Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 31, 2007, 3:12 PM   #11

Sony actually makes the majority of the CCD sensors for consumer cameras, even for those who make their own sensors on their highend models such as Canon, Nikon etc.

You soon got an idea of just how many cameras Sony made the CCD's for when they slipped up in their manufacturing process and a list of cameras was released that contained one of these affected sensors!

My Minolta Dimage F300 is one of those cameras that is on that recall list but you can only take part in the recall if your sensor actually goes bad, and so far I have been lucky. I'll probably just use it as an excuse to buy a new camera if it does go bad as it won't be worth trying to mess with Sony for a long obsolete model.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 3:20 PM   #12

Quote:
You soon got an idea of just how many cameras Sony made the CCD's for when they slipped up in their manufacturing process and a list of cameras was released that contained one of these affected sensors!
Yeah, my parents had one of those! It was actually a sony cybershot, but one day the CCD was just sending garbage to the camera. Initially we thought it was just the screen, but the menus looked fine and when downloading the pictures to the PC, they were still just garbage. We sent the unit back under the recall and got it fixed.

Sony also makes lots of CCDs for use in security cameras. Most of them are just 640x480
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:47 PM   #13

I'm pretty sureany sensors sony may make for canon and nkion's lower end cams are still much higher specs then the majority sony distributes.

However I have read that some of thesesensor manufacturers (cough.. sony.. cough), sell sensors that fall below spec at discount pricing to some companies. These are sensors that would be otherwise discarded. :O
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 1:01 AM   #14

MorePixels wrote:
Quote:
I'm pretty sureany sensors sony may make for canon and nkion's lower end cams are still much higher specs then the majority sony distributes.

However I have read that some of thesesensor manufacturers (cough.. sony.. cough), sell sensors that fall below spec at discount pricing to some companies. These are sensors that would be otherwise discarded. :O
I wouldn't be so sure. I remember reading somewhere that the cheap 10MP cameras such as the Norcent DC1020 use the very same CCD sensor as the Canon A640 that I have at work for instance and seeing some Norcent image samples, I have to say that it wouldn't surprise me in the least since there isn't as much of a gulf in quality between the two as you would have expected in the past. Also the difference in price is much smaller these days as Canon cameras are much cheaper than they used to be.

Remember a good camera isn't just it's sensor, it's the optics and everything else that is wrapped around it!

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:54 PM   #15

Yes, I've noticed that a $50 camera takes just about as good of pictures as one that costs $200. These days the main difference between a $50 camera and a $200 camera is stuff like optical zoom, rechargeable battery, metal cast construction, bigger/better LCD screen, more refined firmware, etc. Heck, outdoors my Aiptek IS-DV2 takes very impressive pictures. In fact a few years ago I wouldn't have even believed it would have been a CMOS imager by looking at sample images.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 2:20 PM   #16

And with the digital components, it doesn't even matter if the case has a quality feel to it. As long as the lens and sensor are lined up, the camera can be a floppy assembly of ugly plastic and perform just as well as a camera that feels like it was machined from solid metal.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote