Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 25, 2007, 1:07 AM   #231
Senior Member
 
Wayne12's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,071
Default

Where are you?

I have an friend visiting the US at the moment, and am trying to get him to pick up one from Target, but have not heard back from him for days.

The camera offers what I call an minimal indy camera sensor, the manufacturer as used in the Elphel camera. It has rudimentary indy quality picture, but way too much noise, even if it is much less than the Canon Tx1.

With the Sony HC1 camera, they found an way around the shutter problem, as the shutter had an sequence between game, shutter speed and aperture, by learning the sequence and controlling exposure, they could get desired results. You can buy eternal shutter units, and put an lens adaptor and use it's aperture, to control exposure.

It is so cheap, it is worth hacking off the lens and fixing an SLR lens through an RGB spectrum triplet relay lens. This is the sort of thing they would get up to over at dvinfo, somebody on the web =did it with an Z1/FX1 video camera (but think they avoided the relay lens).
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 3:28 AM   #232
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,621
Default

bestbuy and target are on a great sale i where are the people located that visit?

Domestic shipping , and a local pick up
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 1:46 PM   #233
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 296
Default

funkydmunky wrote:
Quote:
Wayne12 wroteI agree. Even with the massive PP work needed to elevate the footage, it would instantly erase the cost savings of the A-HD. Even if uncompressed component out works (does this cam even offer this option? or is HD HDMi only??) there is little to any quality in this cam to make it worth the time and money. The lens should end all discussion of "advanced capabilities" instantly. Lack of shutter control or other such basics make the concept of desinged work laughable.
Although if you are a genius, go for it!
The look would be part of the conceit. I've seen films done with consumer VHS cameras. It's the story that is important. I'm sure someone will shoot some film using the A-HD or something like it. Indie and Hollywood films have been using consumer cameras to "steal" shots. To "steal" a shot is to shoot in a crowded area like a street without a permit. That way the cops only think it is a tourist shooting video of some friends. Small cameras like the A-HD and Sanyo would be even more inconspicuous and a camera like the Kodak 1253 which looks like a still camera even more so. Usually these scenes work under a conceit that it is something shot with someones video camera or even cell phone camera.

I look in on some of the film making groups and watch the arguments over shooting HD versus film. There is a group of cinematographers that don't like HD and try to come up with all kinds of reason not to use it but I think the unsaid reason is "job security" and they don't want to learn a whole new medium. With today's cameras like the Genesis and the Viper it is hard to tell the movie wasn't shot on film. Check out "A Mighty Heart" which was shot in HD and they rave on the extras about how it allowed them to shoot in tight places creating the reality of the events that happened.
hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 4:30 PM   #234
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 62
Default

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
bestbuy and target are on a great sale i where are the people located that visit?

Domestic shipping , and a local pick up
The "friends" are in South Carolina.

funkydmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2007, 4:43 PM   #235
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 62
Default

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
funkydmunky wrote:
Quote:
Wayne12 wroteI agree. Even with the massive PP work needed to elevate the footage, it would instantly erase the cost savings of the A-HD. Even if uncompressed component out works (does this cam even offer this option? or is HD HDMi only??) there is little to any quality in this cam to make it worth the time and money. The lens should end all discussion of "advanced capabilities" instantly. Lack of shutter control or other such basics make the concept of desinged work laughable.
Although if you are a genius, go for it!
The look would be part of the conceit. I've seen films done with consumer VHS cameras. It's the story that is important. I'm sure someone will shoot some film using the A-HD or something like it. Indie and Hollywood films have been using consumer cameras to "steal" shots. To "steal" a shot is to shoot in a crowded area like a street without a permit. That way the cops only think it is a tourist shooting video of some friends. Small cameras like the A-HD and Sanyo would be even more inconspicuous and a camera like the Kodak 1253 which looks like a still camera even more so. Usually these scenes work under a conceit that it is something shot with someones video camera or even cell phone camera.

I look in on some of the film making groups and watch the arguments over shooting HD versus film. There is a group of cinematographers that don't like HD and try to come up with all kinds of reason not to use it but I think the unsaid reason is "job security" and they don't want to learn a whole new medium. With today's cameras like the Genesis and the Viper it is hard to tell the movie wasn't shot on film. Check out "A Mighty Heart" which was shot in HD and they rave on the extras about how it allowed them to shoot in tight places creating the reality of the events that happened.
Yes the look would have to be part of the concept. But if that concept involves any cam movement, the look will be crap. The cam could be used in a doco type project with static interviews and such.
It is not a matter of accepting new tech, it is a matter understanding the limitations of that tech, and not imagining it can come close to what is a limited consumer cam in the Canon HV20. This isn't a film vs. video debate.
funkydmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 1:55 PM   #236
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Default

I just bought the black A-HD from Target this morning at $129.99. The firmware verison is 1.408 and date was Aug 31, 2007. All other info are the same.

However the lens cap is missing I haven't decided yet if I should exchange one in Target or call Aiptek to send me one.
laser310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 2:09 PM   #237
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,621
Default

Welcome to the Club?

your option is to call or return for an exchange? I understand you think you have the latest firmware and hope you do not get stuck with an older one? well Aiptek on the otherhand will not release any firmware of the A-Hd they think hey have a perfect model.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 2:28 PM   #238
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2
Default

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
Welcome to the Club?

your option is to call or return for an exchange? I understand you think you have the latest firmware and hope you do not get stuck with an older one? well Aiptek on the otherhand will not release any firmware of the A-Hd they think hey have a perfect model.
Thanks.

Since it's just len cap missing, I would think Aiptek will want to send me a cap instead of letting me to unpack another package in Target...
laser310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 2:37 PM   #239
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 296
Default

funkydmunky wrote:
Quote:
Yes the look would have to be part of the concept. But if that concept involves any cam movement, the look will be crap. The cam could be used in a doco type project with static interviews and such.
It is not a matter of accepting new tech, it is a matter understanding the limitations of that tech, and not imagining it can come close to what is a limited consumer cam in the Canon HV20. This isn't a film vs. video debate.
It's not a debate either, just a chat.:-) Of course even the Fisher-Price PXL-2000 was used in films including Richard Linklater's "Slackers." I almost bought one of these when they came out (they were $99 when on sale) but a few years later settled on a Canon A1 Digital (Hi8) for my first camcoder.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PXL-2000

Though I never rented it a friend had a feature film DVD at his rental store that had been shot with one.

(How funny that the term Hi-8 puts a Emoticon there.)
hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2007, 2:52 PM   #240
Moderator
 
fishycomics's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC NY
Posts: 9,621
Default

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTK5lhDyJ2w

this vid shows the internal sd andexternal sd crash

on the external it taken a few tries and well rather go through all of them I decided to just stop on the three i hit at first try?

1 sandisk 128 crashs and casues lock up and black screen

2 Pny 2 gig will do the same

2 256 san disk has acard change every on it shows it. I believe the camera likes sdhc cards over standard cards?

Aiptek must do these tests and not hear it from the consumer we love the product but not the defects.





Crashing of a sd card in camera?

1 Iown a few cards , like 12 from san disk, Adata Pny and a sdhc cards

Here is what I found out that the camera does not like

standard sdcards with the old firmware.

One card in it will give a black screen

one card in will keep repeating card exchange

one card in will not give issues? will need to get this on video for all?

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 6:49 PM.