Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Aug 30, 2007, 2:24 AM   #1

Saw this the other dayat CompUsa:

I didn't reallyhave a chance to check it out as I was in a hurry.

The body is "rubberized" to give it some weather proofing, and alsolikely to toughen up the case*.

So does anyone own one or has had a chance to check it out?

*edit

Rotorflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2007, 9:54 AM   #2

It looks nice but samsung is not known for quality on their low end camcorders, so I would be cautious on hybrids too, but admit I am curious too.
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 10:19 AM   #3

The reviews that I have read about the Samsung Hybrids have said the video quality is not upto par. I don't know why they seem to skimp on video quality since these hybrids are not actually that cheap when compared to the Sanyos.

Their Digital cameras do seem to be getting better though.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 7:33 PM   #4

rgvcam,

Were the reviews you've seen "professional" reviews or from a consumer?

Reason I ask is most of the professional reviews seem to mark the hybrids asdelivering poor quality video and stills (and we know that isn'tnecessarily the case)
Rotorflyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 9:32 PM   #5

I have not read any reviews of this camera, but have read several reviews of Samsung camcorders. They always fall below average. So I would not expect any glorious reviews of this hybrid. This does not mean it can't be any good. But samsung really is not famous for quality camcorders
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2007, 9:52 PM   #6

Seems to be missing part of the normalhybrid definition - a still camera mode. It does, however,have a MP3 player and a voice recorder so might still be considered a hybrid.
Old HACer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2007, 11:19 PM   #7

Rotorflyr wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam,

Were the reviews you've seen "professional" reviews or from a consumer?

Reason I ask is most of the professional reviews seem to mark the hybrids asdelivering poor quality video and stills (and we know that isn'tnecessarily the case)
Professional Reviews as there didn't seem to be that many consumer reviews even when compared to the hybrids. I do agree with your sentiments and there may well be a bit of bias against a second tier manufacturer like Samsung but then again I have also noticed a bias against Sanyo as well though generally the Sanyo's seem to come out much more favorably when compared to the Samsungs. Of course there are certain places where they consider the Sanyo's complete rubbish which is obviously untrue to anyone who has used one.

I did actually seriously consider a Samsung Hybrid before I got my Sanyo but at the time I couldn't find any samples. That along with poor reviews put me off them. It does irritate me that reviewers even now still don't seem to give samples. A few seconds of MPEG4 format isn't that large a download.

In the end, you may just have to purchase one from somewhere that has a really good return policy, preferably without the 15% restocking fee!

If you do get one, we'd obviously love to see some samples, preferably direct download than youtube of course.:G

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote