Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 14, 2007, 10:47 AM   #41

Here's another twist on Z1275's usability.

In movie mode, is there a limit on the size of the movie? :?

Say, I have a 4GB SD card. Will I be able to capture a single movie upto 4gb in size? Or will I have to take 2 segments of movies, each 2gb in size?

I believe Sanyo Xacti allows one large movie to fill up the card. I think this is important factor that determine whether 720p is really usable or not.Theoretically, you can record 2 hr with 8gb SD card. But if you have to stop recording every 30 min (or 4 movies, 30mineach), I think it's a lot less attractive thena single two hrmovie.

From Kodak's website, it seems like there's limit of 2gb or 30 min. Can anyone confirm this?
haanul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 11:06 AM   #42

Quote:
But if you have to stop recording every 30 min (or 4 movies, 30mineach), I think it's a lot less attractive thena single two hrmovie.
I hear this a lot, but it is really illogical. It is kind of the same argument used against electric cars. Nobody will buy them with a range of only 80 miles on a charge. Everybody wants to be able to say that their car will drive hundreds of miles in a single trip, yet how often do people actually do this? It is the same with cameras, how often would you actually be recording 30 minutes straight? If you are recording that long, chances are you probably aren't ever going to watch it. That was the way people did things back in the 1980's, just leave the camcorder on a tripod during your christmas gathering and let it record for hours. Then, nobody ever watches it because it is boring as can be. Taking short clips and editing them together is definatly the way to go.

My first digital camera that could take movie clips was limited to 15 seconds. This was back around 1999 or 2000. Believe it or not, I'm kind of gratefull now. Taking 15 second clips of important scenes and editing them together forced me to learn how to make more interesting videos by leaving out the boring bits. Granted, I'm glad my current cameras are not limited to 15 seconds. However, I would say that my average video clip is around 30 to 45 seconds, and then often I'll wind up trimming a lot of it off when editing.

adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 12:23 PM   #43

there are many reasons today why they limit a video recording? you can figure that scenerio out , on your own?

Thecasio I own one thought the EX-V7 is limited to 10 min clips? and as well as canon models 1 gig limit per video?

It is a pain andagree, but your answer is best asked , of a person who owns one in the Kodak area?

I am sure the pdf manual tells you as well?

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 12:52 PM   #44

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
Nobody will buy them with a range of only 80 miles on a charge. Everybody wants to be able to say that their car will drive hundreds of miles in a single trip, yet how often do people actually do this?
You have a valid point, there. :idea:

With camcorders, however, the length of time that determines something is useful or not.... depends on individual needs.

I personally think 30 min is okay, especially when the battery is another limiting factor. But 30 min might not be suitable for recording college lectures, funerals, or church worship services. (I think 60 min should cover most occations.)

As for the longer / boring argument, you should be able to skip to any point of the movie, if you play it on your computer, possibly skipping all boring parts. If you put it into a dvd, you should be able to FF in 32x speed.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 1:45 PM   #45

haanul wrote:
Quote:
I personally think 30 min is okay, especially when the battery is another limiting factor. But 30 min might not be suitable for recording college lectures, funerals, or church worship services. (I think 60 min should cover most occations.)
You are right, however, as you mentioned - the battery is going to be another limiting factor. The longest thing I've recorded in many years was my Aikido belt test a few weeks ago. That lasted just a little bit over an hour. I had two hybrids setup, My Sanyo CG6 and an Aiptek camera. Both of them managed to fit it all on the memory card, but the battery was nearly exhausted on both of them. Since I was the one being recorded, I couldn't manage the cameras. Otherwise, this wouldn't have been much of an issue. Had I been recording somebody else, I would have been able to stop the video at some point to replace the battery. Or in the case of a camera with a 30 minute limit, I could have just started the video again after it stopped.
Quote:
As for the longer / boring argument, you should be able to skip to any point of the movie, if you play it on your computer, possibly skipping all boring parts. If you put it into a dvd, you should be able to FF in 32x speed.
Although, what you say is true, I find that in reality it never works that way. I've seen it a hundred times. You go to show a video to a friend or family member and the video is an hour long. You spend 15 minutes hunting through the video to show them the part you wanted them to see. By the time you have found it, the person has been looking at their watch wondering if it is time to go home yet. But what I find more often than not is that even the person who records the video never even wants to watch it again.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 2:13 PM   #46

I found the answer. (My apology for not reading threads throughly.)

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...787735#p787735

Z1275indeed has a limit of 30min in 720p. But it should be able to record 80min in 640*480, that will also result in 2gb.
Old Sep 14, 2007, 4:22 PM   #47

this is why i love my casio EX-V& and aiptek no limitations? I am sure one can modify thebattery compartment fo run limited time

1280x720 720P no timespan

rgvcam did n ot readright

UNLIMITED RECORD TIME
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote