Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 17, 2007, 7:40 PM   #1

http://www.viddler.com/fishycomics/videos/40/

Please view and let me know what you think? I have worked hard on this and knowing a ton of simular How tos are out there so If it is any interest to some, I have adric22 to thank for answering some questions that lead me to my success,

sharing the fun for all to learn

priceless moment for me thanks Fishyc

persons review that gotmy attention first
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 17, 2007, 9:40 PM   #2

Hey that was informative. This is what this forum is about.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:59 AM   #3

It looks pretty good. Although, to be honest, all that work you did on making a bluescreen that appears to be permanently attached to the wall, wouldn't it have been easier to just paint the wall?

Just a short history of my experiments. When first I wanted to do this a couple of years ago I had read several places that blue works best for film photography and green works best for digital photography. Although either will work, supposivley due to the way CCDs catch light, green is supposed to be best, so that is what I picked. At first I constructed this portable screen from some metal pipes and christmas-tree stands. I actually sewed the fabric so that it had a loop at the top so it could slide over the top pipe and hang down. This worked well decently, but it was always in the way. Due to the stands I couldn't get it any closer than about 1 foot to the wall, so it made my room a foot smaller in one direction. The other problem I had was keeping it properly lit and void of shadows. Also with the fabric it was difficult to keep it stretched tight this way and would often form bubble areas and stuff that would prevent it from being lit correctly.

So.. after much thinking I decided to paint the wall. This worked out well because it is always there and doesn't take up any space. However, lighting was still a problem so I added the fluorescent lights on top and bottom. I attached a picture here. I just took this picture for your convenience, although I normally move some of the things like chairs and stuff out of the way when taking video. Also the lights on the bottom are nornally further away from the wall (you can see the bright spot on the wall) but I couldn't get them in the picture for you so I pushed them up a bit. Actually, you can only see about 75% of the wall because I couldn't get it all in the shot, in fact I'm standing outside of the room in the hall-way to take this picture, so the dark area to the right is the door to the room. Another thing I did to help with video is make my computer desk more portable. I bought the glass looking desk you see on the left and got rid of my old one. This one has little holes all over the back and sides in the metal. So I took every cord, power supply, power strip, everything you can think of and placed it in a nice spot and used zip-ties to tie it all down nice and tight. The only two wires comming away from the desk are power and ethernet. This is nice because the desk scoots very easily on carpet (almost like it has wheels) and I can just pull it out of the way if I need to use the entire screen. The screen is large enough that I can do full body shots with more than one person if need be. Only trouble is getting the camera with a wide enough angle to catch it all.

Oh.. by the way.. Is this the first time you've shown your face on video? I think all of your other videos show your body and we hear your voice only..

Attached Images

adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 12:51 PM   #4

Adric:

Thank you for the Info, and kind words:|

1. Yes I have a wall painted Blue, and when I film, I get blotchs, due to paint Mixture , white is in blue, the light/ camer/etc catches it?

2 I am now , before lil hesitant, andliking it more often, dam wish I was a kid again LOL

Win moviemaker I here does not like green?

3. for my purposes, wall or cloth is fine I am happy if it is up ordown

4 I would be looking into a wide angle lens but my camcorder does not manually WB out. and my casio works Perfectly and I can manualy do that. I find that 10 feet is not enough room if I need more I will change the wall?

again iti s loads of fun what can do? thanx again for the support and great advice
Old Aug 18, 2007, 4:23 PM   #5

One thing to watch out for when painting a wall.. I forgot to mention this. But you have to use "flat" paint, rather than glossy. That helps keep the reflection down and the color more pure to the camera.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rw00a1r1w0

Oh.. I forgot to upload this to youtube. I made it last weekend. This was just a test of a few different things. I used the Sanyo CG6 to record this. I wanted to see how well it works on the greenscreen. It actually works better than any digital camera I've used so far. However, the MPEG4 compression does make it somewhat difficult to key out the areas right around my body. There is like an invisible thin halo around my body that you can't see in the original footage, but when you try to key it out, it shows up. It is definatly compression noise. Anyway, It isn't too bad, considering.

Oh.. another problem I had. You'll notice some of the scenes aren't completely in sync with the audio. The trouble here is that when I pull these MPEG4 clips over into Premiere, they play far more sluggishly than if it were a DV clip. And so it was difficult for me to sync them up correctly before compiling the video. I could have converted the clips to DV first, but then they would loose more information due to an additional compression and make the "halo" worse. The only other course of action would be to uncompress the video to a 24-bit AVI file. but premiere plays those sluggishly too.

adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 4:41 PM   #6

nicely done.

I just finished my priemer view, and as I used the webpage asa background I notice that I am outlined like you say. but it is still a great shot, something I am proud of doing? I just need like you said that extra room?

I have 16:9 ratio on the camera I may be moving furniture around and the screen to a different wall?

I know I cannot wear any blue material or I'll be absorbed into the vid

hey that leads to a great video laying down on the bed and removing the covers if I dissapppere or I am Aladen LOL?
Old Aug 18, 2007, 6:01 PM   #7

http://media.putfile.com/dawgin-Fun

http://www.viddler.com/fishycomics/videos/42/

same vid just changed myshets , grabbed my dog and he knows when he is beingfilmed so a short clip of him floating

Well for me doing this LOL I need to mount the camera to the ceiling . LMAO
Old Nov 1, 2007, 8:12 PM   #8

Adric,

Thanks for the info/video.

1. Premiere is supposed to have some of the best keying available, but evenin you were using Premiere with 24-bit uncompressed video, how clean of a key could you get with the VGA resolution? Would there still be some of the halo effect?

2. Am curioushow HD in amore modestly priced keying/editing program would stack up against VGA in Premiere. Would Premiere clearly have the advantage, or do you think they would be pretty close in performance?

Basically, trying to see if the budgetshould be moregeared towardhardware or software. Thanks!

sg333
sg333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2007, 9:24 PM   #9

I have a few programs just purchased, and since the A-Hd, more the magix slows down I use win moviemaker

I may try again to do one again Ihave doe one but cannot remember where the link is at

anyway. what I understand is the Lowe rgrade hybrids will need a manual control of whitebalance that allows adjustment. if not then the sun or any shade wil cause interference. When inspare time I shall demo a clip

Old Mar 14, 2008, 4:03 AM   #10

Just thought I'd add an old video I shot in 2005. Its actually shot with an IS-DV. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuRBGZk6bT0
David951 is offline   Reply With Quote