Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 22, 2007, 3:23 PM   #221

Now some notes on my first tests with this AHD200 camera.

If you use this camera to shoot HD videos, you MUST use a tripod
and never pan very fast.
If you pan too fast, you will see artifacts, especially,
if you shoot in nature many small things like leaves or
tree with many small branches.

As the datarate of this camera is pretty low, you can not pan
very fast, because otherwise you will see encoding artifacts.

Also the digital zoom is almost not usable, if you really want to have
also zoomed HD footage, try to get a zoom lens you could
maybe fix onto the built in zens.

The digital zoom zooms into the 1280x720 footage,
so you only get left 720x360 resolution
at the maximum 2x zoom.

Also the macro mode is not too good, as
it is only sharp from about 30cm to 1.5 meters,
but blurred at 2-3 cm ( about 1 inch) for instance.

So as a hardware freak and with this low price,
it might just be a good idea to hack this camera
and remove the standard optics and install
a changeable lens adpater and use just good
still camera lenses to enhance this camera...

This might be a very good project to start and compare the
output from it versus the standard lens.

Also the microphone inside the camera is not too good !
You can not record any loud scene as this will
distort the sound.
This could probably also be corrected to hack the camera
and put a microphone jack to the outside of the camera
and use a better external microphone maybe with
a volume knob for recording louder scenes or
rock concerts.

But if you can live with these short comings
and don´t miss the zoom and record all scenes
with very slow moving camera work, then this
camera is a real bargain for this price tag.

Regards, Stefan.
P.S. I have recorded a few demo movies for you guys
out there, but haven´t had the time to upload them yet.
Will do so in a few days and post the links to them.
Stay tuned.
hartiberlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 4:17 PM   #222

Excellent , Bravo

I guess i can go out and be a gunepig again and get one at 109 on sale usc or 119 as well?

hopeing iti sver 13. or possably 14.01
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:44 PM   #223

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BHHXVZM6

above is a zip file 2 plus min of Hungry for Hi-Def all A-HD video?

http://blip.tv/file/440354

above will be a linkbliptv

the video shows the cameras ability in hi def that can be edited and usedwith magix. problem is the pc's speed made for higher pc while I am at boarderline and very happy.

I am now in HD times
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2007, 9:50 AM   #224

Been asking this on the forums here for a while, but the a-hd looks nice, the sample I saw was great. For the indy film my friend and I are making, I think this might be good. Reading above though, to many artifacts in the footage?
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 1:33 PM   #225

Well, you could probably get your film notoriety by promoting that it was done using a really cheap camera. But I would also use an external audio recorder and maybe one of the inexpensive ones too (also for notoriety) since they still will give you much better audio than the camera.

Probably the lowest priced camera for film making though is the Canon HV20 since it shoots 24 fps and I've seen some pretty stunning footage from it (albeit shot by a professional cinematographer). There are some issues with importing the 24 fps footage into an NLE that you'll want to research.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 4:03 PM   #226

The HV20 is great, but no funds for that. A Sony Mini Disc Recorder will be used. Go to www.indymogul.com and they are great. So much information.

Really just need standard definition and such, but if we can save some money and go quasie hd and then downstep it, then perfect. Sync with clear audio and go from there. Also the CG6, which is dropping price at walmart, is going to be a stand by. Great standard definition 4:3 movies that many have said burn to dvd nicely and I have seen samples, stunning.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 8:41 PM   #227

The A-HD is only suitable for locked down shots for any form of narative film making. I assume by "indie movie" you mean a spare time fun project for you and your friends, and not something that you would consider a film transfer with? Please say yes?
The A-HD offers no manual control except minor exposure. If you want to make something with a moving camera, pans ect.. You would be far better off with a low cost SD cam such as a Canon optura or such, that let you have some manual controls, and a codec that handles cam movement. They cost about the same $$ if you include a 8gig card for the A-HD.

funkydmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 10:22 PM   #228

sandmanfvr wrote:
Quote:
Been asking this on the forums here for a while, but the a-hd looks nice, the sample I saw was great.* For the indy film my friend and I are making, I think this might be good.* Reading above though, to many artifacts in the footage?*
I don't like raining on people's parades (unless their an pretentious trying to actually design an indy film camera with little objective ability, knowledge. or ear to learn, like I've had to deal with before). Unfortunately, what they are saying is true, the camera is amazingly lacking to make an Indy film.

However post film processing to intelligently de-block/debluryblob and de-artifact to an higher data-rate format may help, but probably not enough.

So, recording the component/video, which is what I am interested in, may also help. Problem is the output might be compressed (then no advantage) limited to SD resolutions which would be cheaper recording resolutions and better than too compressed HD). But, if it is uncompressed HD, it will require an Intensity PRO PC card, and small computer (unless there is an cheaper component solution) which would boost the cost to as much as an Canon HV20, but be better in many ways).

Personally, it would be good to test the component and video output for compression and resolution and accuracy (as it might be bad analogue output) and testing de-blocking and de-artifacting tools.

I suggest going over to dvinfo, look in the alternative imaging forums fro the Elphel camera threads for what solutions they use for de-artifacting and de-blocking of that camera, and then go over to the Sanyo forum and look for the solutions they use over there (would be older threads). Don't fall for the allure of the Elphel camera, they are very heavily compressed with MJPEG, but are currently trying to establish higher quality compression, and new cameras that record lossless/visually lossless to hard disk.

You might like to look at the Samsung HD camera for $799 (forget the model number). Uses the same codec chip manufacturer as this camera, but runs at around 12Mb/s at 50fps (drop every second frame and slow down video 4% to get 24fps with audio pitch compensation.
I can keepign an list fo suitable cameras for low end indie film, if you want to hear it I can list some.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:11 PM   #229

Lucky me I have found a US friend who will ship to me. Now my question to anyone who may want to answer (Hi Fishy) is what current US distro's have plenty of stock, and ship in the US? Also to go with that does anyone want to provide a link to very well priced 4 or 8 gig cards that are known to work with the a-hd?
Cheers Funky

Old Oct 24, 2007, 11:25 PM   #230

Wayne12 wrote
Quote:
don't like raining on people's parades (unless their an pretentious trying to actually design an indy film camera with little objective ability, knowledge. or ear to learn, like I've had to deal with before). Unfortunately, what they are saying is true, the camera is amazingly lacking to make an Indy film.

However post film processing to intelligently de-block/debluryblob and de-artifact to an higher data-rate format may help, but probably not enough.

So, recording the component/video, which is what I am interested in, may also help. Problem is the output might be compressed (then no advantage) limited to SD resolutions which would be cheaper recording resolutions and better than too compressed HD). But, if it is uncompressed HD, it will require an Intensity PRO PC card, and small computer (unless there is an cheaper component solution) which would boost the cost to as much as an Canon HV20, but be better in many ways).

Personally, it would be good to test the component and video output for compression and resolution and accuracy (as it might be bad analogue output) and testing de-blocking and de-artifacting tools.
I agree. Even with the massive PP work needed to elevate the footage, it would instantly erase the cost savings of the A-HD. Even if uncompressed component out works (does this cam even offer this option? or is HD HDMi only??) there is little to any quality in this cam to make it worth the time and money. The lens should end all discussion of "advanced capabilities" instantly. Lack of shutter control or other such basics make the concept of desinged work laughable.
Although if you are a genius, go for it!