Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 18, 2007, 10:13 PM   #11

Quote:
Wouldn't the CG6's 6MP CCD play a major role as a advantage over the Aiptek's 3 and 5MP cmos for detail? I also suspect the cmos used contributes in the bending frames too. Surprisingly though my mpvr+ is a lot better then the PDVR I had, which was just horrible.

No, the fact that it uses CMOS has nothing to do with it. It has to do with the way the video is processed internally. A CCD or CMOS device is actually accessed almost identically to how a memory chip is accessed. (I'm into microelectronics as a hobby too) so you just set the address bits on the CMOS chip and read the data lines and find out the status of any pixel you want. Normally, this information is copied very quickly over to a framebuffer, usually some cache-RAM of some kind. From there, the image is compressed and stored.

Well, in the Aiptek cameras they just skip the buffering step. Instead they compress the image directly from the imager, reading it just as if it were a memory chip. This is very bad because by the time it gets to the bottom, the image has already changed some. For decades, analog TV cameras worked in this same way, but the difference is that they scan 60 times a second, so it is not noticeable.

The sad thing is, I always figured the reason they operate in this manner is to save money on hardware. However, I read something recently that said the Aiptek MPVR+ actually had 512 MB of RAM used internally for MPEG buffering and compression. If that is true, then I can't see any reason why they couldn't have space to copy the image over to a framebuffer area before compressing it. Perhaps the data-bus between the imager and the RAM is too slow to grab the whole image quickly. I'm just not sure, I've never been able to talk to somebody who designed these things.

RGVCam - By the way, I think the LEDs are a great idea. It is just that the IS-Dv2 has such poor light performance that the LEDs don't do any good. For kicks, I tried using the IS-DV2's LEDs to light up a room while looking through the Sanyo CG6's viewfinder... the LEDs actually make plenty of light for the Sanyo's CCD.. So the LED is a great idea. If the sanyo had those, it would be able to take video (although poor video) in complete darkness. Whereas the aiptek's sensor is so poor that the LEDs are useless.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 18, 2007, 11:20 PM   #12

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
RGVCam - By the way, I think the LEDs are a great idea. It is just that the IS-Dv2 has such poor light performance that the LEDs don't do any good. For kicks, I tried using the IS-DV2's LEDs to light up a room while looking through the Sanyo CG6's viewfinder... the LEDs actually make plenty of light for the Sanyo's CCD.. So the LED is a great idea. If the sanyo had those, it would be able to take video (although poor video) in complete darkness. Whereas the aiptek's sensor is so poor that the LEDs are useless.
Actually I am not against LED's and do think they are a good idea. They have them on regular camcorders and they do seem to work reasonably well. I have said before that it is due to the Aiptek's CMOS that they end up being nothing more than a gimmick in their case. This is probably why the Aipteks are bad in low light in general.

I got excited when they first appeared on the IS-DV2 but this soon dissipated as my testing showed their effect was next to useless due to the CMOS capability.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2007, 7:26 AM   #13

when I did the review I read throughly what it had?

1 led light was very hard to spot on the hybrid and may be inside the flash o rstrobe?

2 the 5mb cmos sensor I mentioned , I was referringto the megapixals of the hybrid , does it snap 3 megshot in default interpolated- or 5 meg default?

now for led change them to infrared sensors I do not care if my vid is black-n-white most camcorders use them?

and around 200.00 you can get a decent one with it? why not the hybrids
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:09 AM   #14

Where did this footage come from? Did you take it? (You never answered my earlier post, as to if you ordered one of these cameras or not)

Unfortunatly, the video still doesn't give me much of an idea of its capabilities. I've never really tried taking video of fireworks like that, so I have no idea what to expect from good or bad cameras. I'd rather see some regular indoor and outdoor videos taken with the camera. I'm still half tempted to order one of these to take with me to Europe along side my Sanyo CG6. But if it doesn't have any better indoor quality than my IS-DV2, then there is no point.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:17 AM   #15

Adric22:

I be very happy now to answer your question? If you have not noticed the information added in the above, the start, I have the A-HD?

1. As always weather is foul when I order my devices and that leads to delays?

2 Where did this footage come from? The footage came from me all of it? what footage are we referring to? the fireworks on Hdwebtown? that is I?

The A-HD compared to the GO? I need just a little more time to truely make a comment, and have the Go, in hand?

Did i answer your quetions, or are they still unanswered?
Old Aug 26, 2007, 11:00 AM   #16

I have to agree with adric on this one, in that the fireworks videos really don't give us a good idea of it's hidef capability.

Having said that I know you'll give us some regular indoor and outdoor shots in due course. Also some macro shots if it has that capability.

Have you noticed any problems with constant background noise in quiet situations? This was the big problem with the 2 GO-HD's which I ordered. I hope the got that problem resolved with this new model and haven't introduced any new foulups like they did when the went from the MPVR to the PVR!

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 12:57 PM   #17

Fishy, yes that answered some of my questions. I have thought about buying the A-HD, but I wanted to see an indoor and outdoor sample video before deciding.
Old Aug 26, 2007, 1:30 PM   #18

Thanks Guys:

The weather Plays a toll. and sure enough it is not great.

1. I will place up, an outdoor footage and interior footage?

2. Did HD webtown work for you? because it is Direct no zipping?

Ths is Machro and it is uploaded live at Hd webtown.com

look for A-hd machro video titled

Brown is difficult to film, The Tube is on and it is a normalvolume, I believe the sound is a lil low on the Model , but tell me if it is good or bad? Will load

Also look for A-Hd outdoor machro titled

These are impaitience at about 2 plus feet as suggested and I believe the Colour speaks for itself?

As I have a video of an Outdoor , overcast I am happy very pleased with the sound on a windy day.

http://www.upfordown.com/pupload/view/2809Zip folder

notice that the ambulance is bending and notice the awning, tell you what notice the overcasted day and how nice the video is ?

I did not talk in the clip but did on another?

The clip below is of an Indoorshot hope it shows the detail og HDTV that is playing in the background lvd in hi-def

http://www.hdwebtown.com/community/i...nd_id=O1nj1KAs

Old Aug 26, 2007, 5:58 PM   #19

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
The clip below is of an Indoorshot hope it shows the detail og HDTV that is playing in the background lvd in hi-def

http://www.hdwebtown.com/community/i...nd_id=O1nj1KAs

I got an invalid session id error message. Did you make this clip public?
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26, 2007, 6:35 PM   #20

the HD Webspot is a public site no way of savinga Link to display that individual one, NOR make private or Public. I am able to delete my video that is it. the Direct download is up if that helps out?