Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Dec 10, 2007, 2:09 PM   #531

Has anyone found any footage from the Kodak 1253? I've found footage from the 1275 which has good sound and a better lens than the Aiptek but it's not AVC encoding (hence files are larger) and gets more pixelated in places.

Pinnacle Studio does not have Quicktime support so you'll have to rename your A-HD file extensions to .MP4. I can't remember if it transcoded those properly. The patched version of Video Studio Plus is 11.5.0157.2 I thin the .5 and .2 are the updates as I believe they refer to it as version 2.5. One can always download the trial which is the Plus version and wait to see if there is a deal somewhere over the next month. That's what I did as a deal showed up at Fry's before the month was over. I would up getting Sony, VS+, and PS Ultimate+ for the MSRP of one. My complaint about Pinnacle is Avid doesn't seem to know how to make a consumer product.

What we need is for a program that will take the A-HD 720p files and treat them as HD-DVD compatible and put an EVO wrapper around them or do a Smart encoding to AVCHD where it only patches the transitions and cuts you make but uses doesn't re-encode the rest of the file though we might want it to fix any blown out audio. Currently nothing but the pro packages usually several thousand dollars do AVC or VC1 encoding. I would be one of the consumer NLE companies that support HD-DVD might add that support unless there are licensing constraints on doing so.

I was able to put a 40 minute 720p MPEG-2 without recoding on an HD-DVD (on a regular DVD) through the instructions you can find here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=705146
If the file is HD-DVD "compliant" then it doesn't take much time at all to make an HD-DVD and following tips above will help. VideoStudio's upscaling isn't very well optimized so if it has to rescale it takes a very long time so I would recommend recoding your A-HD footage to a 720p MPEG-2 file and follow the instructions above to use that file to quickly create an HD-DVD. I think a few folks tried Pinnacle Studio to do this but don't remember if they had any success.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 7:01 PM   #532

hdguy,

Try this for Kodak v1253 sample videos:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=25811433

willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2007, 8:01 PM   #533

Thanks willk, I had looked at that forum a while back but nothing had been posted yet. Using Apple's Dumpster tool the clips show they are standard MPEG-4 video (mp4v) encoding and not AVC. Those clips look a little better on pans than the 1275 which has more macroblocking on pans.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2007, 10:04 PM   #534

I have now had my A-HD for 24 hours, enough time for some initial impressions.

I have Firmware v 1.600.

I Emailed AIPTEK Tech Support for them to email me v 2.002. But, I am not sure if I am going to flash it or not.

Re the sound, the thing I was most concerned about. I ran a serious of simple tests setting the camera on a mini tripod and doing short vids from different distances and different loudness of my voice.

Yes, the sound when played back through the speaker on the unit is TERRIBLE...distorted and not loud enough.

However, when I plugged in my SONY Ear Buds tothe AV Out jackthe sound was quite acceptable.

I then moved some of the vids to my HP Desktop and played them back through my Logitech PC Speakers.....Now, I had real control over the volumn and the use of a Graphics Equalizer. I was then able to get the sound to be very good with every word understandable with NO distortion at all!

What was there was a slight hissing sound that was hardly noticeable.

So, the outcome of this excersise, at least in my particular situation, was that the speaker on the A-HD is the problem not the mike, as using earbuds/earphones plugged into the cameraturns off the speaker and corrects the distortion. Furthermore, playing back vids on a PC with a good set of speakers makes the sound "problem" just go away!

I don't have long enough RCA Plug RW and RBG Component cables (the 5' ones that come with the camera are just too short!)to be able to hook up my HD TV yet. I will get connectors and extentions tomorrow and then see what happens when I play the vids directly from the camera to my TV.

I will comment on the Still Pix and Video functions of the unit in later posts.

Chuck

ciproche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 2:46 PM   #535

Word of warning: If your component cable is shorting out DO NOT USE IT! I noticed sometimes when playing back videos on hdtv the screen would be blank unless I moved the cable around. Well last night I picked up the unit to switch videos and the unit went totally dead. I returned it to CC today for a refund. I'm not sure now whether to get another one or get one of Kodak's new cameras that do 720p. The z812 has 12x optically stabilized zoom and a viewfinder but is bulkier than I'd like. The z1275 has 5x optical but no o.s. It is only $189 at Sams Club. The v1253 is small and has 3.1 lcd and stereo sound.

On the the other hand I miss my Aiptek already and I've also considered the Sanyo HD700 but the reviews have been mixed.
:?

willk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2007, 3:46 PM   #536

willk wrote:
Quote:
Kodak's new cameras that do 720p. The z812 has 12x optically stabilized zoom and a viewfinder but is bulkier than I'd like. The z1275 has 5x optical but no o.s. It is only $189 at Sams Club. The v1253 is small and has 3.1 lcd and stereo sound.

On the the other hand I miss my Aiptek already and I've also considered the Sanyo HD700 but the reviews have been mixed.
:?

the kodak v1253 looks like it is limited to 30 minutes HD on a sd card and has two hd 720p settings and sharpness hmm looks good, 3 inch screen. 190 not bad 812 issimular to the 612, 712 I owned that model and returned, no reason , chasnge of mind loved it.

now getting another A-Hd at 130.00 a tough decision findsome test vids see if the person can upload it and decide? Sams club has a great return policy so try it out before you decide on a new A-HD

that is my advice if returns ar no headaches that is what I do.

bestbuy has the a-hd fr 119 now and a pkg tripod case and 1 gig 150? lol

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 2:56 AM   #537

Circuit City will have the A-HD for 99$ on December 16 - 22. Its in the early leaked sales paper.

Considering purchasing one, I also have an 15 off 100 coupon which will bring it down to 85$ before tax.
jWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 3:26 AM   #538

for that amount I may just pick a back up one and dissasemble it .

is it a blue model or black I only gotten BB ads notCC dam those local delievery people.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 9:23 AM   #539

jWin wrote:
Quote:
Circuit City will have the A-HD for 99$ on December 16 - 22. Its in the early leaked sales paper.

Considering purchasing one, I also have an 15 off 100 coupon which will bring it down to 85$ before tax.
That's good news. I bought mine on Nov 23 when it was $119, so CC should do a price match on the one I bought.
webshark3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13, 2007, 11:36 AM   #540

Thanx for the word on the CC sale!

I bought mine on 11/26/07 for $129.99..so I am looking forward to getting $30 back! (That will pay for the extra battery and 2GB SD card I also picked up on E-bay)

Chuck
ciproche is offline   Reply With Quote