Steve's Digicams Forums

Steve's Digicams Forums (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/)
-   Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hybrid-still-movie-mp3-digicams-85/)
-   -   Anyone heard of the Samsung SC-MX10 (https://forums.steves-digicams.com/hybrid-still-movie-mp3-digicams/129636-anyone-heard-samsung-sc-mx10.html)

Beligerent Sep 23, 2007 9:51 PM

I guess Samsung has a new SD card based Camcorder called the SC-MX10. It's $299 and records in 16:9 standard definition. I am looking for info on this camera. Circuit City just received it but wont put it on display until a second one arrives. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

-Norm

T4R06 Sep 25, 2007 10:35 PM

i can answer this.. its not an hybrid. a pure camcorder, i bought before i pushed through vpc-hd2.
just as only 2days using it. stabilization is very good. battery life is awesome.
but....

video taken are dissapointing!

adric22 Sep 26, 2007 10:43 AM

It takes still pictures, it takes movies. Looks like a hybrid to me. Of course that brings us back to the age old question of what defines a hybrid. Granted, the still image capability is 1.5 MP, but that would be fine with me. That means the CCD pixels are larger and probably has better low-light performance. 1.5 MP is just barely good enough for doing a still picture to be printed as a photograph. You may still be able to see some jagged edges on some objects at that resolution.

yuckydog Sep 26, 2007 11:12 PM

T4R06 wrote:
Quote:

i can answer this.. its not an hybrid. a pure camcorder, i bought before i pushed through vpc-hd2.
just as only 2days using it. stabilization is very good. battery life is awesome.
but....

video taken are dissapointing!
I saw this camcorder online last Wed (Circuit City) and stopped by the store on Thu. The salesperson was surprised that I was asking about it since they just got them in and hadn't even opened one for display. He opened it up and it looked really nice.

When you say that the video was disappointing, how would you specify that? Compared to a miniDV or miniDVD camcorder (non-HD) would you say it was comparable? I want to use it for home movies and don't need anything fancy but the instant startup, long battery life and direct to iMovie are big draws for me.

I ended up getting it for $220 (using a $40 off $199 Circuit City coupon) and there was a deal last week where you got a $39.99 camera bag/tripod kit for free with any camcorder purchase. I feel that that was a great price and would like to keep it but I'm hesitant to open it until I see more reviews! (Or any reviews at all...)

James

Beligerent Sep 26, 2007 11:19 PM

Hey James, Please, if and when you open it, let me know how well it works with iMovie. I would be very interested in some sample footage if you decide to keep it.

-Norm

yuckydog Oct 1, 2007 6:44 PM

Well, I took the plunge and opened the box (ripping the warning label about a restocking fee, lol) and charged it up. Took some sample videos both indoor and outdoor and was pleasantly surprised at the video quality. The only complaint I would have would be the pixelation that occurred in the outdoor footage where grass that was shaded by the neighbor's house seemed to get fuzzy/blurry and I believe that's due to the MPEG4 compression algorithms? All in all, it powers on fast, is ready to record almost instantly and battery life is amazine. On super fine quality at the highest resolution, the screen indicates that I can record about 180 minutes on the included 512MB SD card.

Now, unfortunately, the wife's MacBook does not recognize the SD card or the camera when plugged directly into the USB port. I will try some experiments this weekend where I download the video from my Windoze machine, burn it to a CDR (or copy to a thumbdrive) and copy it over to the Mac to see if I can edit it in iMovie or iDVD. I will post an update as well as sample files at that time!

James

adric22 Oct 1, 2007 10:43 PM

yuckydog wrote:
Quote:

ready to record almost instantly and battery life is amazine. On super fine quality at the highest resolution, the screen indicates that I can record about 180 minutes on the included 512MB SD card.

Now, unfortunately, the wife's MacBook does not recognize the SD card or the camera when plugged directly into the USB port. I will try some experiments this
I find it highly unlikely that it could record 3 hours straight at the highest quality setting on a 512 MB card. If it does, it has the best compression in the world, or the resolution and quality is very low. (Lets hope the camera is just wrong on the estimated time left)

As for detection on your Mac. This is surprising. It is possible the camera is in the wrong mode. Many of these hybrids will also operate as a webcam. Often there is a menu setting to determine the behavior on the USB port. One setting for webcam and the other for USB storage. Unfortunatly, most of the webcams do not have drivers available for any platform except for Windows. However, I have tried many of these on a Mac and they always work. Even my cheap little $19 vistaquest camera (which supports USB Storage) worked on a Mac when I tried it.

T4R06 Oct 2, 2007 12:53 PM

thats what im talkin about. fuzzy/blurry images which i ended return it. yes i have macbook also and it did not detect the mx10. quite strange...

grunasal Oct 3, 2007 2:29 PM

Yuckydog:

So what do you think so far? How is the video? Does it really have 32x optical zoom?

Also, does it shoot in 16:9 mode?

I'm thinking about buying the Samsung SC-MX10 too, but I would really like to see some video.

Is there a way you can post up to 20 seconds of video at the highest quality? I want to see what it looks like.

Finally, where did you get that Circuit City coupon?

Thanks, grunasal

yuckydog Oct 8, 2007 10:21 PM

OK, I did some messing around and digging with my SC-MX10 and MacBook and here is what I've found:

1. The Samsung MPEG-4 cameras use the SEDG codec. Hooking up the SC-MX10 via USB cable mounts the camera as a drive and the film clips can be copied.
2. In order to edit/view the clips on a Mac, you must:
a. Use avi2divx.jar to "convert" the files or
b. Install software from www.3ivx.com.

After that, you can use QuickTime or iMovie or iDVD or whatever to view, edit, compile, record, burn, etc! (I prefer the avi2divx.jar method since that's free.)

I've got some clips I don't mind sharing if anyone wants to host them. They are about 5-15MB in size. I have clips from partially sunny outdoor shots, shady outdoor shots, normal lighting indoor shots and an indoor 16:9 shot (of some drinking cups) so you can see various environments.

I really like this camera!

Pros:
Great battery life
Can use cheap SD cards
Instant recording/Instant On

Cons:
Shady/dark areas are pixelated
Mac support isn't perfect (or even existant!)