Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 11, 2007, 4:47 PM   #51

You know I didn't notice that, the first time I looked, but it says the same thing for my two local stores ie out of stock although interestingly now for the GO-HD it now says 'in stock' for the furthest one and 'not carried' for the local one.

Like you I think I may just pop into the one I pass on my journey to and from work just to see if they do have anything. At that price it may be worth me trying it again although I hope they have fixed the sound this time. $149 would make it a bargain compared to the PDVR which is still selling for $129 there.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 3:18 PM   #52

I'm wondering how strong these little buggers are? I was thinking if they are strong enough or if I can make them strong enough I'd use them as an on board camera or two for one of the monster truck teams I work for. I figure I can mount one of these somewhere inside the cab to a roll bar or something. Would be cool if I could couple one with an HV20 because I'd like to add more video content to my website ( http:/www.allmonster.com/ ) and having all HD sources for my videos would be great to work with.
AllMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 13, 2007, 3:54 PM   #53

AllMonster wrote:
Quote:
I'm wondering how strong these little buggers are? I was thinking if they are strong enough or if I can make them strong enough I'd use them as an on board camera or two for one of the monster truck teams I work for. I figure I can mount one of these somewhere inside the cab to a roll bar or something. Would be cool if I could couple one with an HV20 because I'd like to add more video content to my website ( http:/www.allmonster.com/ ) and having all HD sources for my videos would be great to work with.
welcome aboard

the hybrid record button is going to be awkward but hey the remote may wor beter?

problem ifin a car?

1 Af, and sound? sound picks up the alt or electronics, af willhave vibration and may see a jumpy or blurry video

you may want to do a triale run on this and decide ifit is a keeper
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2007, 4:30 AM   #54

Makes me feel good, seeing somebody else making as many typos as me .

Bey!
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 12:52 PM   #55

HDGUY: Congrad's

Confirm missing LED lights, and 2x zoom?

I am sure you'll be very Pleased with the device but find some complaints.

machro switch as i am learning needs a lock maybe push in to the infinity, so when in the Pockets it will not slip down to machro.
Old Sep 15, 2007, 5:37 PM   #56

The LED light works only as a flash not with the video. I never found the LEDs on the GO that useful for video. The 2x zoom works okay.

The picture quality seems better maybe because of the 8 megapixel chip and I noticed in panning the waviness is gone. I did notcie more macro blocking on a fast pan on a heavily detailed scene but not on a slower pan.

I like the form factor better than the GO HD. I use the GO HD case which keeps the Macro switch from turning on. The A-HD is a little longer than the GO so it barely fits in the case.

I recorded some loud audio and it didn't break-up on the file though the audio does distort on the camera speaker when it is medium to high. But that doesn't matter as long as the file audio is clear.

I just wish these files were compatible with more NLEs. For example I'd love to recode in WMV since it might make a smaller file for downloads (so would an MP4 at the same bitrate) but VS 11+ encodes at about half the frame rate. It also drops out the audio every other second.

Maybe they'll eventually have a bundled movie editor and perhaps one that can create a movie you can play back on the camera. That may not be too hard if the camera's decoder isn't too fussy.

They do bundle a copy of Photo Impressions for stills and the HD-DV codec. Both are Vista compatible.

I can't get it to display the firmware info so they must've disabled that or changed the way it is displayed.

Given that there is a clip-in lens cover I think they could do a wide angle adapter as an accessory item. I shoot a lot with a wide angle adapter on my Sony HC1.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2007, 6:13 PM   #57

hdguy wrote:
Quote:
The LED light works only as a flash not with the video. I never found the LEDs on the GO that useful for video. The 2x zoom works okay.

Given that there is a clip-in lens cover I think they could do a wide angle adapter as an accessory item. I shoot a lot with a wide angle adapter on my Sony HC1.

you lost me? I asked do you see led lights on the A-HD? the Go ahs them in the flash they look like and are two led lights very visable. now on the A-HD there is no leds the only two lights I see are very , super hard to see located in the ring of the lens and are used as a self timer? understand ?

so I guess you say it has leds and i have not yet to see them?

wide angle yes I agre 110%

but al the otehr stuff you're talking about yep works for me

3 machro on the Go is built in on the A-Hd it is a switch
Old Sep 15, 2007, 8:55 PM   #58

video of .mov from the a-ahd

Old Sep 15, 2007, 8:56 PM   #59

The LED is between the lens and the record button. Only works in photo mode for flash.

I neglected to mention that the zoom which they claim to be 4x on the box but looks more like 2x is digital so not very useful.

When messing around with some clips on my Vista laptop there was a QT update from Apple and it appears now that the QT player plays the clips in sync. Also Vegas Movie Studio was able to create a "soundless" WMV after the update. There must be something slighly off about the way the sound is configured in the file header since Vegas is suppose to work with Sony's AVCHD cameras.

Old Sep 15, 2007, 9:09 PM   #60

And I forgot to mention I did get the firmware info up on the screen and it is version 1.302 but that is a different kind of firmware from the GO HD. It is the same procedure as before where you hold down the MODE key and press the back key on the viewfinder. I had just forgotten the sequence. But this time pressing the off button or closing the viewfinder will shut the camera off (no pulling the batter required). Also I noticed that unmounting (safely remove) the camera on the computer turns the camera off too which didn't happen with the GO.