Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:07 AM   #1

Looks like the T300 finally made it across.

http://tinyurl.com/2j8gmj

Basically the IS-DV2 with a nice large swivelling LCD.

Just who comes up with these names at Aiptek USA? I mean ISDV2.4 sounds more like a filename than a camera! What was wrong with T300 as it was originally called on the Taiwan site?

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:44 AM   #2

The question is - what is its indoor performance like? After all, I've still been trying to figure out the deal on the Aiptek I-Cam. Although the I-Cam appears to be a white version of the IS-DV2, it is obviously different because the I-Cam does 720x480 resolution.

I believe it also uses a different sensor. That being the case, I'm trying to determine if it has any better indoor performance than the IS-DV2.

Another thing I find interesting is that if you look at the specs on the I-Cam, it says this:

720x480 at 20 frames per second

640x480 at 30 frames per second

Now.. two possibilities come to mind here. One is that they are finally admitting that the frame rates in high res aren't as claimed to be. (Althuogh I'd be happy if my IS-DV2 could maintain 20 fps. As it is, it is usually less than that in high-res) OR does the 720x480 mode actually deliver more detail? Lets face it, were only talking about 80 pixels more detail on the horizontal. But maybe they are also using less compression in this mode, which would be nice because the picture quality would be better.

Anyway, I've been looking at the I-cam on ebay as I've seen them go for under $50 and I like the design. If it is somewhat better than my IS-DV2, I'd be interested in it. As it is now, I can't tell. The swivelling screen on the IS-DV2.4 isn't really that big of a deal to me. I'm happy with the fold out design as I rarely video myself with a camera like this.

What I found that I DO like... is the fact that it uses regular AA batteries. To be honest, I didn't think I'd like this approach at all when I first got the camera. I stuck some alkaline batteries in it, they lasted about 3 days under above-average usage (I was busy testing the thing out) but then I got some rechargeable batteries for it. I am surprised how long they last. I didn't expect them to work very well, but they do.

That very thing is the reason I plan to take this camera to Europe with me. I'll be taking my Sanyo with me as a primary camera and the IS-DV2 as a backup. If something goes wrong with my Sanyo (Stolen, broken, lost, battery dead, etc..) I'll pull out the IS-DV2. And I know I can always get batteries for it wherever I go, should I need one unexpectadly.

I assume the new IS-DV2.4 also uses AA batteries. I think that is a good thing. I realize it limits the design because the batteries are thicker than the smaller lithium ion packs, though.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 9:50 AM   #3

Okay.. I'm going to reply to myself. I was looking at the specs for this thing on their website. These parts interest me:

720 x 480 Pixels (D1) up to 30 fps
640 x 480 Pixels (VGA) up to 30 fps
320 x 240 Pixels (QVGA) up to 30 fps

It appears this camera advertises the 30 fps in all video modes (although, previous experience tells me not to trust this)

The other thing that interests me is if you look at recording times. The D1 appears to consume 30% to 40% more memory storage than the 640x480 mode. However, the D1 mode only has 12% more pixels. So that tells me less compression, which may be a good thing.

adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 11:09 AM   #4

Well I was more interested in the MZ-DV, which looks like a glorified MPVR+ with a optical zoom! I really like optical zooms. If I have a optical zoom I use it a lot! I never use digital zoom accept to show people how crappy it is.

The ISDV2.4 (blue of course) is also appealing, AA batteries are easy to get no matter where u are.

Aiptek cracks me up. Most of their models come really close to what I want but stop short! If this model had optical zoom I'd get it over the MZ-DV!

I'm not really as hot for HD just yet, but am curious to what the quality looks like.
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 1:33 PM   #5

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=576658&forum_id=92

Aug 11th pointed out this info

sorry old news been out for 2 weeks in the Aiptek site LOL I already posted this info before

It is the same hybrid of the IS-DV2 and Icam only thing different will be a 720 res not 720P 540P (near vhs quality) and a swival

ISDV2.4 Blue
Code:R-ISDV24B
Price: $129.99
Quantity in Basket:none

Up to 8 Mega Pixel Digital Camera Record 720 x 480 MPEG-4 Video
Digital Video Stabilization Stereo MP3 Player 4x Digital Zoom
2.4" Swivel-Reversible LCD
Flash Strobe LED Lights 4GB SD Card Slot Expansion
TV/VCR Output Use as Webcam Plus more.....

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2007, 5:12 PM   #6

Yes I see now you had it buried with the other models. Quite correct.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 5:22 PM   #7

we, you and I know if this model came out when it was supposed to back last year we both would be filming everday moments with it for that low low price to low for me to mention.:G
Old Aug 21, 2007, 5:06 PM   #8

http://www.equistarr.com/index.php?t...oduct_id=30578

116 on sale at.

Old Aug 21, 2007, 8:45 PM   #9

fishycomics wrote: Wow! Such a low price. I'd better rush and get one quick! :lol:
Old Aug 23, 2007, 10:28 AM   #10

fishycomics wrote: Another big surprise its dearer in the uk, the cheapest is £65 which equals $130 and its been out for a month or two here.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote