Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Mar 18, 2008, 2:05 PM   #721

Nodent wrote:
Quote:
Hello all,

Proud new A-HD owner.

I was reading that when the Camera is hooked up to a TV for viewing the LCD is off.

1. ) When hooked to the TV, is the LCD sceen off during recording?

2. ) If so can I TRICK the camera to record with the LCD screen rotated and closed (to prevent magnetic shut off) and have the LCD screen off to save battery.

My goal is to use this device as a helmet cam for Paintball.

Thanks

Nodent
1) Correct, the tft screen is shut off when plugged into the tv.

2) The camera will record with a rotated screen -BUT- the screen will remain on. The only time it is possible to use the camera WITHOUT the tft screen is when your using the cam as a DVR. From what I've read, you are able to record to the device without using the screen (thus increasing battery life).

IMHO ... if you want to use this for paintball (and don't mind if the video isnt in HD) ... I would buy a wireless cam off of Ebay or a hoppy store. The small "spy" cameras would be perfect for fitting on paintball gear and you could record the video directly on your Aiptek at a distance.

Something like this:

http://www.xheli.com/hemiwivica.html

I know you can find cheaper versions on Ebay as well ...
cisc0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 2:17 PM   #722

I tried the http://www2.oregonscientific.com/sho...77&pid=709but it did not have the quality I wan't, BUT it could take a hit.

I'll test my new toy and let you all know what I come up with.

Thanks
Nodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 2:37 PM   #723

Problem is with the "mini" lip-stick cams, you need to carry around the reciever, and then you need to power the reciever. If the reciever is left somewhere pluged in and not on your body, you have to worry about range. Hills, shelters ect.. may have a negitive impact. Personally Nodent, I would just use the cam with the screen fliped and on. The cam gets 90min on a single battery. Thats a lot of time. And if you design your helmet so that you can replace the battery without huge hastle, you would be set. The A-HD uses a N6, which is a standard cell phone battery, and I have seen them as cheap as $7. $6 each if you buy 4-5.

funkydmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 3:29 PM   #724

1. I don't know about US models but my EU model records fine with screen off when connected to TV connector and you can use earphone plug as TV connector to fool camera. I don't if this works with US models with TV recording option?

2. You have to remove magnet or use thin sheet of iron to fool magnet, instructions for removing magnet is somewhere in this forum. But basically you have to open up camera and disassemble it to pieces and remove magnet and then assemble camera again.

Nodent wrote:
Quote:
Hello all,

Proud new A-HD owner.

I was reading that when the Camera is hooked up to a TV for viewing the LCD is off.

1. ) When hooked to the TV, is the LCD sceen off during recording?

2. ) If so can I TRICK the camera to record with the LCD screen rotated and closed (to prevent magnetic shut off) and have the LCD screen off to save battery.

My goal is to use this device as a helmet cam for Paintball.

Thanks

Nodent
Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 3:42 PM   #725

Quenaelin are you saying you plug headphones into the AV/In-out/headphone jack, select headphones when the popup menu appears, the hit record, and it will keep recording when you close the screen?
If I am following your instructions correctly, it isn't working on my North American model. Shuts off the instant the door is closed.
funkydmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2008, 5:17 PM   #726

I made a thread about this

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...d=92&msg=3
Nodent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:14 AM   #727

Select AV out when using headphones, then your screen is going blank. EU models have only two options headphones and AV out, but US models have also AV input.

funkydmunky wrote:
Quote:
Quenaelin are you saying you plug headphones into the AV/In-out/headphone jack, select headphones when the popup menu appears, the hit record, and it will keep recording when you close the screen?
If I am following your instructions correctly, it isn't working on my North American model. Shuts off the instant the door is closed.
Alan Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 8:29 AM   #728

lintball wrote:
Quote:
I deleted some .mov files from my A-HD, and now I need them back. Before doing anything with the SD card, I removed it and tried some "undelete" utilities, including recova. It pulls the deleted files, but they will not play in anything (including vlc player)...I get qt error 2048. The file sizes seem reasonable, but the .movs are apparently messed up.

Any other suggestions before I give up on these? Thanks!

Anyone have any experience on how to recover deleted files?

I created a .bin of my 4gb SD card, but have been unable to get any recovered .mov files to play.

lintball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 8:54 AM   #729

I have experience in rescuing photos, for some unknown reason my Aiptek DV5700 messed up and deleted all my photos. I used Photorec and PC inspector smart recover, I was able to recover every JPG file and almost all video files. Don't write anything to SD card or then your files are completely lost, switch it to writeprotected mode when doing recovery.

lintball wrote:
Quote:
lintball wrote:
Quote:
I deleted some .mov files from my A-HD, and now I need them back. Before doing anything with the SD card, I removed it and tried some "undelete" utilities, including recova. It pulls the deleted files, but they will not play in anything (including vlc player)...I get qt error 2048. The file sizes seem reasonable, but the .movs are apparently messed up.

Any other suggestions before I give up on these? Thanks!

Anyone have any experience on how to recover deleted files?

I created a .bin of my 4gb SD card, but have been unable to get any recovered .mov files to play.

Quenaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2008, 4:50 PM   #730

turn pc on I now have thumbnail video of QT lol

I thought I set the hd off to D1 and film my trip home. in my mind HD is off and D1 is set.

as I am at an area, the camera turns off about 1 gig in do not know if the ac adapter went out or my hand hit it. I knowwhen I placed my hand up it was off within secs.

I said hey snap off the ac power an use dc power

well since tht battery is fully fresh 1:30 of video 2,53 plus gig

looked over time to time then noticed the cam off, turning back on to turn of thought it was like 30 minutes ofvideo

low and behold the battery did exhaust and it did at HD QUALITY OF90 MINUTES

yes you get 90 minutes of RECORD TIME.

super happy b/c I only wanted D1 but I will take HD it was super windy and old leaves blowing on a highway drive very bad out there thanks
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote