Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 30, 2007, 3:18 AM   #1

Here are some samplepictures and videostaken with my CG6 and a Kingston 2GB card (also have a Kingston 4GB SDHC card but haven't used it yet).

Photos: http://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]

Video: http://www.viddler.com/explore/XactiCG6/videos

As a little background, I've had it about 2 weeks and haven't really had a chance to play with all the settings, so pretty much every shot was auto exposure/auto white balance (I'll play around with the other settings at a later date)

So farI'm impressed with this little cameras performance, The "super macro" mode works quite well (imho),the battery life (with the real Sanyo battery) seemsrather good, especially when you factor in the lack of viewfinder, and use of flash (haven't bench-marked it yet) The cheap extra batteries I picked up on EBay don't last as long, but still do ok and I think it's pretty unlikely I'll run out of power during a shoot, more likely I'd run out of card space first, but I guess that remains to be seen.

Overall, I'd say this camera is a keeper, and if/when it's HD siblings come down in price I'll likely pick one of those up as well.

Rotorflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:07 AM   #2

Yep.. A few of us on here have the CG6. It is definatly a great camera. I've said before that its still picture capability rivals that of a stand-alone digital camera and the MPEG4 video is top-quality too.

Too bad on your picture of the flower with the bee that it didn't focus on the bee correctly.

In case you haven't seen these already, here are pictures I've taken with my CG6:

http://flickr.com/photos/david_murray/tags/cg6/

and my review of the camera on viddler:

http://www.viddler.com/adric22/videos/6/
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 3:58 PM   #3

Thanks for the vids and pics guys, I used to think that hybrids took crappy photos, I guess times have changed.

I was impressed by the dimlight/evening shot movies adric - what a world of difference (that's a great videoreview btw)

Hopefully you guys don't mind me asking a few questions here (read: hijack this thread)

so in the $300 range the CG6 is the clear winner atm? I've been looking into the Aiptek GO-HD too, but I'm not really convinced when I read about all the bugs and errors. (or has this been blow out of proportion?)

what's important for me:

- I'll be doing lots of low light indoor movies
- I want to capture fireworks

so do you guys have experience with capturing fireworks?
what kind of cams to avoid or can you recommend for fireworks? example movies would be awesome.

I'm looking to spend $200-300

reprazent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 4:26 PM   #4

reprazent wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the vids and pics guys,

so do you guys have experience with capturing fireworks?
what kind of cams to avoid or can you recommend for fireworks? example movies would be awesome.
http://www.upfordown.com/pupload/view/2791 3 minute plus

funny how i cannot get a dvd to read in my pc, got to get the codecs back in relied on the laptop LMAO. I have and will be doing this review later on three camcorder videos the casio, the jvc, and the new A-Hd? so look at the above direct download? or in the a-hd thread?

I cannot say a word yet
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 4:47 PM   #5

Thanks for pointing me to that movie fishy, that was taken with the (old?) A-hd?

I gotta say impressed by the sound, almost feels like I'm actually standing there :G
The A-HD goes for $169 right? are they releasing a new revision? I'll be looking forward to your other reviews.
Old Aug 30, 2007, 4:53 PM   #6

Quote:
so in the $300 range the CG6 is the clear winner atm? I've been looking into the Aiptek GO-HD too, but I'm not really convinced
I briefly considered the Go-HD when making my purchase choice. But the Sanyo was the clear winner because it doesn't suffer from bendy, wiggly video like the aiptek cameras do. (due to no framebuffer) That was a dealbreaker for me. I can live with out the HD video, in order to have a camera that is more reliable, has better sound, audio/video syncronization, better low-light performance, etc..

The A-HD might make a good budget camera, but still suffers from many of the issues I can't tolerate.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2007, 11:38 PM   #7

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
Too bad on your picture of the flower with the bee that it didn't focus on the bee correctly.
adric,

Yeah it would've been nice if that dang bee would'a held still while I took the picture, but it (and it's cousins) kept moving on me :lol:, and that was the best of the three shots I took (didn't bother to save the others) I'm sure one of these day's I'll get a better shot in a similar situation.

Also, I've seen your pics and the review of the camera (one of the things that helped me decideto makemy purchase actually)

Rotorflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 12:08 AM   #8

Have you seen the new FULL hidef Sanyo they just released info on today?

See the discussion in the Sanyo Forum:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=27
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 1:44 PM   #9

Looks like one sexy cam, the price is less sexy though... :G

I've been looking around on Ebay, someone is selling multiple CG6's for only $222 - is a low price like this even possible? the shop has over 48k reviews, 98% positive
Old Aug 31, 2007, 6:30 PM   #10

Currently IMHO there is no better camera for $300 then the CG6.

Canon has one that gets decent reviews, but is boxy and dog ugly in my opinion.

Sanyo has the design down perfectly and a lot of thought goes in to detail!

I would love to see Nikon get in this game!

MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote