Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:02 PM   #1

Remember how I mentioned that my daughter broke the battery cover on my IS-DV2? Well, I was going to buy one from Aiptek's website for $5, until I discovered that they wanted an additional $7 to ship the item. So $12 seemed like a lot of money fora battery cover. So I went on ebay and found an IS-DV2 that was being sold AS-IS for parts. I bid on the item, won it for $1.

It arrived today. I checked the battery cover first thing to make sure it was in good shape. it was, I was happy. The camera was actually in better physical shape than my existing one. Except for the fact that it was covered in sticky goo where it has had various adhesive labels attached and removed. It still has a sticker from Target labelling it as defective merchandise. For the heck of it, I decided to put some batteries in to see what was wrong. Guess what? it works perfectly. I did some tests with video, still pictures, flash, SD-Card, and USB. Everything seems to work fine. So, I guess I'll clean the gunk off of it with some Alcohol and start using it, keeping my old one for spare parts.

Oh.. Might I add, I think it actually works better than my old one. In the two test videos I've done, the audio actually syncs with the video. It may be a fluke, I'll have to do more testing.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:50 PM   #2

hahah
well it sounds like you got a great deal.

i saw my camera today in a hammacher schlemmer magazine yesterday selling for $300
the one i got for $80 (new) on ebay

so basically...i guess ebay is awesome for buying hybrid cameras.

wasserbrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:59 PM   #3

Hahah.. Well, we already knew most hybrids sell for half of retail on ebay. Anyway, I just spent the last 20 minutes using some WD-40 (I was out of alcohol) to clean off all the nasty adhesive labels. By golly, this thing looks absolutely brand-new now.

One interesting side note. It has the little rubber cover that goes over the USB port and SD-card slot. My older one was missing that when I bought it used. Now I know why. The thing s u c k s and is a huge pain in the butt! I won't stay closed correctly when the SD card is inserted and it is a pain trying to get it out of the way for plugging in the USB. I'm tempted to cut it off.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:17 PM   #4

I spoke too soon. After using it for about 15 minutes with no problems at all, it suddenly shut off. Then it continued to reboot constantly. The moment it starts to show video, off it goes. I have changed the batteries, didn't help. I totally disassembled the unit and checked every connector. Still no good.

It is strange that it worked well for about 10 uses of several minutes each with no problems, then suddenly goes into this permanent fit.

I wonder if it has something to do with that magnetic sensor on the door. The magnet itself is inside the case. Removing it wouldn't help since the sensor is in the screen and the screen is open with the problem happens. Unfortunatly, the screen doesn't appear to disassemble without tearing it up.

Oh well.. At least I got the battery door and some future spare parts.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:40 PM   #5

Well you know that saying... "If it's too good to be true, it probably is". Had to be some reason you got it for $1! :G
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 1:20 AM   #6

I was going to suggest WD-40 to remove the goo, but you already did that. You can also use butter, margarine, or oil to remove that stuff, then soap or whatever to remove the residue. Gas, paint thinner etc. just smear the stuff.

Since you have a working but unsatisfactory version of the camera, why not swap modules until you get the newer one working properly? It doesn't sound like the screen iteslf is to blame. Sounds more like a power supply or short problem.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 5:59 AM   #7

Congrads, on your findings? What was the search you found it in? AIptek,etc? I am lookin gfor a remote, and should have bought one for 9.99 with the A-HD ? 7.999 to NYS is not alot of dough but I am sure if it is for something that was in my case worth it,but yours not?

Nowfor me to get a remote , yes 16.00 is alot , but the remote sold for 15.99 at one time. My option is a Go, I'll get a spare battery, costing upt to 40.00 a remote 10.00, and a ac aapter 10.00 The Remoe is Universal.

Now if I knew thesignal, or can use a rca auto remote I bet I can one day get it to work after I search through the whole cycle of devices? LMAO?

Well cleaning , and swapping may just not be a good idea, you'll have to open the body up? not worth it?

" ALL" the USB covers are ofa Poor design, and Why RGVCAM did not saya bad design oon theBattery door:G
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:25 AM   #8

sgspirit wrote:
Quote:
Since you have a working but unsatisfactory version of the camera, why not swap modules until you get the newer one working properly? It doesn't sound like the screen iteslf is to blame. Sounds more like a power supply or short problem.
I have thought about it. The newer ones case is in perfect shape. However, I fear of messing up my correctly working unit, and for what? getting rid of a few case scratches?

Yeah.. After further experimentation I am starting to think it is power-regulation related. I say this because if I plug it into the USB port on my PC I can use it in disk drive and camea mode with no problems. The moment I try to run from batteries, it starts acting up again.

Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:26 AM   #9

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
ALL" the USB covers are ofa Poor design, and Why RGVCAM did not saya bad design oon theBattery door:G
Actually I didn't find the cover quite as bad as the MPVR design Aipteks. Battery covers seem to be a problem for a lot of products, even the mainstream ones if you read a lot of reviews. Still if it's dropped then sure it'll probably break :G

I think that Aiptek having to use UPS to send a battery cover is a bit over the top myself. Regular post would be sufficient at that price level but then they would probably still charge you anyway. newegg.com uses regular post for a lot of it's items but they still charge $5 so it probably won't save you much. Postage and Packing for small items is a racket.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 5, 2007, 10:53 AM   #10

Target has a 15% restocking fee for returns that still work, but give you full refund for defective merchandise.

Glad you made out!
MorePixels is offline   Reply With Quote