Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 15, 2008, 3:34 AM   #711

> And no consumers are not preferring disk based cams. HDD based cams dominate the consumer line ups of all the major cam providers JVC, Canon, Pana ect

Hold it, what where we discussing? OK, solid media players taking over from disk (with disk transfer device) true. More popular than tape (and flash/HDD) used to be, maybe still is but numbers eroded by HHD and AVCHD cameras. Have not even been keeping up for the last year sadly.

"is the XDCAM system's Professional Disk media the same as the consumer Blu-ray Diskā„¢ media?
[*] No. While there are some similarities, the Professional Disc media uses a unique phase-change recording material to support higher read/write speeds. In addition, the Professional Disc cartridge shutter supports access by two simultaneous pickups, while the earliest Japan-market Blu-ray Disc media had a shutter that accommodated only one pickup. Current Blu-ray Disc media uses a bare disc without cartridge. There is no cross-compatibility between XDCAM products and Blu-ray Disc products. "

[/*]

Trust me to leave the HD XDCAM stuff after the initial marketing hype, sorry I missed that. Was supposed to be BR disk in a cartridge. Still, the above statement doesn't mean it is not based on BR technology (same Blue laser reading tech with specific recording ability added, same layer technology) in a BR format, just that it was done differently for recording that can't be read by a conventional BR Drive, even if you take it out of the cartridge (but then again the same thing can be said for new readable CD and DVD, but they are still regarded as CD's and DVD's) especially if both record heads lay data simultaneously. Don't remember anybody suggesting a readable CD in a cartridge in the 80's, or various recordable CD/DVD formats that would not play (incompatible) on a normal player, were not CD's or DVD's. Phase change material on recordable DVD's did not make them not an DVD either. Interesting.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2008, 8:21 AM   #712

Cidc0.

Yes had a dead Pixal, and the screen is fully used when you snapa pic you'll see. no issues with it but hey I got rid of it with a new one.

As for dvc tape it is better in ways ,asfor sd/mmc they can force you to update to a SDHC or higher one. As for Mini dvd they can limit the capacity or double the layers

I would preferre tape and tapeless over DVD anythime

cisc0 wrote:
Quote:
It's charging now ... and I must say, it definately doesn't seem as "cheap" and "toyish" as some seem to believe. It weighs about as much as a PDA, and considering it has a much smaller battery and is about the same size .... I have no issue with the "feel" of the cam. Yeah, it's made out of plastic ... so are most cars these days. lol

One problem ... the tft screen has one or two (kinda a cluster so im not sure how many) DEAD PIXELS. :roll: I've been having dead pixel issues lately. Luckily, they are in the right corner... in the black part of the screen, RIIIIIIIGHT above where you start seeing actual video.

Anyone else have dead pixels on their tft screen? Is this a defect I should be worried about?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 1:09 AM   #713

Hi, I am new to this forum. Have been reading some/most of it for a week or two. Saw the Aiptek A-HD and thought this may be the item I need when I go to DisneyWorld with my wife and kids for the first time. I didn't want to take the Sony Digital-8 and the Canon 10D and try to corral the kids. So I bought one. I am still in the 30 day period where I can return it and get my money back. Liked the idea of the one guy on youtube using those security lenses but was unsure to try and then expect to get my money back if I didn't like it. :roll:

I saw the mic edits and read the firmware talk. Some say the firmware helped the sound issues and some say not so much.:?

I think I may keep it. I collect cameras of all ages and have alot of accessory items from this collecting. One of the items is a few Kodak Series V lens/filter adapters. These were used on fixed focus cameras from the 50's,60's,and 70's. I have a pair of them attached to another vintage camera accessory, a wide angle and telephoto lens set from Vivitar. These have a threaded barrel and accept the Kodak adapters. These adapters have tabs insead of a screw mount on the open end which allows the adapter and anything screwed to it to be attached snugly to a lens barrel. The adapters I have are the 28.5mm ones, as there are various sizes of the Series V. I pushed the tabs out slightly to a point where they allow the barrel of the A-HD to slide it and seat snugly. To see the differences, check out my videos I uploaded to vimeo.

http://www.vimeo.com/user373492/videos

And please comment on them nicely. :-)

Bo
wedweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:21 AM   #714

Hi, my changed my nick to Quenaelin, somebody may guess who I was before. But here is my microphone fix without need to solder anything. I don't think any firmware update will help for bad audio, Aiptek A-HD mic is positioned wrong, it should be much higher so you don't get so much noises from plastic case. I am maybe posting help video and few examples also, but don't have time for those right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nKfdbWFtgg
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 3:32 PM   #715

Any hints or more detailed instructions on how to get the mic cover off?
funkydmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2008, 5:36 PM   #716

camera lense to the front

you slide it off to the rear and up. very simple to do a vid is up on youtube.

As I have taken many shots in still I do not take enough time or I do, and I may have to again change hand hold positions

many shots are not good as usual. And not worried. if the shots are fine then it is the macro sitch,

soon I will just eliminate theswitch all together by opening up the cam and sliding it off the switch. there is anothe switch above the lens that will be stuck on macro if you tamper with the incorrect ones. do not want that to happen
Old Mar 16, 2008, 8:29 PM   #717

Here is the adapter and lens on the barrel of the Aiptek A-HD.

Bo

Remember to check out the videos showing the differences. It is inside and under low light, so a little grainy. With the adapters I should be able to use various filters and other types of lenses.

http://www.vimeo.com/user373492/videos

wedweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2008, 5:14 AM   #718

wedweb.

thank you looks like a great fit love the idea of the cut outs that would allow a better fit

do not want you to work hard on this

but

vivitar wide angle a website and price:

i am happy with the magnetic one I have.

need to look at the vid but this hotel pc is funny LOL

thanks again
Old Mar 17, 2008, 10:52 PM   #719

I have to say ladies and gentlemen ... I LOVE this camera. I guess my expectations are low compared to most but ....

The vid quality in high lighting is pretty dang nice in either HD -or- D1. You'll see bleeding reds in orange (low) lighting. But honestly ... the quality even in those conditions is on par with most cams you would have bought that have no built-in light (bleeding reds and graininess) Night shots are grainy ... but I noticed when the lens is pointed at a light at night, the lights look very brilliant and even zooming into the light looks pretty decent. (I tested this as the sunset was ending)

The 8gb Transcend SDHC card works great and prior to recieving it I was amazed at how much HD footage I was really able to record on a 1gb SD card.

I have the latest firmware and my cam doesn't seem to have any real audio issues I can't deal with. I don't get any distorted audio but since the mic IS placed in a bad spot, the volume range isnt the greatest. But the audio is on par with some Hi-8/DVI cams. (I can hear what people say in the background as long as they are speaking at decent volumes) Again, the mic doesn't have great range ... but this is fairly common in cams (it's just most cams have mic inputs)

I was pretty impressed on how much I used the Aiptek A-HD before I had to recharge. Battery life is great for such a small battery. I've also found replacement batteries online for under $20 that have a tad more juice than the one that comes with the cam.

I love the form factor of the unit and while SOME say it feels "cheapish" or "toyish" ... I found it to be what I expected for its size. The weight is similiar to any device in its' size. (PDAs/Cells/ets) Sadly, my unit cam with a dead pixel on the tft screen ... but it's location on the screen isn't bad and I hardly notice it. (won't be exchanging it)

USB transfer speed is solid.

Zoom obviously isn't the greatest ... but that's what you get with a low digital zoom.

Can't really comment on the still picture option. I'll be using a digi cam for that one. But I'd imagine it's a decent camera for landscape type pictures and "on-the-go" pictures you want to take on the fly. The zoom limits it's camera capabilities.

All and all ....

For people who need a video capturing device and are on a budget and/or wish to wait until next gen cams are released at consumer prices ... I personally would rate the Aiptek A-HD a -MUST HAVE-.

IMHO, you're ONLY other option at this price range is the Kodak Z1275. And I would recommend that only for those who don't already have a digital camera -or- those who only want to use a single device no matter WHERE they go.

Great 'bang for your buck!

cisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 11:16 AM   #720

Hello all,

Proud new A-HD owner.

I was reading that when the Camera is hooked up to a TV for viewing the LCD is off.

1. ) When hooked to the TV, is the LCD sceen off during recording?

2. ) If so can I TRICK the camera to record with the LCD screen rotated and closed (to prevent magnetic shut off) and have the LCD screen off to save battery.

My goal is to use this device as a helmet cam for Paintball.

Thanks

Nodent

Nodent is offline   Reply With Quote