Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:49 AM   #1

I would like to start this thread about HDMI port video capture, and ask people to list hybrid cameras that they can confirm have uncompressed HDMI or component video output. This thread will be more interesting to the enthusiast that wants higher quality.

What is HDMI capture:

HDMI is an digital version of component. HDMI maybe uncompressed live, and offer an much better picture quality then the recorded picture. But also it might not be.

HDMI uncompressed can be captured and recorded in an better format. The most popular at the moment in the Intensity HDMI capture solutions, which can also capture component from my understanding. As I understand it, there maybe also coming, an hardware solution based on the cineform compression codec. I also hope an better H264 intra solution also turns up.

Intensity Pro capture card solution can capture most formats, limited up to 10bit and 4:2:2 (eventually). An lot of cameras only do 8bit 4:2:0 apparently.

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Among some professionals, an popular add on codec for the Intensity cards is the cineform visually lossless codec. This codec is one of the best on the market.

http://www.cineform.com/

Over at dvinfo.net there has been much experimenting with Intensity capture, and making portable computer solutions. Even though this is so, I hope that some day somebody comes out with an hard drive caddy sized solution that skips the need for the computer, and is much more portable. But having said that, enthusiast cinema video people are willing to lug an small computer around with them to have the extra quality.
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2007, 10:52 AM   #2

So, has anybody got any cameras to list?
Wayne12 is offline   Reply With Quote