Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 31, 2007, 5:34 PM   #11

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
I place this story here because I think this new sanyo is raising the bar of expectations once again!
Yeah, your story is not unique, I've met plenty of people with that attitude. Essentially, if it isn't perfect quality video, you might as well not have any video at all.. which is complete rubbish. But as far as Sanyo raising the bar.. I doubt it. This HD1000 is just too darned expensive to be purchased by the typical hybrid customer who wants to spend $150 to $300. Fortunatly, there are many camera models that fall in that price range. I think if the quality is very good on the HD1000, then more professionals will probably be interested in it, not home users.
That may be true, and precisely why I put this story here! If the new sanyo does attract more professionals then this type of camera will get the "exposure" it rightfully deserves. Then other manufactrurers will consider if this is a market they may want to consider entering. Which really is good news for every one.

With Canon already in the game, another major camera name like Nikon would really boost the hybrid market place. Why in another 3 to 5 years we can see topbrand name hybrids each with optical zoom for under $199! or may be not.
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 2:33 AM   #12

MorePixels wrote:
Quote:
With Canon already in the game, another major camera name like Nikon would really boost the hybrid market place. Why in another 3 to 5 years we can see topbrand name hybrids each with optical zoom for under $199! or may be not.

I wouldn't count that possibility out at all. Remember 5 years is a long time in technology. If I recall 5 years ago, a 5 MP camera was bleeding edge and 320x240/15fps MJPEG video was the norm. My own Minolta Dimage F300 came out in 2003 I think and was one of the first non prosumer 5MP compact cameras. I bought a 256MB SD card for it, which was an enormous size for me after the maximum of 16MB for my previous Olympus D340R with it's now long obsolete Smartmedia cards! To put that in perspective, I just read that Toshiba have finally produced 32GB SD cards although they won't be available on the market until early next year. The Sanyo Xactis, not that long ago were iall above $500 and I never thought I'd see one anywhere near the $200 mark anytime soon, but I did and I now have it, the Sanyo C40.

I am making a prediction that Sanyo will come out with a cut down cheaper version of it's 1280x720 HD camera sometime next year that will be in the $4-500 range much like they did when they brought out the Sanyo C40 for their SD range.

HD video cameras will also start to take over from SD cameras. Kodak is already starting to include HD video as standard in their newer consumer cameras. The Canon TX1 is already near the magic $399 mark for me, but sadly it doesn't do MPEG4 and I am not particulary thrilled about it's shape either which is why I don't care if it's supposedly better than the Sanyo HD2. Because of it's poor recording time, in my opinion it's still a Digital camera that happens to do video, rather than a flash based camcorder that happens to do decent photos.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 2:04 AM   #13

BTW I posted one of the first available downloadable HD1000 sample photo and video in that Sanyo forum thread.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 8:29 AM   #14

Top heavy design . but very impresive? i see the angle of the lens is facing upward as well?

a more trust worthy company over the economy ones?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 9:27 AM   #15

I noticed the base is now parallel with the lens barrel. I assume that finally means the Tripod socket is upright instead of at an angle.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 12:57 PM   #16

Good point rgvcam, I hadn't noticed that.It's also pointing straight when on the docking station.

[align=center][/align]
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 2:09 PM   #17

look aat your hand it does not hold that type of grip does it why that type of angle?

like they say more ergonomically designed? LOL
Old Sep 3, 2007, 3:13 PM   #18

rgvcam wrote
Quote:
HD video cameras will also start to take over from SD cameras. Kodak is already starting to include HD video as standard in their newer consumer cameras. The Canon TX1 is already near the magic $399 mark for me, but sadly it doesn't do MPEG4 and I am not particulary thrilled about it's shape either which is why I don't care if it's supposedly better than the Sanyo HD2. Because of it's poor recording time, in my opinion it's still a Digital camera that happens to do video, rather than a flash based camcorder that happens to do decent photos.
Kodak is probably including HD video too as from what I can tell of the Kodak digital cameras I've seen they too use the Ambarella chip which is what the Sanyo and Aiptek cameras use. I suspect we will continue to see more cameras under $500 and probably better engineered ones. The under $200 price point is an important one to break as that will sell a lot of the HD cameras.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 3:15 PM   #19

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
look aat your hand it does not hold that type of grip does it why that type of angle?

like they say more ergonomically designed? LOL
Tell that to gun manufacturers.
:lol:

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2007, 3:53 PM   #20

Sorry i was in a delema when I wrote that?LMAO i now see the grip angle, but the top is wa overboard ? butyou know what when in hand I wll love it? if i ever get one