder, usually under $200.

what do you think?
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:09 PM   #16

that sony is deep in the topics in red forsurein my name

andyes that is a HighBreed
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:10 PM   #17

THX-1138 wrote:
Quote:
modes, 6MP and cost. Bad thing, at least for me, is that it shoots bad stills. The stills have noticeable noise and it gets worse in low light no matter the ISO, Shutter, Fstop, etc. that I throw at it. So I sadly had to return it and look for something with
As promised, I took some indoor photos at home today without the flash. The result? I think it is pretty good. Now, I took them in my livingroom with just the top light on (In other words, I didn't take them in my studio where I have lots of light) and the result is really nice. Now, I can't upload them to flickr right now because my DSL line is screwed up and is dropping so many packets that I can't upload anything. I'll put them up tommorow when I'm at work.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:17 PM   #18

Fishy, I like HighBreed better then Hyerbrid!

ardic22, I'm definitely with you on this! The cg6 surpassed my expectations! Not bad for a HalfBreed!
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:52 PM   #19

Okay.. I managed to get this pictures uploaded:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/david_murray/tags/test/

These were taken indoors with NO FLASH using both the Aiptek and the Sanyo. See for yourself.
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:25 PM   #20

Well never mind the aiptek, I don't think any one expected to see good results inside, but the cg6 is verry acceptable. There is some grain but it does not get worse as you get to full size orig pic. Well within acceptable results, comparable to my Canon D60 at ISO 400.

If we are going to look at grain a better test would be same pic at different ISO settings. But I'm not telling you to do that. I may try that eventually, but it would show the grain effect across the ISO range. Also would need to do inside and outside. I know, a lot of work! But I think that would be the only way to really address the grain. Then compare it to other models, like depreview does.

The only other thing worth mentioning is the WB is off, wonder how that might have effected the grain.

I could not see any grain on the aiptek! Of course I could not see any thing :-)

I think the CG6 does a terrific job with stills! BTW what was the ISO and exposure?

Thanks for sharing!