Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 23, 2007, 7:34 PM   #1

I have just got one of these units form ebay, it was fairly cheap £30+10 p&p. It's not new as far as i can see but its in very good condition. It's a 5mp camera with 8mp with fw interpolation and is suppose to have a ccd sensor but only has digital zoom.
I've had a quick play with it and found it can eat batteries fairly quickly, the video doesn't seem bad but is rather poor in low light compared to my sanyo cg65. The actual picture from the stills camera side is pretty bad in my view it takes a very steady hand to get a picture that is not blurred. You get a few bits in the box like a tripod, batteries, wrist strap etc but no remote.
Compared to the sanyo the user interface is slightly clunky and confusing, I actually had to read the manual to find out how some stuff worked. Also the camera is fatter and slightly larger but still fits in jean pocket without to many issues.
When I get a chance I will post some clips and stills.
This seems this camera is sold under the traveler name too but this one only has 32mb internal memory whilst the traveler seems to come with 64mb.
Anyone else used this camera?
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 23, 2007, 9:30 PM   #2

Looks interesting. It is obviously not very mainstream, it took me a while just to hunt down a picture of what one looks like. But the picture quality is usually far more interesting to me. So I'll wait to see what you have.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 8:27 AM   #3

Here are a few sample shots, it seems to have a blue tint when the light levels get lower. But its fine for the money and doesn't have the wobble effect on pans.

Samples are here.
http://www.viddler.com/herbs/videos/6/
http://www.viddler.com/herbs/videos/7/
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:55 AM   #4

Actually, those samples don't look too bad at all for the price range. And from what I can tell it actually has a framebuffer, unlike the Aiptek models.

The digital zoom appears to be completely useless, which is no surprise.

The one thing I have never understood about the digital zoom is that the software engineers can't be bothered to make them work correctly.

What I'm saying is that if I take my Aiptek IS-DV2 and take a still shot in 3 MP mode, I have a nice, clean image. If I go into photoshop and crop the image, taking only the middle section of pixels to equal 640x480, I would have a very clear image. That would be a good example of a digital zoom.

Instead, what the internal software of these cameras seems to do is first reduce the size of the entire image from the CCD down to 640x480, usually by just grabbing a set of predefined, evenly spaced pixels for the video frames. Then, it zooms in on those frames. Which is totally backwards and stupid. If they wanted to, they could make the digital zoom very effective, but for some reason they just don't care. Like it might take a few extra days to code that feature..
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 11:22 AM   #5

How is the picture editing DVD software that came with it?

Also, does it have a custom WB setting, and what is ISO range?

thx.

MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 11:35 AM   #6

MorePixels wrote:
Quote:
How is the picture editing DVD software that came with it?

Also, does it have a custom WB setting, and what is ISO range?

thx.

Upto 200 ISO (yep pretty poor)
You can adjust the ev from -1.8 to +1.8, it has auto, lamp, fluorescent 1-2 and shade settings for the WB.

Not used the software but i think it's ulead videowave se.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 12:47 PM   #7

the vid is good not the best nor the worst. j

I like the coloring of the small plane. foul weather shows grey like all the rest, but what sticks out is the ski

some do take excellent shots of ski and others do not? great find
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2007, 5:16 PM   #8

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
Actually, those samples don't look too bad at all for the price range. And from what I can tell it actually has a framebuffer, unlike the Aiptek models.

The digital zoom appears to be completely useless, which is no surprise.

The one thing I have never understood about the digital zoom is that the software engineers can't be bothered to make them work correctly.

What I'm saying is that if I take my Aiptek IS-DV2 and take a still shot in 3 MP mode, I have a nice, clean image. If I go into photoshop and crop the image, taking only the middle section of pixels to equal 640x480, I would have a very clear image. That would be a good example of a digital zoom.

Instead, what the internal software of these cameras seems to do is first reduce the size of the entire image from the CCD down to 640x480, usually by just grabbing a set of predefined, evenly spaced pixels for the video frames. Then, it zooms in on those frames. Which is totally backwards and stupid. If they wanted to, they could make the digital zoom very effective, but for some reason they just don't care. Like it might take a few extra days to code that feature..
They should take a leaf out my Nokia's book. It's digital zoom is very good. It's so smooth you'd think it was an optical one. The screen resolution is less but even so there is no discernable pixellation.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote