Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 9, 2008, 6:11 AM   #691

snapa shot for us Please/

sorry to hear that but do not toss out maybe you can fix it or swap out
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 7:13 PM   #692

Hello all,

I'm currently thinking about buying this camcorder to use for all around recording the next few years until the next generation of HD Bluray and HDD cameras come out at decent prices.

I know some people say that you shouldn't use this cam for recording "memories" like gatherings or family parties but I've also heard some people who swear that this is the one and only camera they would own if it wasnt for the zoom and audio issues.

Not sure if I want to spend $500-700 on a camera that won't even be in stores within the next few years because of upcoming formats.

Does buying this camera now and waiting to spend decent change on a camera makes sense to anyone else? Or should I go ahead and buy something like a Panasonic HDC-SX5 and stay away from the A-HD?

Also ...

It is my understanding that you can't VIEW video stored on a SDHC card from the camera itself? Is there ANY way to fix this? I'd like to use a 8gb SDHC card but need the ability to replay the footage on the camera itself.

Does that mean that you can't directly play the A-HD on a HDTV if it is using a SDHC card? :shock:

And lastly, this camera actually crashes when you connect it to the HDTV? Not sure when it will crash when connecting to the tv.

Any comments/ideas are appreciated .. thanks
cisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 4:43 PM   #693

Welcome aboard. do not believe what you hear.

If i shown, I demo'ed the good stuff and bad, and just that. a 4 gig sdhc will work fine I am away and haveshown co-workers just what you asked a sdhc playing in the cam.

is this for you that isonly your decision, not me telling you to get this or thgat yours only I wouldsay personally want aprofessional model and worth the weight in gold a canon H20 you cannot afford gas for the car the Aiptek A-Hd

cisc0 wrote:
Quote:
Hello all,

I'm currently thinking about buying this camcorder to use for all around recording the next few years until the next generation of HD Bluray and HDD cameras come out at decent prices.

I know some people say that you shouldn't use this cam for recording "memories" like gatherings or family parties but I've also heard some people who swear that this is the one and only camera they would own if it wasnt for the zoom and audio issues.

Not sure if I want to spend $500-700 on a camera that won't even be in stores within the next few years because of upcoming formats.

Does buying this camera now and waiting to spend decent change on a camera makes sense to anyone else? Or should I go ahead and buy something like a Panasonic HDC-SX5 and stay away from the A-HD?

Also ...

It is my understanding that you can't VIEW video stored on a SDHC card from the camera itself? Is there ANY way to fix this? I'd like to use a 8gb SDHC card but need the ability to replay the footage on the camera itself.

Does that mean that you can't directly play the A-HD on a HDTV if it is using a SDHC card? :shock:

And lastly, this camera actually crashes when you connect it to the HDTV? Not sure when it will crash when connecting to the tv.

Old Mar 12, 2008, 8:57 PM   #694

I just think spending $500-$1000 right now for a HD camera might not be the best idea atm. HD Technology is just now peaking in the US and BluRay has won the format war. In 3-5 years I think you'll be able to buy a near professional quality HD camera that records on BluRay disc (uptp 50gb on one disc) and enhanced HDD hybrid cams for under/around $500.

So just to make things clear .....

If I put a 8gb SDHC card in an Aiptek A-HD .... It will allow me to play back the video from the tft screen on the Aiptek?

If Yes, do I need the latest firmware to do so?

- Thanks
cisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2008, 10:36 PM   #695

Just so you don't hold your breath, there will be no Blue-ray cams. Blue ray is a full sized delivery format for home players. We are light years past having full sized cams, even mini disk cams. Its all micro memory cards or hard drives from hear on out. It doesn't matter what format the cam captures, you will always need a PC to down load the footage onto, then you will make your Blue-ray, youtube, itunes ect, ect......
As far as wanting to hold off from buying a cam, well it depends on what you need now. There are plenty on HD cams in every capture format and size, and for a great price already. Tomorrow always has a rainbow. But you have to wait, meaning you have no cam now! ;>)
The A-HD is an absolute bargain no matter how you slice it.
A few points though. Don't speak into the mic(close), or have the cam too close to your loud audio. Use a tri-pod at all time if possible, otherwise keep it very steady and make your camera pan/moves slow and steady (goes for all cams but esp the A-HD) and finally don't use the zoom. If you need to be closer, move closer.
Enjoy it and learn on it. You seem like a noob, so why not cut your teeth on something cheap?
Never heard of or had any problem using/watching/transfering any of my captured SDHC 4gig clips. Has anyone?

funkydmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 8:38 AM   #696

Hitachi does a Bluray camcorder don't they, Sony and at least one other company have professional ones from memory. Bluray was meant for data storage and acquisition early on.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:36 AM   #697

The pro Sony cams XDcam use a disk similar called professional disk. I didn't know that Hatachi made any cams that used disks. They seem to have enabled blue-ray format recording on their 8cm disk cams. Unique, but not the way the industry is going. They are bulky and use a lot of power.
funkydmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 3:12 PM   #698

this is the Aipteks shot. I am sure I have much better ones when I have a chance others will be posted

Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:20 PM   #699

I also bought Aiptek AHD200, becouse I want to everyday camera which is easy to carry with you and doesn't mind little abuse, if it brokes it's not so big deal. But if you broke your expensive HD camcorder your are annoyed rest of the year. :-)

cisc0 wrote:
Quote:
Hello all,

Also ...

Alan Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2008, 9:49 PM   #700

funkydmunky wrote:
Quote:
The pro Sony cams XDcam use a disk similar called professional disk. I didn't know that Hitachi made any cams that used disks. They seem to have enabled blue-ray format recording on their 8cm disk cams. Unique, but not the way the industry is going. They are bulky and use a lot of power.
The disk they use is BR.

I agree that the BR disks 8cm do make them bulky, and that flash/hd can be better in future (have external BD disk unit to burn instead). I think I remember that the most popular camcorders are the dvd disk ones (which I understand, they do have on board editors and can rearrange your video on disk, probably simply tell which sectors form an sequence rather than actually move them, and then you dimply pop them into a player). The BD ones offer much more capacity, and more layers are coming which will offer more again.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote