Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 16, 2007, 7:41 AM   #31

Sorry for the late response. I will upload some example still shots and videos as soon as possible. I only have been using the camara for the last 3 days for a couple minutes each day (working and not much time to play). The stills shot by the CG6 look well at that size but looking at the shot at it's native resolution you will see the 'noise'. I do not wish to convert anyone, if you love your camara then great! I loved the CG6 but could not live happy with it's still pictures but if you could then the best for you all. The Kodak did it for me though I also wished it had the camcorder shape though it's not a show stopper for me. Nice thread!!!
THX-1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 8:44 AM   #32

THX-1138 wrote:
Quote:
Sorry for the late response. I will upload some example still shots and videos as soon as possible. I only have been using the camara for the last 3 days for a couple minutes each day (working and not much time to play). The stills shot by the CG6 look well at that size but looking at the shot at it's native resolution you will see the 'noise'. I do not wish to convert anyone, if you love your camara then great! I loved the CG6 but could not live happy with it's still pictures but if you could then the best for you all. The Kodak did it for me though I also wished it had the camcorder shape though it's not a show stopper for me. Nice thread!!!
Even my $3500 D1X will show *some* noise indoors, no flash, at ISO 200+, same with my Canon D60. To expect noise free results from any camera under $300 is unrealistic!

The CG6 sample we seen was at ISO 200, no flash, indoors. The amount of noise I seen was well with in the acceptable limits, and frankly surprised it was so good for $300 point & shoot camera! Very close to my D60 @ ISO 200.

I would love to see the native file of the Z1275 under those exact conditions, ISO 200, indoors, no flash. Then we can talk
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 9:33 AM   #33

Quote:
The stills shot by the CG6 look well at that size but looking at the shot at it's native resolution you will see the 'noise'.
Well, the image on Flickr that I posted is in native resolution. if you are referring to the fact that it is a 2MP image, rather than a 6MP image, that is not because flickr scaled it down. It is actually very rare for me to use anything above 2 MP for my day-to-day photographs on any camera. 99% of the time I'm looking at a picture on screen and my monitor is only 1280x1024 anyway. The other 1% of the time, it gets printed to a 4x6 print in which case 2MP is more than adequate for that. Call me crazy, but I think taking pictures at 6MP or more is a waste of storage space unless you have some particular need for the higher setting.

I have planned to do some actual testing on the CG6 when time permits as to if the 6 MP mode actually even delivers that kind of detail. I know my Fuji could not resolve anything higher than about 3 MP, the higher modes were just the same level of detail with more pixels. I need to find out where the Sanyo stands on that issue.

As far as some noise in the image. I don't know.. I guess to each his own, but I agree with morepixels that the image quality indoors is plenty acceptable for a camera in its price range. And if you add to the fact that video is the primary function of this camera (in my opinion) than the still image quality is more than acceptable.

I'm not trying to say that the CG6 is such a great still camera that nobody will ever need anything better. I mean, I've played with my brother's $2,000 Canon Digital SLR camera. It has a "true" 8 MP and its optics can actually resolve all of that. It has depth-of-field settings that can focus in on a subject while leaving the background out of focus, making very professional looking images. sure.. The CG6 doesn't compete with that. What I think it does compete withare other cameras in the $200 to $300 price range that are advertised mostly as still-cameras.

That is why it is truely a hybrid (in my definition) because for the price of the one item, it really can take the place of a camcorder and a digital still camera. So in the end, it is a better deal to buy this item than the other two seperate items.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 11:55 AM   #34

There seems to be some miscommunication on what I am trying to say. I am not claiming an image noise free camara, but instead from my own experience, a camara that has much less image noise compared to the CG6. Both being compared at their maximum resolution, with full auto and same lighting conditions. The CG6 is a nice hybrid, if not the best out there but I personally was looking for a device that takes better stills in low light conditions, MPEG4 videos w/sound(640x480 30fps min.), greater than 4x optical zoom, be able to zoom while taking video, supports SDHC, a nice flash, be at least compact or subcompact in size and cost at or below US$300.

I agree with adric22, a hybrid is the best way to go since you merge two devices in one (camara and video recorder) makes it the best bang for our buck.

I will post a picture taken with the CG6 and one with the Kodak in similar conditions so you can see the difference. Both using their max res. and in full auto so you can see what I am talking about.
THX-1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 8:10 PM   #35

well I would love to see side by side comparrisons from you! And look forward to seeing them in the native files!

My biggest complaint against the Z1275 is the zoom effect not picture or video quality. The show stopper for me was how it zooms. Every thing is out of focus during zoom and then after zoom stops comes back in focus. I have never seen that before. The CG6 has a very smooth zoom maintaining foucs.

I simply found the CG6 stills well with in acceptable limits. If I had the Z1275 I would definitely be doing side by sides! So I can't wait to see your tests.

I just wish I could get the new Sanyo HD2 and be done with all this :G

Old Aug 16, 2007, 8:34 PM   #36

you thokafter 2-3 models it be fixed?

1 the 812 I want to see it is the 612 two steps up and that also did the same thing?My mind isracing, and I am locking my creditcard away!

iam 90 % on the go with a 4 gig sd card tax saved but something in my gut says no?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2007, 9:45 PM   #37

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
iam 90 % on the go with a 4 gig sd card tax saved but something in my gut says no?
I you are talking about the Go-HD... I just couldn't do it. Not me. I think the one issue that I just couldn't live with is Aiptek's wavy video. I can tolerate it on a toy camera like the IS-Dv2, but for the cost of a Go-HD that falls into serious camera territory, and wavy video just isn't acceptable for me. I'd prefer the stable video of my lower-resolution CG6. It is too bad, really, because from the clips I've seen, the Go-HD has some good video quality, other than the wavy issue.

Although.. I'm tempted to buy this new A HD camera, just to review it. As new as it is, I can probably sell it on ebay when I'm done and recover most of my money.
Old Aug 16, 2007, 9:59 PM   #38

If only the Sanyo would drop its price on the HD2 to $299, and the CG6 to $199.

I'd get the HD2 and be done with it!

But no chance of that happening any time soon.

Can't wait to see samples from the new aiptek.

I just don't see any chance of me getting the Z1275 with its zooming problem. Not even for testing.

Bet we see more cool models come out before Christmas!
Old Aug 17, 2007, 8:59 AM   #39

MorePixels wrote:
Quote:
If only the Sanyo would drop its price on the HD2 to $299, and the CG6 to $199.

I'd get the HD2 and be done with it!

But no chance of that happening any time soon.

Can't wait to see samples from the new aiptek.

I just don't see any chance of me getting the Z1275 with its zooming problem. Not even for testing.

Bet we see more cool models come out before Christmas!

Maybe not in the next 6 months but it may be sooner than you think. Like I say, I never thought I'd see a $199 regular definition Sanyo either. I am thinking we'll see a cheaper $499 HD model from Sanyo in the next year sometime which will probably go for nearer $399 on places like amazon.com.

Having said, I have noticed that their prices for the regular definition Sanyos have crept back up to $499 retail for the E1. Still they did bring out the CG6 for $299 so that wasn't too bad.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2007, 10:28 AM   #40

Quote:
The show stopper for me was how it zooms. Every thing is out of focus during zoom and then after zoom stops comes back in focus.
I read this yesterday and I knew I had seen something else like this and couldn't remember what it was. Now I remember. I have a nice CCTV Security camera I use for my indoor videos. If you look here:

http://www.my-pc-help.com/Reviews/Ca...8/Default.aspx

It is the camera on top. Believe it or not, about a year ago I sold my old Digital-8 camcorder and a load of lenses and stuff in order to be able to buy this thing. It has an S-Video output (which is rare for a CCTV camera) and onscreen menus where you can set things like white-balance, exposure, etc. I thought it would be perfect for taking videos with my green-screen. As it was, the 1/6" CCD in my camcorder just wouldn't cut it. Anyway, so I bought this thing and plugged it directly into the S-Video port on my computer to capture video from. I had researched it enough that I was certain I wouldn't need a camcorder anymore for this purpose. (I had my Fuji Z1 at the time for taking videos outside of the house)

Well.. As it turns out, it fit the bill perfectly in every way I planned.. except for one issue. The zoom. Yes, it does the same thing. When you zoom, it goes out of focus. Then it refocuses itself after zooming. Which is weird. I had always been taught that the best way to focus a camera was to zoom all the way into an object and set your focus. That way it would be in focus for that object at any zoom level. That held true until I got this. Anyway, I use it in all of my review videos so any of the up-close videos you see of products and stuff that I'm reviewing were taken with this camera. The only problem I'm having now is that it is interlaced video and some of these new high-res places like viddler do not look very good with interlaced video. So I think in the future I'll start using my Sanyo XG6 for these shots.