Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 12, 2007, 6:15 PM   #181

Adric, we'll see what happens if you get a "hands on." :G

Wouldn't you know it as soon as I uploaded these (and the first clip to www.hdwebtown.com too) and took off to do a little grocery shopping the torrential rains started coming down. As soon as I returned it leveled off. :sad:

What I wanted to do was shoot the torrential rain for friends in Seattle to see that we get a heavier kind of rain fall than they do since we're only about 30 miles from the ocean with no mountains in between. In Seattle the rain is usually like in my video because the Olympic range takes off the heavier moisture and you only see torrential rain on the peninsula coast (like Neah Bay).

FYI, I didn't move the camera for the "zoomed" image. I also used the remote so that the camera wouldn't shake when I started and ended the shooting.
hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 6:28 PM   #182

Hdguy, hop on to ketchakan? LOL you'll get rain?

Sometimes we're wainting for that shot and we miss it? style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" with te MPVr 7 plus start up time, not good 2-3 secs , much better?

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000" well hope you catch some soon?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:00 PM   #183

Fishy, I just watched your lake clip. You know, something I've forgotten to mention around here. My computer at home is totally incapable of playing the videos from the Go-HD and the A-HD. It is a Pentium 4 / 2.53 ghz. It chokes on them. I get about 1 frame per second. I can play them on my computer at work which is a Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz. It has a little more horespower and plays them just fine. But that is a huge problem that such a powerfull machine is needed to play them.

Fishy - I think on the IS-DV2 that the only difference with smartzoom is that it will remember what zoom level you had it at and keep it there if you start another video, right? I generally leave it off as I rarely use the zoom at all. I did an experiment where I put it down in 320x240 mode and used the zoom. I can say that up to 2X the blocky effect isn't very noticable, but I could detect it. At 4X it is very noticeable. This is sad, of course, because if I took a 3 MP still photo and I wanted to reduce it down to 320x240 I should be able to zoom in quite a bit and crop it off and still maintain decent quality. I should experiment with this. In fact, I think I will tommorow and I'll post some comparison shots in another thread.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2007, 10:48 PM   #184

This machine is a 2.4 GHz P4 and it has no problem keeping up with the videos. Hoever I'm running Ubuntu on it and the playback is with MPlayer. I probably need to recompile VLC for Ubuntu since they don't have the most current version in their packages. I do run a GeForce 6200 LE card which probably helps as it is even has HD output.

My video editing machine is Windows XP Pro and a 3.4 GHz P4. Quicktime on it has no problem playing the videos and again I have another GeForce 6200 but with more memory. My lowend Vista laptop also has no problem with a Core Duo at 1.73 GHz per CPU.

BTW, I notice on the German Aiptek site they now have the A-HD as the AHD100 and they say it is 30fps though the HDTV output can do 25 fps for PAL. I'm surprised it doesn't do 25 fps instead for recording. The US A-HD is actually 29.97 fps not 30 fps like the GO.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 12:43 AM   #185

I don't believe they pre down-rez. If you go to a 2x Zoom, which would be the very first zoom step, you would be half'ing the rez on each axis. 1280x720p = 640x360. That is a 2x digital zoom from the marketing department (but mor of a 4x really) from a 720p image. Were you hopping for some number magic?
Yes digital zoom sucks. You are always sacrificing resolution for blow up( and they alway blow up on both axis). Take it or leave it.
From someone involved in the HD community from the first days of prosumer HD, I can honestly say that this cam has redefined the price performance barrier.
Honestly I see this cam making better pro-sumer video, by locking it down and shooting from two angles. Basic edit in post gives you a very pro image.
With an 8GB card you get 2+ hours. Consider the cost of two cams. Two cams - Two 8 GB memcards - Two tri-pods. How cheap is that?

Fishy- I'm glad you remmoved the transitions. But I don't understand your excitement of making us guess which cam was making what shot. Isn't this forum about sharing info and constuctive discussion? Why play the games? Are we not trying to figure out the pro's and con's of the two models?
I only mention this because you video's, on the other hand, are great.
I think that Aiptek owes you some $$! Your video's are very point by point.
So which modes was showing the best low light?
Please do tell!

funkydmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 1:03 AM   #186

I watched the rainy day clip. The one with the palm'ish tree. First thing I notice was the edge enhacement (EE). This is a digital effect that is used to enhance contrast which gives the impression of high resolution. Notice the dark black lines on either side of the telephone pole just to the right (over lapping the tree). This is very noticable. But it seems only to be extreem in the vertical resolution.
As far as pure resolution just examine the right or left hand side of the palm'ish tree leaves. Look towards the tips as the aim towards the gray house. That is not HD resolution, or should I say "filtered" HD imagery. Clearly there is no sub-sampling. Yet down the center of the tree it looks very sharp. This is the vertical EE. Not pure resolution. Is it raw 720p, or less, imaging (despite its 5Mpixel claim) with no filtering. Fortunately unprocessed 720p does look better then some processed consumer DV(codec) video. Ultimately the lack of video processing and pathetic lens limits the cam to all but "close" camera work for anything close to 720pHD. For something that is so small and records to memory and cheap, it still rocks.

funkydmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 8:14 AM   #187

Funk:

No matter which camcorder shot the video, it shows what the camcorders can do, take night shots? i shall break it down if you like, even though they're just video shots.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQAvKl-gIRk

A-HD nightshot no features on

Go-hd night shot no features on

A-hg night shot night mode on

go-hd night shot night mode on

A-hd night shot no features on

GO-HD day time nothing on, all the rest

Never upset, :-)how can I say this, some guests are turned of by the simplist things, movememnt in a video? So rather try to show movement, or 5 sec clipswhich seems like forever at times, I decided to just do 1 minute clips?

clip 1 shows a lighter Object, great detail, no smear from lights,

Clip 2 same as above, and AUto focusstaysin play

Clip 3 realy shows that the nightmode works if you keep to a minimal in the camcorder no other objects moiving around? the cars that pass looks good.

Clip 4 the same Auto focus working good

Clip 5having just a scene shows you can take a video in night,

clip 6 a ton of movement will play with the auto focuscausing in and out focusing? also we know water will look like Fog or too smooth light is deffently reflecting and looks just good

clip 7 and 8 are Moire effects, the bridge vertical lines would show if this camera has issues in ranbow type effects? as well as the water being foggy? overcastedshots tend to make a camcorderssensor become a lot brighter as well?

Clip 9 and 10 two mor diffrent angles of the Moire effect, and if anything from the road passes will capture a bending of the video? buffer , compression etc?

Clip 11 would be another angle as well.

If I left this info Out I am deeply Sorry, I realy didnot want to go into great detail, or felt like it was not necessary at the time?

But hey. I feal good now LMAO.

Now what Am I using to view my videos a HP M1070N 512 intel pet. forgeting what gig speed does not matter to me it is a XP home edition does the trick?

I should load QT7 to my win 98 model for the hell and see what happs?

Old Oct 13, 2007, 2:54 PM   #188

I am using a trial version ofsony vegas platinuim 8?

I played a burned dvd disk on the tube looks alrightnot great? possably a wrong save?

I believe when the vegas 8 comes I may have a better chance of using it?

I wonder if us older pc users may need an updated dvd burner, with h264 codecs to get the correct files?

what I liked was the close ups WOW, I did not like the trees anddistance Poor? for now it's a start

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=83QP5C1E

here is a wmv file I was able to get out of if I only had blue ray LOl
Old Oct 13, 2007, 3:34 PM   #189

hdguy wrote:
Quote:

BTW, I notice on the German Aiptek site they now have the A-HD as the AHD100 and they say it is 30fps though the HDTV output can do 25 fps for PAL. I'm surprised it doesn't do 25 fps instead for recording. The US A-HD is actually 29.97 fps not 30 fps like the GO.
Hi,
where did you see a AHD 100 ?

I can only find a PocketDV H100
but that is not HD, only records in 640x480
at maximum res...

I just bought a AHD 200.
hartiberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2007, 3:55 PM   #190

Hi,
as in Go-HD you can check the firmware version of your
AHD200 by:

pressing 1 x the mode button.

Then press the mode button and the upper left
button on your display together , and it will show your firmware version.

You can get out of this firmware menu only by switching the
camera off then again.

My model says:

Full:V1.302 10/13 21:49
HW: X5
Time: Aug 18 2007 15:49:5
Nand: TC58DVM82A
Bin: tcdcam_v5v.bin

on 2/3 page:
Lens:TB6512AF
Sensor : MT9P001
ROM: 6 MB, DSP 2048 KB