Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 16, 2007, 5:02 PM   #381

the_killer wrote:
Quote:
I won't use this cam for youtube,

youtube.com will recompress a lot and you will lose the best thing of this camera,

its video quality

I would buy a cheaper cam that will record at 640x480 and with a better microfone
cheap cam=cheap video which I am not after. I know youtube compresses but that doesn't matter to me. I also want to film my baby niece and not have the video look all crappy either.I'm still considering the flip ultra

Anyone else care to comment?
CandyLadyNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 5:31 PM   #382

CandyLadyNJ wrote:
Quote:

1. If I buy the a-hd720 from best buy, will it be defective or they all like that with the sound glitch etc???

2. What SD memory cards WILL work with the aiptek so this spares me from taking two buses all the way back to BB. Do I have to get the SDHC or can a sandisk ultra work just as well? I want a card that works fine! If I format it first will it work or is there a chance it will screw up? If it glitches up, if I remove it will it work?

3. What is the EASIEST way to get videos on youtube? Will the web setting work fine? Can a 1-2 minute video be uploaded raw or do I have to use compression software??

4. Does this thing stand up to regular weekly use or is it flimsy?

5. Is this camcorder worth getting and has anyone returned theirs?

6. What is good moviemaking software to use with this? Will windows movie maker work?

Please also respond to PM me thanks!
candy Welcome aboard. many pages of info, Sale or no sale the camera will always be on a sale at 109-119.00

to answerall your questions. I own the camcorder and Use it everyday, it will hold up. if you have one in the hands it may not feel that way.

so let me start with no.1

There is no way of telling if a camcorder is defective until you open it , when you do get it you want to make sure you have the correct Firmware 12.0 is the oldest and in blue the camcorder, 16 is the newest with the fixed issues ( no fixed issues of sound) 2.002 is the latest fix with lowering the gain of sound adding mac usb, and additional languages andcanceling future firmware loads.

no. 2

Any standard sd card. Sandisk, and PNY may be used but if possable try a different brand no ultra or high speed neccessarry Format in the camera by going to settings up about 4 steps and format/yes done if you do notformat it may constatly flash. I learned that the hard way. SDHC cards will not show in playback on camera.

no. 3

you may load into youtube .mov files they convert to flash, Vimeo will allow you HD quality and not change a thing but convert to flash 2. while offering direct download, Bliptv another good place. Super can be used ifyou preferre to downgrade or further your horizons.

no 4

I have owned the A-Hdsince Aug 20th or so.3 months later still looking good. I do not like the screen being loose it is springy, my older model loosened up so farso good no complaints heard of breaking.

no.5

alot ofpeople who are professionals will return these they are serioususers and believe anything lower than their expectations of a high end model is a toy. so yes peoplewill return for number of reasons.

their pc or mac not fast enough , being atoy, not filling their needs poorsound, software a joke, the list can go on and on,why return a economy hybrid thatis not even a few tanks fuls of gas

no. 6

win Moviemaker wil lnot work with this unless you convert. Super is a freeware and will convertfor win movie maker you'll lose quality, I cannot recommend but will suggest magix pro editor for 30.00 at BB when you go . work s good forfast machines

as you know a fast pc or mac must be had Quicktime 7 orhigher. and happy filming
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 5:46 PM   #383

Thanks fishy! I just watched a lot of your videos on youtube and vimeo. Video quality is beauitful. The tv in my room is justa standard so will the HD videos look ok on a normal tv? The tv in the living room is hd compatible.

I have a Acer extensa 5620 laptop which is a dual core 2 centrino 1.50 ghz so I'm pretty sure that will be fine if I actually bought the aiptek a-hd 720.

I noticed BB has kingston SD cards so I might try them since you suggested other brands beside sandisk & pny.

Thank you again for your answers! I am still sorta on the fence between the flip ultra and the aiptek (only because of the sound issue) but after watching some videos. The sound doesn't sound that bad if it's not outside and noisy. When someone is talking inside, does the person have to shout or speak really loud to be heard? If I wanted to a video blog with this camcorder I'm wondering if I would have to shout so it's really loud and clear.

Old Nov 16, 2007, 8:17 PM   #384

CandyLadyNJ wrote:
Quote:
Thanks fishy! I just watched a lot of your videos on youtube and vimeo. Video quality is beauitful. .

Thank you candy

the camera is a hi def and standard tv output. if the tv does not have HDTV or RGB rca plugs (video only) then HD willnot play and you'll get lines all over the tube you need both the tv out and hd out for vid and audio. I hardely ever watch from the camera to the tv.

The blogging will work fine, If you're within a 4 foot radius. light is essential at nighttime and even during daytime , ON ANY CAMCORDER. I even attempted a distance video I was able to record over 25 feet and still be heard on most my hybrids i owned. the A-Hd helpd up. on the test

I am never pushing the A-Hd, it has a low level mic, and a great video output, the Flip may also be a good 640x480 480P standard definition camcorder with a good sensor but low light will be less forsure while the Ambrellaa chip of the Aipteks today have imroved.

the Flip I seen a vid and it held strong but cannot promise you anything on it.

SD card is a prefrence all works fine but possably older ver camcorders may not likesome. laptop or pc playback there are megauploadvids try one test one

Old Nov 16, 2007, 8:52 PM   #385

My last question I forgot to ask is..how do I get the EARLIERfirmware version 16? I do NOT want the last firmware that doesn't let you upgrade the firmware. Would aiptek emailthat version firmware or if I bought the camcorder, could someone email it to me?

Where is the list of firmwares and the issues it solved??

Old Nov 16, 2007, 10:22 PM   #386

To anyone who knows.
I don't understand this last firmware not alowing firmware upgrades. Does it just prevent you from downgrading maybe?? Or are we saying it won't allow the user to even initiate a flash so no possible use of a future firmware?

funkydmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 7:33 AM   #387

Firmware:

2.002 is the Firmware only given out from the Office of Aiptek in that location. All Aiptek Hybrids will not say what Firmware is on the box IF that was the case then there be different pricing showing what is new and old.

Firmware on the market will be from 12.00-through-16.00

Blue A-HD 12.00-16.00 ver

Black A -HD13.00-16 ver

All are hit and miss.

After recieving your hybrid use it and forget about the fix unless you have issues with :

USB for MAC's

High gain on mic

less languages

Once you recieve the Firmware "ONLY FROM AIPTEK"

when you load it in no more reloading, I have proven this, and requested a fix and a resolution.

the flash may be disabled my record and back button are no longer functional on flash

When you Bypass a Company for firmware , what happens. you tell them you got a perfect working camera,what do they do? they make a new model, and the price may vary ?

You get the camera , you tell them the problem, they fix it, they correct for the future.

If you recive firmware outside Aiptek, what are the chances of things going wrong a lot , a member here already said they had the PVR and was saying they had the MPVR while they crashed the camera due to incorrect info.

Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:30 AM   #388
vvr

Hi Fishy,

How did you remove the noise using magix? did you drag and drop an audio fx? which one?

thanks!
vvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:26 AM   #389

I learned the program LOL

Video on the timeline, right click on audio. and then decide what to do with the controls if you need to adjust one of the three or all of the tree.

if cannot get to the Audio cleaning go to

edit and you'll see it there. from memory enjoy
Old Nov 17, 2007, 3:23 PM   #390

Hey I finally got the Aiptek A-HD 720 from Best Buy for $119, got a PNY 2 gb SD card and a tripod for digital cameras and small camcorders. I haven't used the tripod yet. I had no problems whatsoever with my PNY SD card and am happy with it. The 720 feels nice in my hands (I have small hands) and I like the feel of it. Fishy is right, why this came in this plastic packaging is beyond me. Also why on earth doesn't this HD camcorder come with a carrying pouch at least? Even the flip ultra comes with one! Anyway..It's a nice size, easy to hold and easy to use. The record button and The flash button are not in the greatest of places but it's not hard to press. The shutter button is a bit of a pain if taking a self potrait in camera mode. Very easy to get set up and start taking my first videos and pics. I do not recommend throwing away the cd-rom that comes with it. The cd-rom has the manual for the 720, a digital software that you might want to have or may not and it has Arcsoft total media extreme DVD burning/Basic Video editing software. Very basic indeed and I'm looking for magix or some other video editing software but at least I got something in the meantime. I'm so glad I bought this laptop with a media reader built in! I don't have to connect the 720 if i don't want to.

My firmware is:
Full: V1.600
HW: X5
TIME: SEP 14 2007 18:48:5
Nand:hy27us08561m
binLtcdam_v5v.bin

So my firmware is the most recent one and only two months old thank goodness! I have made a few videos testing it out in the different resolutions and took some pics with both 5 megapixels and 8 megapixels. I must say I have not heard any garbled noises so far and my voice speaking normal sounds perfectly fine! I was expecting the sound to sound absolutely crappy but indoors with my test videos so far it sounds pretty darn good to me. I tested the television being on a music video channel and talked over it. The sound wasn't distorted. I'm very happy with the sound so far and am relieved it doesn't sound garbled and horrible. The video quality on the HD setting is fantastic!! Please note!! When filming less than 4 feet away or when you are holding the 720 to film yourself, make sure to push the lever on the side of the lens to macro!! Otherwise your video will be soft and blurry in some spots! I found this out and had to re-record and still have to re-record. A pain but hey at least I know this! I was wondering why some videos were super sharp while others were real soft when I realized there was a macro mode. I noticed the difference right away when I filmed some video messages to friends/blogs because I was holding the 720 in my hand and NOT sitting on a couch at a distance of 4 or more feet from the camcorder. Anyway I'm very pleased with the 720! The D1 resolution is also very good and the CIF web resolution is as expected. I uploaded a few test videos (they are set to private at the moment) to youtube and I can see what you mean fishy about them compressing it but it's ok. I will upload some HD videos to Vimeo.com as well. I found that watching videos even on my dual core 2 laptop was slow with Quicktime so I switched to watching the mov files in windows media player and it played TONS more smoothly with no pausing whatsoever.

The pictures I took in camera mode were on the 5 meg and 8 meg setting. Some pics turned out a bit soft as was expected because of it's cmos sensor but some other pics turned out quite sharp which surprised me. This won't replace a real digital camera with a ccd sensor and good quality lens but it still gets the job done!

All in all so far in having this aiptek A-HD 720 HD camcorder for a few hours, I am very pleased with it and hopefully outside videos/pictures will turn out good as well. I'm very glad I didn't go with the flip ultra! I love the 720, IT ROCKS! Thanks fishy for your help!!!