Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:10 AM   #11

I have never heard of this model. Even looking on www.aiptek.de I can't seem to locate that one. THe link you provided just asks me to login. It looks like Aiptek has more products in Germany than here in the USA.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:21 AM   #12

I updated link, it is in aiptek.de if you look carefully. This model is released in september. One problem with this model might be microphone, it could be too near to hand grip, I guess I have to try it to know for sure.
Alan Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:25 AM   #13
ESM

After thinking about this some more, I've decided I prefer to choose a camera that does NOT record to .MOV format. Part of the decision to get a camera like this is for it to be quick and easy to get it online. Having to do a .MOV conversion to a format that can natively play in Windows Media Player goes against that approach.

What file format do the Sanyo cameras record to? What is battery life like on them?

PS - Anyone know anything about theKlegg hybrid's? A friend was incorrectly shipped the V1803 model, their best/newest model (released Aug 07 I believe).

http://www.kleggusa.com/product_v1803.html

$155-185 price.

It only does 640x480 as opposed to 1024x768, but it records to AVI. I'm going to try and let him test it out.
ESM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:27 AM   #14

Sanoys are recording to mov format
Alan Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 12:42 PM   #15

ESM wrote:
Quote:
After thinking about this some more, I've decided I prefer to choose a camera that does NOT record to .MOV format. Part of the decision to get a camera like this is for it to be quick and easy to get it online. Having to do a .MOV conversion to a format that can natively play in Windows Media Player goes against that approach.

What file format do the Sanyo cameras record to? What is battery life like on them?
The Sanyos are worse in this regard as they record to the .MP4 container. However, you may want to do a little research on this matter because you might find it surprising. You may already know this, but just to clarify... The file extensions of .MOV .AVI .ASF .MP4 are just what we call "containers" they have very little to do with the actual codec being used. It is possible to do a "stream copy" between containers. So you can take a .MOV that contains an MPEG4 datastream and convert it to the .AVI container if you like and there will be no recompression, no loss of quality, and it usually only takes seconds. The problem most people run into is with the actual codec being used, as far as being able to play it back or recompress it. Most hybrids are using some variant of MPEG4.

If you just want it online, I wouldn't worry too much. Places like Youtube will accept just about any format you can throw at them.

Oh.. and I should mention, that it will be very hard to find anything that does an .AVI unless it is doing MotionJPEG. The problem is that the H.264 format used by a lot of the new stuff is incompatible with the .AVI container. I can't remember exactly why that is, I'd have to go look it up. So that pretty much leaves you with .ASF .MOV or .MP4.

So to summarize.. it might be better to learn to convert them. Try a program called SUPER. It isn't super user friendly (pun intended) but once you learn to use it, you can stream copy just about anything. It is very fast.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 12:50 PM   #16

digilike, SVp model that Klegg loos like with a panny chip f thats pannasonic? or hmmm?

maybe oneday someone will do a tutorial on converting .mov to no loss quality?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 1:28 PM   #17
ESM

Hmm.. If you can do a streamedcopy from .MOV to .AVi without re-compressing, that isn't so bad. I've user SuperC before, but never to to a stream copy, will SuperC do that, or is there something else out there you recommend?

Most people these days already have a codec that will play MPEG4 in Windows Media Player. The issue with a .MOV is that only Quicktime recognizes it, so it has to be changed to a different container format.
ESM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:19 PM   #18

well since uo're talking a diferent camera Aiptek (fade away from) gives a win media player. causing quicktime files to have wmp icons.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:55 PM   #19

The Sanyo's do look good. My Walmart near me has the CG6 on display, but I can't use it. I would take a SD chip to get a clip, then take it home to see how it runs. I want one for an indy film my friend and I are making. We might get another camcorder, but if we don't then need other options. We can record sound externally and then add that in for better sound.

The CG6 is liked, but the 640x480 SD is good, but widescreen would be nice. BUT if it is great quality, then I guess can't complain. The movie we will be shooting needs to be clear/clean enough to be put on dvd. I am looking at hybrids as a good option.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:05 PM   #20

sandmanfvr wrote:
Quote:
I would take a SD chip to get a clip, then take it home to see how it runs. I want one for an indy film my friend and I are making. .
I'd be happy to email you an unmodified clip from my CG6. That way you can see the real quality and also see if you can manipulate the files properly. Just give me your email address. Also, you can watch my review on youtube, although it doesn't do the quality justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnwLDeYSb_8