Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 16, 2007, 4:06 PM   #1

Hey everyone. Just a question about MiniDV camcorders. The answer is probably easy and simple. The question is... "Are there any MiniDV camcorders that hookup to the computer and transfer video via USB 2.0 (NOT Firewire)?" I have recently been looking at MiniDV camcorders just because I am curious about them and I have been seeing that they all hook up to the computer to transfer video via Firewire. Most of these camcorders have USB ports, but theyre used for just transferring pics. If anyone has an answer, pleast post here! Thanks everyone!
Kevin_0089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 16, 2007, 4:52 PM   #2

Hey kev welcome in, again if not mentioned?

1 usb basically transfers - forgetting , casue I am now used to the firewire?

pics not video? thevideo can betransfered with the rca and din jack.

2 the firewire they say is a lot faster but I believe it controls the functions like play rew/ffw not the speed? from camcrder to pc? just more info allowed in a firewire than a rca jack?

dvc real time 1 hour recorded video requires 1 hour to the pc in windows moviemaker or 3rd party? did that help a little?

I own a jvc grd-395 U series love it
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2007, 9:57 PM   #3

Kevin_0089 wrote:
Quote:
Hey everyone. Just a question about MiniDV camcorders. The answer is probably easy and simple. The question is... "Are there any MiniDV camcorders that hookup to the computer and transfer video via USB 2.0 (NOT Firewire)?" I have recently been looking at MiniDV camcorders just because I am curious about them and I have been seeing that they all hook up to the computer to transfer video via Firewire. Most of these camcorders have USB ports, but theyre used for just transferring pics. If anyone has an answer, pleast post here! Thanks everyone!
You could always buy a firewire card for your PC. They are quite inexpensive now and should install as easy as a USB card.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 3:40 PM   #4

rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Kevin_0089 wrote:
Quote:
You could always buy a firewire card for your PC. They are quite inexpensive now and should install as easy as a USB card.
Hey rgvcam. Where could I buy a firewire card? Is Best Buy an option? If so, could you post a link to the product here? Thanks for the help!
Kevin_0089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 4:30 PM   #5

you're best to look online newegg, ebay or even a local pc store you may find them rreal cheap?

the rca jacks do fine you just cannot use the wmm controls LOL

firewire cost 10.00 online vz. 30 at BB

below herbs mentionsopening a pc

very easy 2 screws the cover comes off that's it a demo if needed
Old Sep 17, 2007, 4:32 PM   #6

Kevin_0089 wrote:
Quote:
rgvcam wrote:
Quote:
Kevin_0089 wrote:
Quote:
Hey rgvcam. Where could I buy a firewire card? Is Best Buy an option? If so, could you post a link to the product here? Thanks for the help!
Even if you do buy a pci firewire card are you going to be comfortable opening your pc to install it? If you are then any pc shop should sell them, I wouldn't pay more than $25 for one (im in the uk and wouldn't pay more than £10-15 for one).
If you have never installed a card in you pc before its a daunting prospect but in all honesty its really really simple. I'm assuming you are talking about a normal pc not a laptop, if you have a laptop its even easier as you do not have to open the case.
herbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2007, 4:41 PM   #7

http://media.putfile.com/pc-82

opening a pc is simple
Old Sep 18, 2007, 8:06 AM   #8

Kevin_0089 wrote:
Quote:
been seeing that they all hook up to the computer to transfer video via Firewire. Most of these camcorders have USB ports, but theyre used for just transferring pics.
Okay, here is the deal. The USB port on the camcorders is typically for transferring whatever happens to be on the memory card. Many newer model camcorders can actually store video directly to the memory card, just like our hybrids do. However, the quality is often inferior and meant for "web" usage.

As for the video stored on the Mini-DV tape, that is a different issue. The video files are huge in comparison to MPEG4 video and require a lot of bandwidth to play. At the time USB and firewire came out, USB was far too slow to playback this kind of video in realtime, so the video standard was defined for firewire. True, USB 2.0 could probably handle it fine, but nobody has felt like creating a new standard for it, when everybody is already using firewire.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 10:05 AM   #9

Quote:

Bestbuy is a bit pricey for these kind of items. Goto newegg.com. They have a whole bunch, many well under $10 and these will just be fine for most purposes. I bought a cheap USB 2.0 PCI card for my ancient HP Pavilion PC a good while back.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 19, 2007, 1:07 PM   #10

2 people say the same enjoy