Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 31, 2007, 6:30 PM   #11

reprazent wrote:
Quote:
I've been looking around on Ebay, someone is selling multiple CG6's for only $222 - is a low price like this even possible? the shop has over 48k reviews, 98% positive

Yes the price is possible, however be aware that (if you are in the US)you likely won't be covered by the manufacturer warranty as it was probably packaged for a market other then the USA.
Rotorflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 11:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Currently IMHO there is no better camera for $300 then the CG6.
I agree. I spent several weeks reading forums here and searching for sample videos on the internet before I decided to buy the CG6. I do not regret the decision at all. The camera is everything I thought it would be and more. One of the things I'm very impressed with is its ability to take still photos - somethingI didn't expect. Sure, any hybrid can take still photos (that is what makes it a hybrid) but let me show you the difference. Most importantly, the CG6 has a 2-stage shutter button. Press it half-way and it locks the focus and exposure followed by a beep. Press it the rest of the way and it takes the picture. This is a feature you don't expect to get on a hybrid. You can also adjust how the focus-lock works, you can define what part of the picture you want it to lock on, etc. One really cool thing I like is that when you press the shutter button half-way down in full-auto mode, it actually puts a little grid on the screen and shows you exactly what part of the picture it decided to focus on. That way you know for sure whether the subject you are trying to photograph is the item most in focus or not. You would never see these types of features on an Aiptek camera, I doubt even the Go-HD. What makes this camera so awesome for me is that it is finally the true definition of a hybrid. It totally and completely takes the place of a camcorder and a still camera. It has no compromises on either one. Lots of hybrids seem to be better at one thing than another, but not here. It is the only camera you'll need to carry with you.

The Sanyo also doesn't lie with any marketing tactics. It really does take 30 frames per second and it really does capture at 6 Megapixels. There are no gimmicks, no lies. The low light performance beats out most if not all consumer camcorders (most consumer camcorders have a 1/6" CCD, the CG6 has a much larger 1/2.5")

I just can't brag on this camera enough. In fact, we're about to have a showdown. My brother - who I've mentioned - thinks the camera is a toy. He just bought a $4,000 professional HD Sony camcorder. Only, he just discovered that he can't get the HD video onto his PC through the usual firewire. Instead it downconverts to 720x480 unless he buys an HDMI video capture card. Anyway, We're going to go out this weekend or next and take some comparison shots. I'll be bringing my CG6 and we'll compare the standard-definition video. I know that the CG6 can show some minor compression artifacts, but I'm willing to bet that the light performance, color saturation, focus, etc... it will be hard to tell the difference.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:11 AM   #13

For some reason, even when I could easily afford it, I have never had the 'urge' to get high end equipment. I guess I just like the challenge of using cheaper equipment (or maybe I am just a secret masochist :G)

Many years ago, back in the late 1980's, in the UK I bought a Praktica SLR camera with 3 lens (yes 3 lens!), one of which was a Carl Zeis for the unlikely sum of £50 brand new. I didn't want to spend a boatload only to leave it collecting dust because I lost interest in it. Anyway a friend of mine had bought an expensive Canon EOS film camera which I think cost him more like £300!!. My photos were just as good if not better than his and guess who is still into photography today, and more importantly guess who isn't? I still have that Praktica somewhere in the house today although I will admit that finally it's collecting dust! :G

I also remember seeing an advert for some cheap ORWO slide film in a photographic magazine back then. It was really cheap, about £3 including processing! So I sent off for one and I was amazed at how good it looked after I got the slides back, so I then ordered some more. If I recall they were an East German Company as well.

From what I understand, the Praktica company today is not the same company as it was before reunification and I am willing to bet that it's cheaper compact cameras are manufactured in China now.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:39 PM   #14

I have the cg65 and can only praise it for the money, I believe the only difference between this and the cg6 is that the 65 uses h.264 codec.
Heres a sample http://media.putfile.com/truimph-motor-bike

herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 6:54 PM   #15

Ugh.. Well, I guess I have something bad to say about my CG6 now. A pixel went bad on the screen today when I was using it. It stays bright green all the time. Of course, I prefer that over a bad pixel on the imager, but still it is irritating.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 8:17 PM   #16

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
Ugh... A pixel went bad on the screen today when I was using it. It stays bright green all the time. Of course, I prefer that over a bad pixel on the imager

How old is your camera? Any idea how many pixels have to go bad before Sanyo would repair/replace it under warranty?
Old Sep 2, 2007, 8:55 PM   #17

Rotorflyr wrote:
Quote:
How old is your camera? Any idea how many pixels have to go bad before Sanyo would repair/replace it under warranty?
I've only had it a few weeks. I looked in the warranty information and it doesn't mention bad pixels. I am not willing to send it back right now anyway because I'll be leaving for Europe in a few weeks andI need this camera with me. If they fail to return it in time, I would be screwed. I suppose I could return it to Wal-Mart, as they rarely ask questions. But I'm not sure if 1 bad pixel is worth the trouble or not. If it wasn't a green pixel stuck in the on position all the time, it wouldn't be as noticeable.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 10:43 PM   #18

If you won't be back from your trip prior to Wal Marts 30day return being up, I'd go ahead and exchange it, cause you know it will bother you if you don't. Otherwise, wait til you get back and do it then.

Another thing to consider is while Sanyo'swarranty doesn't mention bad pixels specifically, they have to cover the display for defects, (though 1 bad pixel isn't going to be considered "defective") if you're already having a problem, it could lead to more bad pixels (quickly?), so may still be worth looking into what/when Sanyo considers (it)defective.

Also, For those interestedI've added another vid clip to viddler:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/XactiCG6/videos/4/

Old Sep 3, 2007, 9:15 AM   #19

Eh.. I don't think I'm going to worry about it. It is possible the thing has been there all along and I didn't realize. I turned it on today and noticed that I couldn't locate the dead pixel until I put my hand over the front of the lens as to make it dark. Then I wondered why it was so obvious yesterday. Well, I had gone to this labor-day party that my wife's family was having. The house we were in was very dark, with almost no lights on. It was daylight outside, so there was light in the house, but only what came in through the closed blinds. The Sanyo was actually doing very well, considering the circumstances. However, everything on the screen was darker than usual, combined with the fact that there is no ambient light so everything comming from the screen seems brighter. I think those two things combined made the pixel stand out more. Today in a well-lit room, I can't even see it. So, as I said, it is possible it has been there all along.

I did learn one interesting thing about the Sanyo from this experience. The sanyo definately does not show you what is being recorded on the LCD. In other words, what you see comming from the LCD is exactly what comes from the CCD, before being compressed. I noticed the video looked pretty good in this dark house on the LCD. But on playback it looks awefull. Of course, that is what static in the image (from low light) will do to compression - it requires a huge bitrate to store frames full of random static.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:46 AM   #20

sorry to hear about the bad pixel! You must have good eyes to see it on the monitor! I've had my share of them over the years, and usually they were on the sensor which required returning the camera unless your brand had a remapping software utility which could correct it. On LCD's and monitors its just plain annoying! I went thru 4 sony laptops trying to find one with out any bad pixels, they all had them! I gave up and bought a cheap HP! Go figure!

BTW you would have a hard time finding a cg6at walmart now, they are all sold out in my area!

I would get it repaired or replaced when you get back from your trip.

MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote