Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 3, 2007, 6:45 PM   #21

T4R06 wrote:
Quote:
sorry for the confusion.. im talking about the GO-HD. i dont know about A-HD

its really a big headache when im using the GO-HD
no stabilization
wobbling images
awful sound
noise when focusing

these are really a big factor for a camcorder. i dont know about the A-HD
If these are a big factor then buy a more expensive camcorder. You could look into the Sanyo Xacti modules. Then there is the Canon HV10 for a small HDV camcorder. I don't think we'll ever see some of these features on very low end cameras. They are meant to be very inexpensive "fun" devices. I am waiting to see what Canon does about their 24fps support on the coming models or if Sony (or Panasonic) responds by offering 24fps in a consumer model. Currently the Canon HV20 has some 24fps import problems.

And if you really want stability you could get the new Sony at $1900 MSRP which is news camera size shoulder mounted. Probably targeted at the new V-JAY market which one of the local SF stations even uses for their newscasts. :-)

BTW, a few months back I was shooting an event and one of the local stations that does HD news had a cameraman set up next to me. He was using a Panasonic 16:9 SD Betacam. I asked him when they would be using HD cameras in the field and he told me in about a year but said the cameras would be bigger and heavier. He pointed to my Sony HC1 and said, "I don't know why they can't make them smaller like that. It's just electronics." On a video editing group list another news cameraman said there are a lot of injuries from lugging the big cameras around. I'm always reminded of the scenes in the new BattleStar Gallactica where the news people have Aiptek sized cameras. :-)

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 8:43 PM   #22

@hd - you have a point there

i am really proud now on my HD2. big step-up on GO-HD
few more days and the HD1000 is going to be born...
T4R06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:11 PM   #23

T4R06 wrote:
Quote:
A-hd - you have a point there

i am really proud now on my HD2. big step-up on GO-HD
few more days and the HD1000 is going to be born...
T4. Between the lesser quality, or lesser cost products, what are the highlights of the better quality, or step up? of the other camcorder you like?

I would love to hear what sold you on this, and why, if any reason tha havecaused to get a refund in any on the opther brand? e love to hear thanks Fishy?

Also what are the Format on the better brand? and Congrads on the move up big time
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:22 PM   #24

well i can say HD2 is far better than GO-HD

but of course almost double the price? mine i bought it for 409.99 with lots of accesories bundled plus the HDMI cable.

MPEG-4 H263 vs H264?much convenient to edit?

stabilizationvs. none

still pictures.. oh man, HD2way to go!

battery life? 85mins vs 60mins

image captures? almost the same but the HD2 dont have wobbling like dancing images and itrocks on low light.

and lastly, the zooooooooom!it is nice

again, just myOWN thoughts/opinions between the 2hybrids..

edit: im so sorry if i brought up this camera model that too far on thesubject on thread.i am not pro sanyo or even not a sanyo employee. also once i hadaiptek and i must say for the price, nobody can beat aiptekhybrid camcorders..

Old Oct 4, 2007, 3:36 AM   #25

I want you to Bring it up, and expsress your thoughts to us in detail ?

that is why when one person is happy and made that choice on their own; Due to :

Support,

Quality'

Design,

a promised camera with not a headache.........

you be amazed?

when recieved post back and tel us what you like best, and what you do not like, and were you upset if you made the right, or wrong choice
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 11:57 AM   #26

when it comes to support:

when i still have the GO-HD i emailed their support
i got an answer 2 days later. and the support is not really helpful

my question is regarding firmware, i told him i got the 1.4 now installed.

he answered "where did you get the 1.4 firmware?" i told him, some forums..
then replied i dont have any idea for the next firmware!

sanyo support.
i emailed them regarding accesories and where to buy.
just a few mins, somebody called me and they give me the address, tel # and a websites for the official distributor of sanyo.

when it comes to build:
again this is about the price i think that is why aiptek is cheaper.
i hate the plastic cheap looking on GO-HD. i hope the next build is much solid than the new ones today GO-HD/A-HD

DESIGN:
i think GO-HD/A-HD is not far away to the other much higher price hybrids

its just the inside of the cam. i hope aiptek engineers will learn from the flaws of GO-HD
Old Oct 4, 2007, 1:00 PM   #27

Quote:
its just the inside of the cam. i hope aiptek engineers will learn from the flaws of GO-HD
I doubt it. Companies like Aiptek work on an entirely different business model than high-end electronics companies. Lets examine the difference:

1) High end companies (Sony, Canon, etc.) Try to design a product that is built well. They want to provide good service, and a good product. They want the product to get good reviews, and people will pay extra money to get their product because they will know it is the best. Generally, they don't sell refurbished products because it would detract from sales of their new products.

2) Low end companies (Aiptek, etc.) try to design something as cheaply as possible and dress it up to be something its not. They are counting on "impulse buys" where people see a product, and buy it without researching it. They know that 50% or more of the product will be returned by customers that were unsatisfied with the product. That is okay, because their profit margin will be good enough to handle it. They setup their website to sell all of the returned products as "refurbs" knowing that they won't interfere with the selling of new products. And you can bet that 90% of the "refurbs" they sell on their website were never broken or repaired. They were probably just as I said, returns from unhappy customers.

So, Aiptek's engineering goals area little different from that of a high-end manufacturer. So they aren't likely to be concerned with improvements that don't directly affect the ability to sell the product as an impulse buy.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 2:25 PM   #28

More likely the way that Aiptek works is that Ambarella probably came by and did a "dog and pony show" on the A1 chipset since they would be in Ambarella's target market for that product. Aiptek signed on, got a developer's kit, built prototypes with the goal of keeping the product as cheap as possible (like you say for an "impulse buy"). They also arrange for mass purchases of a CMOS, audio sensor, LCD, etc. And they are probably already working on another version if not even a 1080p version for next year.

Sony, Canon, ect. rely much more on their own in-house techology. Aiptek and their "competitors" (I say that in quotes because I think that some other products may be built by Aiptek and rebranded) are just trying to keep one step ahead of the big boys jumping into this market.

If you've ever been to CES there is a whole interesting area of small companies, often Asian, mainly put together by engineers that have created interesting little products that may never see the light of day. Some are just a little ahead of their time.
hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote