Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 30, 2007, 1:12 AM   #1

I'll post more info as I get it in the Sanyo forum.

Cheers.
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2007, 1:58 AM   #2

I like the look of it, but it looks like its similar size or slightly bigger than the hd2 which is not really pocket size unlike the c/ca/cg range of the xacti.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 2:38 AM   #3

True, probably not totally pocketable, but bigger lenses and sensors reallydo help image quality and with full HD video (1920 x 1080) you probably want the best image quality you can get. Still when you look at this picture of the HD1000 relative to a female hand, it doesn't look bigger than the HD1/2:

[align=center][/align]
Old Aug 30, 2007, 5:19 AM   #4

I think they will have to be careful on the pricing of this one, although there might be a price premium for the size I do not think that sanyo can ask crazy prize for it. It's got a cmos sensor by the looks of it, I hope its a new canon or kodak one.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 10:01 AM   #5

We now have a price from Amazon: $799.99. Post in Sanyo forum updated.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 6:18 PM   #6

I can't wait to see samples! If any one can pull off excellent quality with e nice built cmos its Sanyo, ardic22 what do you think?

But I would like to see a smaller version of this.
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:47 PM   #7

I was going to get a Canon HG10 but this camera has spiked my interest. Best site I've seen for details is :
http://www.sanyo.co.jp/koho/hypertex...8/0830-1e.html
I just wonder what "Electronic Image Stabilizer" means. Also I wonder how good the low light performance is and manual focus. So far it looks good.
dvdivx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 8:16 AM   #8

MorePixels wrote:
Quote:
I can't wait to see samples! If any one can pull off excellent quality with e nice built cmos its Sanyo, ardic22 what do you think?
I'm not prejudice against CMOS sensors. I guess I just haven't been that interested in the unit because it is way out of my price range.

I could buy two Sanyo CG6s and an Aiptek A-HD for the same cost as one of these units. It was hard enough comming up with the money for the CG6.

Size is important to me on a hybrid. I like my CG6 because I'll be able to put it in my pocket and carry it all around Europe with me next month. This new camera looks a bit large for that. However, if I were just going to be using it around home and not travelling with it, then the size wouldn't bother me as it is still smaller than most camcorders.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 9:46 AM   #9

True Story! Visit to local camera store.

Hybrids still misunderstood even by professionals!

I stopped by one of our camera stores and seen a cool looking Nikon S10? I think. I thought it was a hybrid at firs and quickly asked to look at it. The sales clerk had to inform me I was holding the camera the wrong way, I was holding it like we hold our aipteks lol. Any way the man looks at me like I'm a retard and says, "that's a camera not a video recorder, your holding it the wrong way." Well I tell him it looks like a hybrid. He said its not a hybrid. I asked what kind of video format it records. He says again, its a camera not a video recorder. I said I know! But it also records video, I want to know what format. Well he kind of rolls his eyes and tells me I would not be happy with the video quality at all, and if I wanted a video recorder I should look at the camcorders, he points to them. I asked him if I can fit any of the camcorders in my shirt pocked? He said no. I tell him well thats what I like about hybrids, now what format does the nikon record? Well he didn't know so he had to check, turns out it records in avi. Pitty because this model has a great optical zoom lens and is currently marked down pretty cheap!

He then pretends to know about hybrids and tells me I would not be happy with the quality of any such video camera. I tell him I have a few already and am very happy, and that the convience and fun factor rates much higher then any of my higher end camaers or camcorders I own. He said that may be true but the quality is not worth it. There is no manufacturer producing and quality models yet. I remind him about Sanyo, Canon, and Panasonic. He just smiled and asked if thee is any thing else he can help me with.

I place this story here because I think this new sanyo is raising the bar of expectations once again! And its sad that these hybrids are still largely misunderstood or misrepresented even by so called professionals!
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:53 AM   #10

Quote:
I place this story here because I think this new sanyo is raising the bar of expectations once again!
Yeah, your story is not unique, I've met plenty of people with that attitude. Essentially, if it isn't perfect quality video, you might as well not have any video at all.. which is complete rubbish. But as far as Sanyo raising the bar.. I doubt it. This HD1000 is just too darned expensive to be purchased by the typical hybrid customer who wants to spend $150 to $300. Fortunatly, there are many camera models that fall in that price range. I think if the quality is very good on the HD1000, then more professionals will probably be interested in it, not home users.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote