Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 24, 2007, 6:58 PM   #1

TOday made a perfect example of why we (as in, us, on this forum) like cheap hybrid cameras. My daughter's daycare had seen me trying to take video of her in the mornings and evenings, but I never could get anything because the moment I walked in, my daughter would see me (or the other kids would yell at her that her dad was there) and I just couldn't get any shots of her being natural and just playing. One of the teachers offered to take some video if I wanted to leave the camera. So I left the Aiptek IS-DV2 with them today since they were having a "pizza party."

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"When I came in to pickup my daughter, she saw me and went to grab the IS-DV2 from the counter top where the teacher had left it. She wanted to open the screen, and before I got to her, she dropped it off the counter and onto the tile floor where the battery cover broke off and the batteries flew out. Fortunatly, nothing was permanently broken, but I still found myself thinking how glad I was that I had not left them my Sanyo CG6.

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"When I got home I hooked the camera up and found that the teacher had taken about 10 minutes of random video of her playing musical chairs, eating pizza, playing with her friends, and taking a nap. Her camera skills were not very good, and much of the video is very shakey. However, it allowed me to see aspects of my daughter's life that I've never seen before (because I'm always at work) and now she will get to see it when she is older.

I would have never left my CG6 with them.. so the fact that the camera is somewhat disposable is what made it possible.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2007, 7:27 PM   #2

as I am in between a break of reviewing LMAO yep?

I am suer happy about the great news?

1 would the teacher orschool invest in security or observation cameras. even a one way Mirror? thisway those footages can be goo- and bad LOL

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:21 PM   #3

I take back what I said earlier.. On closer inspection. the camera is partially broken. The little clips on the battery door are busted. at first glance it looks fine, but the little tabs are barely hanging by a thread. So the battery door no longer snaps in place securely. I might try some superglue, but I'm not sure how well that will work.
Old Aug 24, 2007, 10:52 PM   #4

camera works

batery door broken

aiptek sells 5.00 replace it sho[[omh may be a lil more
Old Aug 24, 2007, 11:14 PM   #5

Fishy, I'm glad you mentioned that.. I had no idea, I would have never guessed that they sold the battery cover seperately. I might just buy one. First I'm going to go look on ebay. Every now and then I see an IS-DV2 being sold for scrap parts. If it is cheap enough, I might just get another whole unit to use for spare parts.. if not, I'll buy the one on the website for $5. I might buy an SD card from them while I'm at it, their prices are very reasonable for the 1 and 2 GB sizes.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 12:46 AM   #6

Not only that, you are less worried that someone might walk of with it!

Now of course with Laptops etc they say the data is now often more valuable than the device itself, and since digital cameras and memory are getting so cheap, it's often the case that the photos are often worth more than the camera as well!

Of course one could always argue that with once in a lifetime events, the memories captured in the photos are always worth more than the price of any camera, since in theory at least, they *can* always be replaced. We still might not get over the loss of a $1000 camera for a good while whereas we might not think twice of replacing a $100 one!

There are those who believe that to capture a moment, only the very best will do, but how many of us have had enjoyment looking through old 110 camera photos? Did we start complaining to whoever took them that they should've used a 35mm camera at the very least and that a photo is not worth taking unless it was taken with an SLR? Of course not! We just enjoyed remembering the moment that the photo was taken and so it is with these cameras. I have already been looking at my 'older' videos taken with my Aipteks and they are great fun to look at. I realise that had I had to rely on my JVC Super VHS, I wouldn't have those fun clips!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 5:32 AM   #7

a few things I remember, asa kid film photo of a baseball game snapping a pix, goingto the k0dk booth, and finding those frames M.I.A. while all others were good, Stolem? precious moments in my mind. Reberto Clemente'

My maryland trip, All on the IS-DV. I savour that moment all om video but very little photo.

And having the Hybrids I bought and sold.

Sadest part for me ws my Shepherd when I started with the Hybrid/filming I never once Filmed the Talent of my bad boy, and that brings tear to my Eye.

SO if on that trip, or that moment you did not take that time to snap , just one shot, you'll be missing out?

<y Grans ma alwayssaid some quotes and we all know them

"If you see something you like better grab it , becasue the next time it will not be around"

"Everything you need can befoundrighthere in the naighborhood"

and that my friend is the truth? thecar, clothing etc. many hours spent and 2 minutes sold.
Old Aug 25, 2007, 12:00 PM   #8

Wonderful story, interesting thread and I couldn't agree with all of you any more!

I have a pile of expensive big bulky camera and video gear that for most of the year gather dust! I'm talking pro gear! I may use may be a few times a year! Yet my cheap cameras get used almost daily! Why is that? Well once the novelty of that big expensive camera wears off, you quickly realize that you simply do not want to carry a brick around your neck and lug around 50 pounds of lenses, flash, and tripod every time you leave the house.

For most every day circumstances most any camera or camcorder will do! And these hybrids are perfect! Don't get me wrong, the pro gear certainly have their use! And I'm glad I have them for special ocassions, but for every thing else, almost any camera will do!

I can't help to wonder and think about how many picture opportunities I missed because I didn't have a camera with me. Also I feel sorry for those who do not have cheap cameras or hybrids and only have expensive gear they cherish but hardly ever use!

For me capturing the moment is more important then quality. I can't believe I'm saying that! But it is true!
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2007, 12:34 PM   #9

2 quick short stories one MoreP you reminded me, and the other just hit me.

wrestling photo this fri sat 25 to take a phot signiture additional price your own camera yep you read it right their pix 5.00 more.

hey I got a bargain cost 25.00 it's on the truck, and you get it walk away so excited and you recieve yep a brick

LMAO will place tht in my review but I ave like 45 secs of 10 minutes boo hoo hoo

taking Micro breaks
Old Aug 26, 2007, 10:18 AM   #10

Yep... My parents have video of their wedding which was back in the late 1960's. It was taken on Super-8 film in black and white. No sound, of course. But you know what? They have video! Guess what? I got married in 1997 and I have NO VIDEO of it. Nobody in my family (including myself) owned a video camera at the time. We do have some still photographs, but no video. I take this challange.. think about it for a moment. What is the cheapest camera you can think of that takes video clips? I can think of several $20 toy cameras that will do this (I've reviewed a few of them) I would be THRILLED just to have a video clip from something like that. But as it is, I have nothing.

I think I need to mount a camera to my car like Fishy does! Hahaha. Yesterday I ran over a live snake slithering across the road. I had my Aiptek IS-DV2 in the cup holder (as usual) but still didn't have time to get it out. I was climbing a hill and the snake was just over the top so I only saw the snake about 2 seconds before hitting it. No time to get the camera out. I have no idea what kind it was. It was about 5 feet long and maybe an inch or two in diameter. It had its head lifted high, about a foot off the ground, while the rest of its body was slithering across the road.

If I had that security camera mounted in one of my non-existent fog-lamp holes, recording into something like an MPVR+, I could have had a very interesting recording.