Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 9, 2007, 10:59 PM   #1

I don't know about you guys, but I have had tons of difficulty getting the videos from my two hybrids to play on other people's computers. Both of them use MPEG4, as do most of them around here. However, the Aiptek is a .ASF and the Sanyo is a .MP4. The sanyo is a double-whammy because it also requires AAC codec for sound. Finding all the apropriate codecs and getting them to work with the various versions of windows and windows media players out there has been a nightmare. Just installing an MPEG4 codec like Xvid doesn't seem to work most of the time.

Sanyo's solution is that they have a huge install of Quicktime on their CDROM which also installs all of the right codecs. This is irritating because it takes 20 minutes to install it, and quicktime is bloated and slower than windows media player so it takes forever between the time you click on a movie and see it show up on the screen. Windows media player also has the annoying habit (besides being bloated) of starting up in a small window and it starts playing automatically but you only see like 25% of your image until it decides to resize the window 20 seconds later.

So I started searching for an alternative. I have found several media player type programs out there that seem to work. Just a few to mention:

GOM Player

Crystalplayer

Core Media Player

All of these work with my Aiptek videos. The top two also work with the Sanyo but won't play audio until you install a codec for AAC. Since these programs do not use the built-in directshow and video-for-windows codecs in your operating system, they have all of their own decoders built in. These programs are much, MUCH smaller than Quicktime or Windows media player and seem far more responsive. That is because they are just video players rather than trying to be the be-all of music and media management programs.

I'm still looking for a small program that will play the Sanyo videos right "out of the box" so to speak without needing additional codecs. That way when I email a sanyo video to a friend or family member, I can give them a link to download such a player. There are still several dozen more for me to try, though. I'll update here if I find some other good ones.

adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 10, 2007, 4:18 AM   #2

no problem here? al play fime aiptek casio online? guess thesoftware I recieved has the codecs a ffw one from Ispan does the trick.

wmp opens fine . qt opens fine just hate real player always had
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 10:46 AM   #3

You missed VLC Player from www.videolan.org. This is a much better player than Quicktime for the Sanyo videos files. It also had one advantage until recent versions of Quicktime in that you could play those videos fullscreen. With Quicktime, you had to buy the pro version, but I now see that Quicktime have changed that, probably because they realised that no one was going to buy Quicktime Pro just for fullscreen capability!
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2007, 11:58 AM   #4

Actually.. I had planned to try this player. I used it a few years ago but it was very buggy. I have heard that it is far more refined and stable now. I was planning to give it a try again.

I've been very pleased with GOM Player.. it is so much more responsive than Windows Media Player or Quicktime.

Yeah. The full-screen thing irritates me about Quicktime as well. I know I have never been willing to buy the pro just for that feature.

Oh.. Another thing that irritates me about Windows Media Player - Lack of brightness/contrast controls. Now I know some people will say that it has them. That is a tricky question. It only has them on SOME codecs, depends on what you are playing. Secondly, they are hard to find and the average person has no idea where those controls are buried.

And the last thing I have to say today that irritates me about Windows Media Player. Have you ever noticed on some people's machines if you double-click for full-screen it will go full screen, but leave the actual video the exact same size centered in the middle of a black screen? I mean, WTF? I've never figured out why that happens. It doesn't do that on mine, but darned near every friend of family member I go to, I open a video (any video) and try to do full-screen and that is what happens..

Microsoft... They are so darned sure that they have the best product that they often don't take some of the most obvious things into consideration.
Old Sep 10, 2007, 1:10 PM   #5

Movie Studio 11.

You can download a full blown trial version and see if it works for you. Quite easy to use. I tried it with my Xacti HD1A just today and it did a good job but slow.

Download your SD card to the Sanyo-Pex file when prompted, arrange themin dateorder if you wantand then close it.

Then open Movie Studio 11 and dig them out from the Sanyo-Pexfile. Just drag them down in to the timeline at the bottom of the Movie studio 11screen.

Good luck.

El Bastardo.

Bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2007, 9:19 AM   #6

Oh.. Just thought I'd mention, I just downloaded the sample clip from the A-HD that was just posted (a panoramic in a hill of some kind) and GOM player also plays this "right out of the box" too. I have had difficulty playing video samples from the Go-HD and the A-HD in media player or quicktime. So far, GOM player has played everything I have thrown at it, even MJPEG video from my wife's digital camera and from my home security system recorder, and from my Sanyo CG6 and Aiptek IS-DV2. These are all things that Windows Media Player will not play out of the box and requires codecs to be installed.
Old Sep 18, 2007, 10:10 AM   #7

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
Oh.. Just thought I'd mention, I just downloaded the sample clip from the A-HD that was just posted (a panoramic in a hill of some kind) and GOM player also plays this "right out of the box" too. I have had difficulty playing video samples from the Go-HD and the A-HD in media player or quicktime. So far, GOM player has played everything I have thrown at it, even MJPEG video from my wife's digital camera and from my home security system recorder, and from my Sanyo CG6 and Aiptek IS-DV2. These are all things that Windows Media Player will not play out of the box and requires codecs to be installed.
GOM looks like a decent player but on my machine which is no slouch (ie 2.6Ghz) the GO-HD video won't play at all in GOM. I think each media player still seems to be hardware dependant ie what works for some, may not for others. In anycase I am going to see if there are any further settings I can tweak on this player.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 5:14 PM   #8

If you think you have it bad... try viewing these clips on a Mac.

I am not computer whiz so when I bought my Aiptek MPVR
I assumed it would play fine since it said Mpeg4. I have
not had any trouble playing these type files, then I find out they are saved in asf. files (which I had never heard of).
Naturally my iMac does not recognise this type file but I can get so-so results with the VLC program.

Another odd situation, I plugged in the camera to my desk top before downloading the C-D... bad mistake... now my camera shuts off if I connect it to my desk top.

I put the CD in *first* on my laptop ibook and I don't have this problem.
Not sure what to do on my desk-top to "undo" whatever happened when I plugged up the camera before inserting the CD but I guess I can live with just using it on my laptop.

My only compaint with this Aiptek is that the files are not saved as MPEG or AVI, I have lots of these type web vids on my computer playing through QT without a problem.

dammyroc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 5, 2007, 5:44 PM   #9

dammyroc1

MAc file upload only? quicktime is the player .mov is the format. mpeg4 is the compression?

Win mesia player is the player asd is the format mpg4 is thecompression

it is a more compressed file that allows info to get stores and use less save space so more video can be stored ?

these cameras are not mac users. now the Go-hd and A-Hd hmmm they're catering in that direction? and hope that cleared up your troubles?

It is best to contact Aiptek have them help you out as they may have a solution to what can happen if loaded wrong?

I think a trouble shoot guide would be thought out if they sold the MPVr?

otherwise you may need to go into a control panal locate thedriver usb, or software delete out?not a mac user but one day I may be?

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote