Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 14, 2007, 5:57 PM   #1

I don't get it. All 3 hybrids I've owned have had internal memory. But not enough to do anything usefull with. For example, today I accidently took my Aiptek IS-DV2 with me but left the memory card at home. I thought, "no big deal." If something important came up, I could fit some on the internal memory. You know what I found? You can record about 20 seconds of video to the internal RAM, or about 45 seconds in 320x240 mode. Or, you can capture maybe a dozen still images in 1 MP mode. As it turns out, only about 3.5 MB of space is available for internal storage. Why bother, exactly?

I mean.. I guess if some incredible thing happened and I had the camera without the memory card I could shoot a few still images in a pinch. The irritating thing is I think it is advertised to have 16 MB of internal memory. That would nearly be useable as you could record a few minutes of video on it. My Sanyo CG6 is the same way.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:12 PM   #2

I hear ya

when I go my mustek dv3000 It has no memoryso if leaving that home you cannot even take a pic that costme 300.00 LMAO

today a few mwegs is better than none sorry but I guess

"hey llook what I got, lets take a sample shot"

that is what the internal memory is all about

why

you got me 100 meg be nice LOL
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:25 PM   #3

isn't it needed for the firmware and for possible upgrades? what ever is left is a bonus for user to use? Often we see 30MB internal memory but only 16MB is available because the firmware uses the rest?
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 6:46 PM   #4

I used to wonder this, but I think it's partly what MorePixels said plus I think it's in lieu of a token 16 or 32 MB memory card. From what I understand, it's a cheaper way of doing this which is probably why more and more cameras are offering it.

If I recall my Sanyo C40 doesn't have built in memory so I was surprised when I found the CG6 would record without an SD card!

At least it allows a user who doesn't have a lot of money to be able to quickly test the thing without having to buy a card straight away. I do agree they should offer more memory. While it's probably adequate for a few test photos, you can't really test the video that well.

Still, these things are practically commodities so any way they can shave off pennies to reduce cost they are going to take.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 8:10 PM   #5

Like I saud my first one no internal memory
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 9:06 PM   #6

I'm not familiar with your camera, but most cameras with internal memory let you store a permanent photo album in the permanent memory. You can usually zoom some and move around, but the files are still quite small. So you can get a decent sized album in the memory to carry favorite photos around in.

I would personally prefer internal memory to a useless throw-away card. I don't know of a manufacturer that gives you a memory card large enough to be of any use at all. The internal memory serves some function – at least on cameras that let you store a permanent photo album.

Permanent memory sometimes helps with troubleshooting as well.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2007, 11:09 PM   #7

slipe wrote:
Quote:
I'm not familiar with your camera, but most cameras with internal memory let you store a permanent photo album in the permanent memory. You can usually zoom some and move around, but the files are still quite small. So you can get a decent sized album in the memory to carry favorite photos around in.

I would personally prefer internal memory to a useless throw-away card. I don't know of a manufacturer that gives you a memory card large enough to be of any use at all. The internal memory serves some function – at least on cameras that let you store a permanent photo album.

Permanent memory sometimes helps with troubleshooting as well.
I haven't come across a dedicated photo album function but I guess you can make any memory into a photo album simply by loading it with suitably resized photos. Of course you need to make sure you remove any memory cards while viewing as most cameras seem to make the internal memory unavailable with them in.

For me, my cellphone serves the photo album function, as I always have it with me, which means I am always able to show the photos adhoc without having to know in advance whether I need my camera or not. Also it has plenty of memory for a bunch of family videos as well whereas camera internal memory often has barely enough room for the photos. Of course you could just bring a memory card with you on your camera, but then that would defeat the usefulness aspect of the internal memory! :G
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote