Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:15 PM   #511

willk wrote:
Quote:
If I purchase the software from Aiptek to burn onto dvd using my computer will I lose the 740P resolution when watching the dvd through my Toshiba HD-DVD player connected to my HDTV?
DVD resolution is 720×480 (NTSC) or 720×576 (PAL). So yes, you will lose resolution when burning a DVD.

However, if you have a hd-dvd or Blu-Ray Burner:

http://www.arcsoft.com/products/totalmediaextreme/
"
It is a suite of applications that allows you to play video, edit and author video and music discs and photo slide shows, and back up files, using a combination of HD DVDs, Blu-ray discs (BDs), DVDs, and CDs."

If you are asking if you can burn HD content to a DVD (sort of like mini-DVDs on CDs), I do not know.....
webshark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 4:31 PM   #512

I have the Toshiba A3 HD-DVD player and created HD-DVDs using standard DVD disks and a standard DVD burner. I have used both Ulead VideoStudio 11+ and Pinnacle Studio 11 Ultimate to create these disks. Nero also has the option but you have to purchase their plug-in to author HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray. VS with the latest patches can load and edit the Aiptek MOV files properly. I would recommend using the Dolby 2.0 or 5.1 audio option instead of LPCM as the bitrates with the latter can make the player stutter. VS will upcale your footage to 1080i as there is no option to create a 720p HD-DVD though I believe it is in the spec and the AVSForum has some instructions on how to do so with additional tools (haven't tried it yet).

At this time there are no consumer products that encode HD-DVD in either VC1 which is just WMV or AVCHD. If we had this you could put more video on such a disk. My bet if the studios who control the HD-DVD spec are not allowing companies like Ulead to do this even though they can encode in AVCHD because it would allow users to rip movies in HD and put them on a regular DVD disk. BTW, I think a lot of HD-DVD disks are just single layer encoded with VC1 or AVCHD to keep manufacturing costs down.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 6:33 PM   #513

@JimKallinen

Great clip, I love the music :blah:.
renerugerio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2007, 8:13 PM   #514

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
I have the Toshiba A3 HD-DVD player and created HD-DVDs using standard DVD disks and a standard DVD burner. I have used both Ulead VideoStudio 11+ and Pinnacle Studio 11 Ultimate to create these disks. Nero also has the option but you have to purchase their plug-in to author HD-DVDs and Blu-Ray. VS with the latest patches can load and edit the Aiptek MOV files properly. I would recommend using the Dolby 2.0 or 5.1 audio option instead of LPCM as the bitrates with the latter can make the player stutter. VS will upcale your footage to 1080i as there is no option to create a 720p HD-DVD though I believe it is in the spec and the AVSForum has some instructions on how to do so with additional tools (haven't tried it yet).

I tried downloading the free trial version of VS. Unfortunately, the patches won't work with the trial version.

I'm not too tech savy. I guess what I want to know is if I use this program (with the patches) and burned to a standard DVD which I played on my Toshiba A3 HD-DVD that the video quality will be as good as when I hook the camcorder directly to my HDTV with the component (green, blue & red cables)?

willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 2:20 AM   #515

What version is the trial download? It is possible that version already has been patched or updated. Prior to the patched version VS did not parse the MOV files properly. You can get around this if you change the extension of the files to .MP4. VS 11+ will rerender your files as MPEG-2 1080i at a bit rate that you'll lose nothing or almost nothing in the process when you make an HD-DVD.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 6:11 AM   #516

I was in target' and I tried my best to see on a lcke box on a shelf , for what software is in there Impossable.I also did not like the smooth black one it looked like it would flake after extended hand use and due to the oils of the fingers, leaving fingerprints not good, unles reporting stolen:G

Wonder if red would look the same smoothness.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 3:39 PM   #517

NOT HAPPY WITH. UNLESS you ONLY care about a small and easy to use device with a great picture(for it's size) AND YOU CARE NOTHING ABOUT SOUND QUALITY, this camera will be acceptable to you. I was happy with the picture results on replay on a big screen tv. but the sound was TERRIBLE!!! Whereas I was having a hard time believing the camera would deliver a decent image , I was instead met by a dissapointment in sound that I find inacceptable in ANY camcorder given where we should be by now. I did not think that sound quality posed so much of a challenge as this camcorder apparently proves it 'does'! I stood 7 feet in front of the camera in an otherwise quiet setting(I do not have a low or non distinct voice...to say the least)and the results made it sound likeI had a big can over my head. Not that you could not clearly hear what I was saying...but the lack of sound quality is yet such that it is hard to ignore. I have had the camera for a day and I am taking it back ONLY for the stupidly ridiculous innatention to sound quality from aiptek on this one! My old and beat up sony is bigger, yes, and the picture is not HD...BUT theBALANCE between picture and sound is better than this aiptek. In fact...the better picture provided by HD actually serves as well to make the crappy sound even MORE intolerable. You won't notice a Porshe driving down the street quite as much as you WILL notice a Porshe with SKATEBOARD WHEELS! THAT is the kind of sound to picture mismatch going on in this otherwise nice little camcorder. I bought it so I could bring a better picture to my Youtube instructional videos etc. Pfffff! NEVER imagining aiptek traded all sound quality away at the same time! I guess I should do a video on how fast I am going to return this thing! I am NOT an A/V newbie. There are people on Ytube who go into great detail on this camcorder. WHY...is beyond me!? The sound is it's 'splinter' and I need no explanation on splinters....I just pull it out when I get one!! This camcorder, like so many things, is built to entice more than to deliver. SOUND is 'kinda' important to most people! I would give this camcorder a 3 or 4 stars but because of the sound, I thought to give it a 2...but then because aiptek dares to even release a camera with such a POOR attention to sound....I can only give it a 1 star. Disappointed. I am not so in love with digital or 'small' that I stopped caring about a balance in quality. This camera is great, if you are deaf(with respect). Back to Target I go....
redraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 4:32 PM   #518

redraven wrote:
Quote:
NOT HAPPY WITH. UNLESS you ONLY care about a small and easy to use device Back to Target I go....
Welcome redraven.

Youir comment means alot, never going against what you're saying.

1 Aiptek is not, a major company, they are at the All time bottom of the list company, and introducing a PC camcorder not a Home Movie camcorder. Once we understand that. We tend to enjoy the unit.

I love it for the Video, I do not accept the sound either, nor the picture, there are its ups anddowns.

2 New firmware wil not correct but cause more havoc ever. it gives you , some great ups but you suffer the big Downs.

Sony to Aiptek cannot compare a home camcorder to a PC one.

Aiptek yes get on the ball they already got rid of the MP3 feature and stabilization for Hi def. and happy. sound well nowords

thank you. for the excellent opinion
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 7:52 PM   #519

Also...thanks for all your knowledge annd reviews fishycomics. I picked up an mpvr when returning the hd! I like the overall idea of these cams but the hd was not worth the cost($150.00)for the sound issue alone. I bought the mpvr+cb for $80.00 and it seems already to have EITHER an on/off power switch problem(unit goes on and off all by itself...even when screen is shut!...and also open). Odd...it worked enough for me to do a test with the internal memory. It quit in the middle of playback. It has been on the charger for 3 hours now and yet I cannot get it even to switch on via the blue led lit switch OR by opening the screen. Only sign that anything 'is happening' at all...is the red led light under lens. Seems it oughta work on the charger/power cord whetheer the battery is at full charge or even if no battery at all. But it does not. New in box...I mean plastic...and the last one Target had so I cannot take it back and try another if these problems persist.

It may be, that the CIA is covertly working to keep me from owning a working hybrid camcorder! I'm testing my house for bugs right now. Enjoyed you vids on YT.
Old Dec 9, 2007, 8:02 PM   #520

These camcorders will probably be great for UFO watchers! Since UFO's and aliens are generally pretty quiet so the terrible sound(especially of the HD)won't matter. Darn...guess I should have thought about THAT before marching back into Target for a refund. Although I have not seen a UFO since I was ten. If this mpvr(trying THAT now)decides to work(???)for me after a full nights charge...maybe I will get some UFO footage?? I am overdo to see one, I would say!

'Aliens are REAL!...I have the divorce papers to prove it!'