Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:21 PM   #21

THX-1138 wrote:
Quote:
Let me say it differently, the CG6 compared to my previous camara (Fuji Finepix S3000) and my current Kodak Z1275, take lesser quality stills to my liking. The CG6 takes good pictures but other Xacti diehards agree that the stills are good to mediocre and videos are great. I had the CG6 and can compare that the Z1275 does not make any compromises with it's video or stills! It's a beutiful 'hybrid' and it does meet many of the options listed:
  • still camera[/*]
  • movie camera[/*]
  • video player[/*]
  • video recorder[/*]
  • card reader[/*]
  • webcam[/*]
  • voice recorder[/*]
The only thing that the Z1275 does not have is it's 'camcorder' shape but even that is debatable. There are many shapes out there like: sony dsc-m2, samsung i7, pentax optio mx4, Kodak v610, etc.

Looks like an interesting camera and I'll have to take a look at some reviews of this camera when they start coming out considering it's Hidef and only $249 retail.

You said " does not make any compromises with it's video or stills!" but whenever I have thought about getting a Kodak and read the review, one of the complaints that often comes up is that they overcompress the video with too low a bitrate!

Can you post some original video at a download site so we can have a look at it? I'd particularly like to see what the bitrate and quality is. Certainly seems like a bargain camera.

The other problem I see with this camera is that it is 12MP. This means a noisy sensor and I have a concern that it will suffer from over noise processed images lacking detail at higher iso settings which may be why it looks noise free.

If the video is good though I may look into getting one for this alone. When you say manual controls, are they full manual such as separate aperture priority and shutter priority modes? Does it have manual focus and/or focus lock?

Oh and welcome to the hybrid forums!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 10:45 PM   #22

I just had a look at that video that Morepixels found on the other thread. I see the bitrate is 8MB/s which is pretty decent, almost the same as the Sanyo HD2 at 9MB/s. The video looks good, although I have to say it's a hard choice between this and the GO-HD video wise. The Kodak looks a little washed out at times, but the video is still good for a $250 camera. I would like to see more samples though.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:43 AM   #23

Aipek Pocket dv5300 I own has such a small flash

the mustek too

but the aipte IS-DV, and the MPVR i say isjust fine but without a flash i sure is hel not an INDOOR camera

so if this is the AIptek is it the IS-DV2 theflash could have been used to try to show its best shot and COUGH cough

did you try using night mode it works, andwill demo close to the same shot
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 8:58 AM   #24

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Aipek Pocket dv5300 I own hassuch a small flash

the mustek too

but the aipte IS-DV, and the MPVR i say isjust fine but without a flash i sure is hel not an INDOOR camera

so if this is the AIptek is it the IS-DV2 theflash could have been used to try to show its best shot and COUGH cough

did you try using night mode it works, andwill demo close to the same shot

Which camera are you addressing? The kodak or ardic22's cg6 sample?

If the cg6, then flash would not have been the best way to show how much grain or how good it handles indoor shots.

What ardic22 did show was the cg6's capabilities to shoot indoors with out flash under normal lighting. Using the aiptek toshow the greater advantage of the CCD verses the CMOS.

Flash capabilities would be another test. But I doubt any of these cameras have decent flash capabilities. Too close washed out, too far under exposure, etc. At least the models with a tripod mount you can attach a small video light to improve indoor vids.

If you were addressing some thing else all together, sorry for misunderstanding.

I would like to see the next generation of these hybrids include a flash bracket so you can attach a small light weight portable flash to the camera. Also nice would be either a optical or digital viewfinder to record with out the LCD. Optical would be better. Which the kodak already has.

My only complaint at this timewith the Kodak Z1275 is it does not have the submini camcorder design and shape, and instead a 35mm canmera design. I much prefer the hybrid design like the CG6 and MPVR. I can easily carry either in my pocket. As small as the Z1275 may be, I doubt I can carry it in my pocket as easily.

Updated: I just seen some samples on the Kodak forum. The show stopper for me was every thing blurs out during zooming. Nothing I would want.

MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 3:54 PM   #25

Oh... Somebody asked me before about what ISO the camera was on when I took those pictures. It is worth mentioned one of the many cool features about flickr is that you can click the "more information" link to the right of the image and it will tell you all of this:

Camera:
Sanyo CG6

Exposure:
0.196 sec (10/51)

Aperture:
f/3.5

Focal Length:
6.3 mm

ISO Speed:

Exposure Bias:
0/10 EV

Flash:
Flash did not fire

Image Description:
SANYO DIGITAL CAMERA

Orientation:
Horizontal (normal)

X-Resolution:
72 dpi

Y-Resolution:
72 dpi

Software:
ver1.0.0

Date and Time:
2007:08:14 18:05:22

YCbCr Positioning:
Co-Sited

Exposure Program:
Normal

Date and Time (Original):

Date and Time (Digitized):

Compressed Bits per Pixel:
2 bits

Brightness:
-1/10

Maximum Lens Aperture:
36/10

Metering Mode:
Pattern

Color Space:
sRGB

Digital Zoom Ratio:
0/100

Focal Length In 35mm Film:

Subject Distance Range:
Macro

Compression:
JPEG

Image Width:
1600 pixels

Image Height:
1200 pixels

So, I think that should answer pretty much any questions on those type of things. It actually gets this from the JPEG file just like if you have the file on your PC and you right-click the image and hit properties. A lot of the information varies from camera to camera, but even the Aiptek cameras actually write a good bit of information here, which is pretty cool. most people don't even realize that the information is stored anywhere.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:07 PM   #26

I made that post in the AM hour LOL?

and never seeing the whole concept

the MPVR takes a great indoor shot ifyou use all the features?

but the test was just a basic snap, nothing added? I jumped the gun I do appologise

aI'll sample up a low lit room basic with my casio, and all feature with an aiptek

night shot on an dregular sun in rear,

I just thought showing what the aiptek can do in its regular and best state rather just give one on one and I miss understood:-)
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2007, 4:15 PM   #27

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
Oh... Somebody asked me before about what ISO the camera was on when I took those pictures. It is worth mentioned one of the many cool features about flickr is that you can click the "more information" link to the right of the image and it will tell you all of this:

Camera:
Sanyo CG6

Image Height:

1200 pixels

So, I think that should answer pretty much any questions on those type of things. It actually gets this from the JPEG file just like if you have the file on your PC and you right-click the image and hit properties. A lot of the information varies from camera to camera, but even the Aiptek cameras actually write a good bit of information here, which is pretty cool. most people don't even realize that the information is stored anywhere.
Yes pbase.com where I store my images does that as well. It just reads the EXIF header which as you say, most cameras have and even many of the better cellphone cameras have this info too. ie my Nokia 6682 has the EXIF header.

In the past, the real cheap cameras never had this, for instance my Pencam SD 1.3 doesn't have it.

A good photo program such as the excellent freeware irfanview from www.irfanview.com will even allow you to resave the EXIF header when you resize your photos which is cool, if you have a limited upload size and storage amount.
Old Aug 15, 2007, 7:16 PM   #28

ardic22, all useful information, I didn't know it was readily available, but I still need more information.

What time of day was it?

Are you left handed or right?

Which direction were u facing, E, W, S or N?

Did u consume any alcohol?

If so how much?

How many feet away where u?

What wattage were the light bulbs and how many?

Was the TV on?

If so what was on at the time of photo? If a commercial, which one?

You just can't get this info from the files!

Seriously, that aint bad for ISO 200!!!

MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 6:37 AM   #29

Hi, is it possible to see some High definitions movies from the Z1275?

Thanks
zsound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 8:14 AM   #30

MorePixels wrote:
Quote:
How many feet away where u?

What wattage were the light bulbs and how many?
Actually, you can deduce some of that from the information. The focal range is shown (in this case macro) so that gives you an idea of the range. If it is indoor, without flash you could probably calculate the lighting in the room to some degree based on the ISO and exposure information.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote