Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 28, 2007, 6:25 PM   #131

Yes the Klite codecs are for decode, not encode, so you will still need to install proper quicktime files if you want to use your NLE. The highly compressed 720p files will require a decent machine and graphics card to decompress. I would say at least a 3Gig P4 with 1GB ram minimum. Maybe more. I would also say you would need an even better machine if you plan to edit. Personally I would get out of the native codec asap if you plan to edit.
funkydmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2007, 7:27 PM   #132

This 2.4ghz Linux box can decode and display the videos fine using MPlayer. My dual core Vista laptop is effectively running about 1.73 ghz per core and the Quicktime playback is fine. In that case it probably gets one core to itself (the OS on the other). Native AVCHD editing is a big issue at the moment as most NLEs are converting the files to something else on import. Pinnacle claims native AVCHD but it doesn't handle QT files. MPEG-2 was simpler since it utilized short GOPs but MPEG-4 has long GOPs.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2007, 9:35 AM   #133

Well today I returned one of the Hybrids I owned. and caught again a video clip. This time I made sure i was in Infinity, not machro, something I need to address, or find a fix for?

As I loaded a video to a hi-def site , which I may no longer view due to curruption Hdwebtown, sme particular reason it is bugged, I say it is , just me?

1. If you take note of the video, it seemed it waseither a day time or near night time shot LOL? I am into but under the suns light? and this causes glare, and or smear? a purple stream, even some blushing? it can be seen in my low light video, one of them?

As I am facinated by this big blimp, it just seems on camera it is too small. Guess that is an illusion acamera has? what I did notice when filming I was holdig my camera centered allowing the video to film the Blimp was realy going to the left and I am saying when is it going to go off screen? the viewing angle is deffently wider than I believe it is? a good thing? I noticed this as I see my lens is not even near the blimp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jFkcnfFIYY

2 Here is another shot as promised? You may take note how big the blimp is but it is 2x digital zoom?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxq_Ce9kG6c

I guess you need the orginal filesto realy get the feal.?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 2:40 PM   #134

Well after using it a bit, I'm fairly satisfied with the A-HD.

One thing that's horrible is the audio. If you're ever caught.. outside w/ even a slight breeze, or anywhere with ambient music, the audio will be blown out. Inside w/ music blasting? Forget it. It's just bad, real bad. It has to be very quiet for the audio to come out decent.

One cool thing I've found. You can plug the A-HD straight into the Xbox 360 through the USB connection and it'll play your clips in full 720P goodness smoothly. There was an update some time ago adding h.264 playback support.
This is fantastic. No more messing around with cables. If your Xbox 360 is already hooked up to a HDTV, this makes it a lot more convenient to check out the footage on your cam.

Rodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 3:28 PM   #135

Rod.......

Aiptek can never please us all?

Sound. hmmm what as it that you believe is aweful about thesound?

for example? theblimp I am next to the parkway, and breezy, I hardely hear the sound picking up anything LOL so for that I am sure it is more a hybrid to narration, and needs more attention to
Old Oct 1, 2007, 6:52 PM   #136

One weird thing about the A-HD is that the lens barrel is slightly longer than 3". That means it won't fit in about all the small camera bags out there. I just tried a bunch at Fry's with no luck. Another gaff by Aiptek. I wonder if the bag they sell will even work. It does work but just barely with the case that came with the GO HD though only because you can adjust the width a bit with the velcro. So I will probably use the GO HD case for A-HD and use another standard case for the GO HD since it is slightly less than 3" in width and will fit in a variety of cases.

Old Oct 1, 2007, 7:19 PM   #137

it is just a lil taller than the MPVr so I see no reason it would not fit?

As you see this is the official Aiptek bag, it will be yes a lil thicheer on top, and a lil thinner on bottom, my Olympus bag of thed490z series a perfect fit?

guess n o need for expensive bags they're out there just need to look?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:53 PM   #138

There were no bags like that at Fry's believe it or not (and they have quite a few and many are inexpensive).

Regarding editing I just tried renaming an A-HD file to an .mp4 extension and Pinnacle 11 Ultimate, Sony Vegas Movie Studio and Ulead VS 11++ all were able to load and render the file in different formats. Pinnacle doesn't load MOV files, Sony loads the MOV file but not the audio but would if the extension was changed to .mp4 and Ulead loaded the MOV but couldn't render properly. I guess for some reason they weren't expecting an AVCHD file in QT format? I had tried this before with my GO HD files and it didn't work.

BTW, after rebates I was able to buy all three of those editors for the price of one. :-)

Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:47 AM   #139

care to share:G?

the bag is an Aiptek. BB or CC has bags , it's a matter of hitting one for a clearance?
Old Oct 2, 2007, 2:44 PM   #140

You can download fully functioning trial versions of both Ulead VS 11+ and Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum from their web sites.

I looked at CC first but they only seemed to have the more expensive cases. Drug stores and other retail places have inexpensive camera cases but most of them are only 3" wide and you can't poke the lens barrel out of them. Case Logic is also about the only company that prints the dimensions of the case on the packaging. Otherwise people have to bring in the camera to check.