Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 14, 2008, 3:20 AM   #701

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:
The disk they use is BR.
I don't know what you mean by that reply?

Regarless of Blue-ray having extended capacity, we aren't going to see any great amount of these cams developed. On disc recording was a short stop gap between digital tape and hard drive/memory disc capture. Blue-ray's mass appeal will be as a delivery format only. It simply makes no sense these days to have a big bulky consumer cam as know one will buy them. We are ai a A-HD forum because it is a cutting edge ultra light cam. All cams that compete with it will be using the same format. Not Blue-ray disc.

funkydmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 3:51 AM   #702

BR=Bluray, the professional disk they use is bluray.

Consumers are already preferring the disk camera for convenience, and we have seen a great leap in the number of models. I however agree that the future is preferably solid-state and HDD cameras. We however are not the majority of consumers.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 11:06 AM   #703

I deleted some .mov files from my A-HD, and now I need them back. Before doing anything with the SD card, I removed it and tried some "undelete" utilities, including recova. It pulls the deleted files, but they will not play in anything (including vlc player)...I get qt error 2048. The file sizes seem reasonable, but the .movs are apparently messed up.

Any other suggestions before I give up on these? Thanks!
lintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 1:35 PM   #704

TRUST ME ...... The majority of consumers would prefer to record directly on a disk that they can just pop into their PS3 or BR player.

Discs are easy archivable (just put them in a case and label it) and less prone to malfunctions.

You will be able to store aprox. 10-15 HOURS worth of HD video on a single layer mini-BR disc.

Discs don't wear out like hard drive or tape mediums. It's a VERY reliable and practical medium for high-end consumer video IMHO.
cisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 3:57 PM   #705

As I taken time off on this post I figure I dedicate some pics now. they are of 5 meg regular and 4x digital zoom resized by Lunapic.com

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 4:03 PM   #706

I am going to say these are my two favorite shots so far. if the sun in hte background whited out I am deffently happy with it iam sure I can correctly touch it to my liking. and as well the Close up of 4x digital zoom. you cannot tell me the pic is aweful

It may be my Best shot ever and I am blown away when I see it 99.99 and got a priceless pic I believe that pic paid for my Aiptek right there. thank you

like to hear your comments

Old Mar 14, 2008, 5:35 PM   #707

Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:

Consumers are already preferring the disk camera for convenience, and we have seen a great leap in the number of models. I however agree that the future is preferably solid-state and HDD cameras. We however are not the majority of consumers.
As I stated already the disk XDcam uses is called "professional disk" it is not compatible with blue-ray. And no consumers are not preferring disc based cams. HDD based cams dominate the consumer line ups of all the major cam providers JVC, Canon, Pana ect..
Disc based cams offer a niche market, and there is no way a great leap in the number of models. In fact there is only one cam (comes in two models, one with additional HDD) that captures blue-ray onto miniDVD.

"is the XDCAM system's Professional Disc media the same as the consumer Blu-ray Discâ„¢ media?
[*] No. While there are some similarities, the Professional Disc media uses a unique phase-change recording material to support higher read/write speeds. In addition, the Professional Disc cartridge shutter supports access by two simultaneous pickups, while the earliest Japan-market Blu-ray Disc media had a shutter that accommodated only one pickup. Current Blu-ray Disc media uses a bare disc without cartridge. There is no cross-compatibility between XDCAM products and Blu-ray Disc products. "

[/*]
funkydmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 6:58 PM   #708

Just an update on my Aiptek HD Camera.

I sent it back to Aiptek to do the Firmware upgrade.

They told me it would take 3-4 weekks.

Someone here posted something like 7-8 weeks, and someone ELSE posted, that it had been 3 months and they hadn'et gotten theirs back yet.

Well I just received my Camera back and it was just at 4 weeks.

All is good amd I'm happy.

Much better to be without my camera for a month, then to "Fry" it (trying it myself) and have to shell out ANOTHER $129.00 for a new camera.

Just an FYI.

I'm sure there will be some "Nay-Sayers" here but I'm happy and thats all that counts.

BM
Blackmagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2008, 8:32 PM   #709

Blackmagic,

you do the best hing ever . following through.

you now do not have to worry bout every single stitch.

congrads again and hope you'll get great shots out of it :|
Old Mar 14, 2008, 9:18 PM   #710

funkydmunky wrote:
Quote:
Wayne12 wrote:
Quote:

As I stated already the disk XDcam uses is called "professional disk" it is not compatible with blue-ray. And no consumers are not preferring disc based cams. HDD based cams dominate the consumer line ups of all the major cam providers JVC, Canon, Pana ect..
Disc based cams offer a niche market, and there is no way a great leap in the number of models. In fact there is only one cam (comes in two models, one with additional HDD) that captures blue-ray onto miniDVD.

"is the XDCAM system's Professional Disc media the same as the consumer Blu-ray Discâ„¢ media?
[*] No. While there are some similarities, the Professional Disc media uses a unique phase-change recording material to support higher read/write speeds. In addition, the Professional Disc cartridge shutter supports access by two simultaneous pickups, while the earliest Japan-market Blu-ray Disc media had a shutter that accommodated only one pickup. Current Blu-ray Disc media uses a bare disc without cartridge. There is no cross-compatibility between XDCAM products and Blu-ray Disc products. "

[/*]
You DO understand that it was less than 2 weeks ago since Toshiba announced that the format war was over and that BluRay will become the standard HD Disc format right?

That's relevant because MOST companies (and consumers) were waiting to see which format would win out before they made product decisions. Now that the dust has settled .. you will see more companies pushing BluRay products. (thus reducing its cost over time)

I just don't think it's possible for the physical medium based camcorders to go away. There are MANY people who want to be able to "pop in" a disc/tape and "pop it out" for straight viewing and safe storage.

They don't want to have to worry about losing all their precious moments if their HDD camera breaks ... and there are PLENTY of people who certainly don't want to have to archive that video on their PC. (many people whom don't even have the computing power or space to view/store them). And what happen is the PC flatlines too?

Certainly once HDD cameras have high fault tolerance and higher capacity ... they will become more and more popular. And that was my overall point .....

Why spend that kinda of cash now, when in 3-5 years I'll beable to purchase a more robust product. BluRay and HDTV are in their teenage stage in the US atm ... I see it being a more mature product in 3-5 years.

I can compare it to someone spending $500 on a cassette player audio system ... knowing that a CD system will cost the same in 3-5 years. Why not just buy the $100 cassette player until CDs become cost effective?

Eitherway, IMHO I think you'll see cams that record on BluRay, cams that run on cheaper SDHCs, and cams that run on higher capacity HDs at lower costs.

Hopefully my decision was wise ... as I bought this camera on Wed. from Amazon.com and received it today Friday. (I purchased an 8gb card but it was shipped seperate)..

It's charging now ... and I must say, it definately doesn't seem as "cheap" and "toyish" as some seem to believe. It weighs about as much as a PDA, and considering it has a much smaller battery and is about the same size .... I have no issue with the "feel" of the cam. Yeah, it's made out of plastic ... so are most cars these days. lol

One problem ... the tft screen has one or two (kinda a cluster so im not sure how many) DEAD PIXELS. :roll: I've been having dead pixel issues lately. Luckily, they are in the right corner... in the black part of the screen, RIIIIIIIGHT above where you start seeing actual video.

Anyone else have dead pixels on their tft screen? Is this a defect I should be worried about?
cisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote