Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Sep 30, 2007, 7:39 PM   #1

In case you all didn't know, Circuit City currently has these on sale for $139!! I picked one up today. Video quality is decent enough but sound is absolutely terrible. Its so bad and distorted that the camera is unusable. I can't even speak softly without it being one big distorted blur of sound. Is this a bug in the camera? Is there some sort of audio level setting? This was the last one they had in the store so i'd hate to return it but its really really bad. Thanks!!
Schafeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 30, 2007, 10:16 PM   #2

That sounds faulty to me. I have also noticed that whenever I go to Circuitcity they only ever seem to have one package out on the rack which makes me think they don't stock many of these at a time anyway.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 3:25 AM   #3

As a owner:

1 here is the A-Hd download: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KORBN2UZ

Do the same Upload us a sample and I'll view it to decide if it is defective that is the best ican do?

I noticed a way low sound as well. cars driving by are no longer annoying, while a fire truck toots their horn and crisp tot he punch?

http://www.megavideo.com/?v=YE8B89YF

these two clips will tell you if your camcorder is in comparison?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:46 AM   #4

When I get home from work i'll post up a clip. Hopefully it is just a defective camcorder since I can live with the video quality.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 11:46 AM   #5

In another thread here I posted some pictures of the audio waveforms from A-HD clips including Fishy's fireworks clip which showed that audio was clipping which is distortion. I don't know if this is a faulty AGC setting by the programmers or too cheap an audio sensor which also doubles as a speaker. I seem to recall in my perusal of the firmware for the GO HD that there were messages indicating that the software has some AGC (Automatic Gain Control) code. In many cases this distortion won't get in the way but it should be fixed even if it causes Aiptek to raise the price a little if the cause is too cheap an audio sensor. In the electronics biz you don't want retailers mad at you due to returns.

My local Circuit City where I bought my A-HD told me they got two of them which I suspect may be the case at many of their stores.
hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 12:06 PM   #6

Well lets us wait for the response if your vid is an issue?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:05 PM   #7

Well I just decided to exchange the camera anyways. Got a brand new one and its just as bad! I was recording someone playing the piano and its just pure distortion and clipping. You literally have to be wispering on camera for it to sound halfway decent. I guess this is going back for a refund and i'll save up for the Sanyo HD7 that's coming out.
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:16 PM   #8

The two GO-HD units I purchased had audio problems of a different sort ie a constant background nice which could be heard in situations of low background noise. Now it seems the A-HD has audio issues of a different nature. This is why I held of getting the A-HD from Circuity city even though it's a great price.

Of course the HD700 is 4 times the price so you will have some saving to do :lol:

Unless you really need HD, I would take a look at the CG6/65 models.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:31 AM   #9

Guess you failed to load a sample?

this will not help others out?

Defect, mic, firmware or room? well lets close this out without arguements? and wish you the best of luck with a Sanyo?

:arrow:
Old Oct 2, 2007, 8:25 AM   #10

OK.. not sure what good it will do but I will post up a sample later today before I retun the camera.