Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:03 PM   #521

Sory t ohear this . something is telling you it is not ment to be? I would not sacrafrice a lower budget and less light hybrid for sound. , I would return it and try again at a later time yhey give rainchecks
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:26 PM   #522

I have read (or skimmed through)all 27 pages of this thread on the Aiptec A-HD.

I have decided to purchase one at CC tomorrow despite the very well documented sound problems.

I like being able to shoot vids in 16:9 HD and then display them (after conversion to a format my DVD player will accept) on my 46" Samsung monitor.

The only vids I can take now are with my NIKON S-3 digital camera. That only shoots at a lousy 15fps and ANY panning other than very slow blurs the pix so that it almost unwatchable.

I am certain that I will be happy with the vid capabilities of the Aiptec, but am really concerned about the sound quality. It may be that the sound on my NIKON ,when using it in Movie Mode, will be better than with the Aiptec even though the Aiptec is first a video camera and second a still camera, while my Nikon is just the reverse!

Anyway, my question (which may already have been answered but I just didn't catch it) is this:

If my unit comes with any Firmware other than 2.002 (which is likely as my Aiptec was probably in the CC inventory for a while) should I flash to the 2.002?

I think some other Aiptec A-HD owners would like to see a list of PROS and CONS for say the 1.6vs.the2.002.

Fishy, I think you would be the best person here to do that due to your extensive experience with this camera and because I know you have used it with both the noted Firmwares.

As you note, once you flash 2.002 that will be it and, at this time, there is NO going back to 1.6 OR being able to flash any newer Firmware released by Aiptek!!

So, whether to load 2.002 or stay with 1.6 IS a big issue and hopefully one you can help us with by comparing the features and results for both to help us make this call!

Thank You!

Chuck Proche

ciproche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2007, 9:42 PM   #523

ciproche wrote:
Quote:
Anyway, my question (which may already have been answered but I just didn't catch it) is this:

If my unit comes with any Firmware other than 2.002 (which is likely as my Aiptec was probably in the CC inventory for a while) should I flash to the 2.002?

I think some other Aiptec A-HD owners would like to see a list of PROS and CONS for say the 1.6vs.the2.002.

Fishy, I think you would be the best person here to do that due to your extensive experience with this camera and because I know you have used it with both the noted Firmwares.

As you note, once you flash 2.002 that will be it and, at this time, there is NO going back to 1.6 OR being able to flash any newer Firmware released by Aiptek!!

So, whether to load 2.002 or stay with 1.6 IS a big issue and hopefully one you can help us with by comparing the features and results for both to help us make this call!

Thank You!

Chuck Proche

Welcome Poche

Firmware 1.2 oldest . had orginal features 2x dig low sound 9 luanguages. Missing mac usb port

1.2 to 1.5 they fooled around adding a higher gain, never knowing other issues until one comes foward and more.

1.6 they claime to be the best firmware on the Market no headaches. maybe still the M.I.A mac info. and 5 additional languages. and corrected mic

2.002 states 2x dig zoom-to- 4x digital zoom mac port info and 5 additional languages with sound lowering of gain, with white balance and possable tweaking of the pic

My headache after the updated load and never was told what would happen.

I now have Clicking on all my video due to 2.002. I now have 4x dig zoom yippie

I can care less about added languages CARING of my Members) and mac info

Would I upgrade maybe a newer firmware model will accept the upgrade while older models will refuse the fix?

hope that helped out my opinion, is based on the info provided by members andemails recieved worldwide

Old Dec 9, 2007, 10:19 PM   #524

Fishy:

Thanx for the quick response!

To summarize your comments it seems that the Pluses of flashing the 2.002 Firmware out weigh the Negatives:

With the latest Firmware you get twice the digital zoom going from 2X to 4X ( better have a tripod for that muchzoom that'sfor sure!)

Maybe a sharper pix with better color rendition as well as improved White Balance.

One thing that is KEY to my Firmware decision is the notorious "SOUND" issue with this camera.

You mention that the 2.002 Firmware includes "lowering the sound gain", What does that mean to the non-professional user, like me. Does it make the recorded sound louder or even lower than the already TOO soft 1.6 and prior Firmware updates? Is the background noise more or less? Is the distortion more or less (or no difference which would apply to all of these questions).

Has anyone done any definitive tests to compare the older vs newest Firmware(besides the one showing the music show on TV and the boy talking at the fence from the 2nd floor, which didn't really answer the question for me).

I mean where you have aconstant sound level (like the TV news talking heads) and you record with the 1.6 then flash the 2.002 and record the same show. Then you could play them both back to compare with some precision just what improvement or detriment to the volumn and quality of the sound resulted from doing this Firmware upgrade?

Finally does anyone else with the 2.002 Firmware notice the "clicking" sound that Fishy says started to be a problem only after he upgraded? If so, how bad is it?

I hope I am notbelaboring this issue, but with not being able to go back to 1.6 you only have one shot at this and it better be the right one!

Chuck
ciproche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 7:54 AM   #525

ciproche wrote:
Quote:
Fishy:
You mention that the 2.002 Firmware includes "lowering the sound gain", What does that mean to the non-professional user, like me. Does it make the recorded sound louder or even lower than the already TOO soft 1.6 and prior Firmware updates? Is the background noise more or less? Is the distortion more or less (or no difference which would apply to all of these questions).

Chuck
Ciproche

I cannot go back to 1.2 to give that video I did make a video and with two Singers before and after I went outside as well. and poor. possably it could have poor judgement at the time.

http://www.vimeo.com/426150

Above test shows Video fixs of just that If you need to see language and mac info , I am not a mac user, Pics are just pics to me they are fine if asked me.

two photosare of the moon and I am happy with that. in the above posts

Aiptek A-HD has a firmware update, does it fix the issue, or will they get 2.003, 2.004 out I will ask for that and see what they have to say?

.I believe once flashed we are not allowed to go back due to the file writen, We May go foward, I may not be able to reflash no more to the same 2.002

Now for my Noise issue it is a motion of the vocal because when I stop, talking the noise does not appear.

I shall send this in for a response. Only my 1.2 has the issue so far I hear no oneelse comingfoward, over a million of these are sold and onl 1% get here online noteven 1%

Old Dec 10, 2007, 11:13 AM   #526

External Mic to the Av Input

I thougt I grab a few cables, the standard a/v rca's. the mic from my pc or even a head set one. and adapters. I started my review, and then stopped. I found out that just a mic is not enough to get external sound to the device. Defeating Hd quality, to SD quality it is not acceptable at all. Who wants to walk around with a amp or stereo wire dragging all over, hmm Bluetooth :idea:

Yes a waste of time on a foul weather day how sad.

I believe if you want to bypas thevideo of the Av input a Amp is needed or setting up the video player you can not just plug a mic into the supplied cables and video.

Thought a review was needed, not this time around. but video raw footage links are posted and submitted enjoy

1 Av Input with sound disconnected Total Silience

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=61BTEU6S

2 Av with sound perfect

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WRX64E3M

3 Camcorder with finger tightly over mic white noise

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CJK11HI0

4 camcorder with background white noise

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VX213FC2

5 Camcorder with person talking white noise

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IWVE4MGD

Old Dec 10, 2007, 12:02 PM   #527

Hdguy, Thanks for your help. I ended up buying Pinnacle Studio Ultimate at Frys last night ($39 after rebates) and I'm going to try it out today. I'm so glad there is a way to make dvd's without losing the 720p resolution.

Now my big decision is do I keep the A-HD (with bad sound quality) or return it and buy the Kodak v1253 which also does 720p video? The v1253 has a stereo microphone but it would mean getting rid of my beloved Panasonic TZ-3. I like the form of the A-HD too. It's easier to shoot video.
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:02 PM   #528

Always that choice i have thecasio they claimethesame but I tell you 858x480 hmm all the camera features but thevideo lol it is a decision to make?qaulity over pc economy
Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:30 PM   #529

Fishy,

The Kodak v1253 is 1280x720

Have you been able to compare the A-HD with the Sanyo Xacti HD700? I noticed it's back at $299 on Amazon.

hdguy,

How long does it take to render video to dvd?
willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 1:45 PM   #530

willk wrote:
Quote:
Fishy,
The Kodak v1253 is 1280x720
Have you been able to compare the A-HD with the Sanyo Xacti HD700? I noticed it's back at $299 on Amazon.
Wow Not all colors though Just one is at the 300.00 mark .

I watched a tv show on the Kodakand I would have purchased over the casio, not a bad Camera ifyou ask me a powerful item.

The A-Hd over the sanyo hmm? great question wish I could say hoping Santa stops by?

If I had the chance i grab a sanyo over the A-Hd, but I concider the ups and the downs.

Optical or digital Av input file size bitrate, etc. I think what would win me over would be Sound video and Picture with extended battery life? i would trust something that would not crash all the time but cannot comment if not owned of the sanyo

where's the xmax Icon:idea: