Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:30 PM   #361

On a differant topic, in regards to image quality. We all know by now the A-HD encoder can't keep a pristine image with high cam motion given the bit-rate. My question is, how is the image given the same conditions when using the 480p mode?
I belive the image is captured at the same bit-rate regardless of the resolution, so does the 480p mode provide less artifacting given the same stress (high speed pan for eg.)
Also how does HD vs. SD relate to low light performance? Anyone want to test a dim scene and switch a stationary cam from HD to SD and see if there is a diff. I'm not sure how exposure will play into this, does it lock?

funkydmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:35 AM   #362

Huh? The camcorder already has audio-in and video-in inputs. The problem is the current software doesn't let you select just the audio-in combined with the internal video video feed. Currently if you want external, you have to record both the audio-in and video-in.

funkydmunky wrote:
Quote:
So you are suggesting that they add an external mic-in?

Don't see that happening unless it is on a whole new model "B-HD" perhaps. It isn't like they can make it happen from a firmware. Given the cost of the cam the best hope will come in the form of a DIY hack.
IMHO the reason the volume is so low is that the cheap crap mic can't handle much in the way of loud volume, as experienced by audio blow-outs in early models. Better to have quiet audio then blown out audio, right?
shtirlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 2:23 AM   #363

The audio-in/video-in are for the analog to digital conversion only, and captures to 480p only. This is a completely differant function then the 720p capture that comes off the CMOS sensor. So IMO it does not have the performance to do both at once.
If Aiptek can do a software hack to their design it would be great news. But I wouldn't bet on it.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 3:31 AM   #364

1 D1 setting is the 720x480 resolution which you're referring to sd (standard resolution)

2 there is a model that already has a mic in from Aiptek a member owned it and claimed nott he best deep in the threads.

3 firmware to change direction of parts, I do nott hink that will happen, more of someone bypassing the parts over trying to tweak the settings.

the mic is hardwired to a motherboard and you cannot just shut off the mic, and have the av inpput of the Audio video input. It may have been tested out already, and this may be the reason why the Aiptek.de av input was enabled?

4 the more one returns a product, the more one raises the price , and restocking fee, and why color schemes and models change.

We are in all the same boat and why these are Economy camcorders, happy it works for me

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1NQ6DZJL

the above link is about 1 min made for antherforum, it is an AV input yes very happy and wish to have a mic like tht
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:47 PM   #365

Funk......

At your request I have some 720x480 D1 (sd) resolution being placed as a single file will do a zip, and a vimeo or Blip load

http://www.vimeo.com/384801
Old Nov 13, 2007, 3:36 PM   #366

Thanks for the 480p clip, but that isn't what I requested (I know it has a SD mode and it works)
What I am looking for is a comparison SD vs HD.

A simple shot of a dim indoor environment shot is 480p then 720p. This would give me a comparison of low light ablitity and show if the SD mode offers better low light performance.

For the second comparison a semi fast pan left and right is SD mode, then the exact same shot in HD. A well lit environment would be best to show the level of artifacting.

Each clip can be as short as 3-4 seconds. If they could be put up in native format (untouched) that would be best for a comparison.

Cheers.

Old Nov 13, 2007, 5:53 PM   #367

fishycomics,

"http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1NQ6DZJL

the above link is about 1 min made for antherforum, it is an AV input yes very happy and wish to have a mic like tht"

this file is titles somethingII.zip

looks like a filter/effect for some video editing app

maybe you got the wrong link?

I would like to see the an av input sample
the_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 6:05 PM   #368

So I email Aiptek through their web form about sending me the latest firmware since the audio is really blown out on mine. I mentioned I have 1.302 and that read 2.002 may fix the audio issue.

Here's the response I received:
Where is it that you read about a version 2002? This information would be helpful.
What kind of BS response is that? Shouldn't they know about their firmware and the problems associated with their product?
I just can't believe I got this one liner. Just send me the firmware. What's up with that?

Rodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 7:00 PM   #369

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=R11HGW4K

av input vid it is edited with titles

Rodfather The firmware fix will enable all future firmware to the camera this may be one reason why it is being withheld. the problem is being worked on, and they have about 15 plus video's to work on?

i would use a editing tool that allows audio clean up before attempting a firmware upgrade
Old Nov 13, 2007, 8:20 PM   #370

SMSG Decoder question

Could you please post the script for 1280*720 with NTSC, I edited the fields that I thought needed to be changed to accomplish it but it did not:

Here was original unedited script

-oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -vf scale=720:576,harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=98 00:vbitrate=9800:keyint=15:acodec=ac3:abitrate=192 :aspect=16/9 -ofps 25 -o "<OUTPUT>.mpg" "<INPUT>"

Version that Iedited to get 1280 by 720 and NTSC

-oac lavc -ovc lavc -of mpeg -mpegopts format=dvd -vf scale=1280:720,harddup -srate 48000 -af lavcresample=48000 -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg2video:vrc_buf_size=1835:vrc_maxrate=98 00:vbitrate=9800:keyint=15:acodec=ac3:abitrate=192 :aspect=16/9 -ofps 23.976 -o "<OUTPUT>.mpg" "<INPUT>"

It did not seem to like it, so I made a mistake someplace

bossman is offline   Reply With Quote