Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 3, 2007, 5:17 PM   #21

Pm the Email so others do notgrab it for your protection?

1 Stand clear of the Aiptek lower end models, they will not do you justace.

2 Recommendations on Aipteks, I am in a fading zone with them? A-Hd, GO-Hd are 720P quality .mov format going on a more professional level the sanyos the way to go? cannot afford and need to live out of a cardboard box the Aiptek

sorry but do some research and we love to hear what your decision is?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 5:23 PM   #22
ESM

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
I'd be happy to email you an unmodified clip from my CG6. That way you can see the real quality and also see if you can manipulate the files properly. Just give me your email address. Also, you can watch my review on youtube, although it doesn't do the quality justice.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnwLDeYSb_8
I just watched the review. I'm very impressed overall with the quality. Definitly going to look more into the CG6 or other Sanyo variants like it. $218 from that eBay link is right in the price range I was looking at.

Would you be able to e-mail me, or provide a place to download the 4 different clips of the lake in your review? I'd like to compare all 4 mode side-by-side to get a true representation. Do you have any extreme low-light samples? Ex: indoors, at night, in a room around 10x12 (average bedroom) with just a single night-stand light on? Or something similar to this?

PM me place your addy in the pm thanz
You also mentioned that you recorded you belt test video for 1 hr 5 min and it was roughly a 1 gig file. What qualitywas that shot in?

ESM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 5:35 PM   #23

ESM there,there?

never upstet just as mention a pm gets you the safest route enjoy :G
Old Oct 3, 2007, 10:58 PM   #24

I saw your review on youtube before, nice. I wanted to see the full review in good video not a youtube quality one, but never found it. The CG6 looks nice. The hd onens are ok, but kind of "high" and the soft images etc make them not worth it now.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2007, 11:01 PM   #25
ESM

After reviewing clips from adric22, I think I have decided to get the Sanyp CG65.

Everything I read indicated the CG65 is 100% identical to the CG6, except it uses MPEG4 AvC (same as H.264) instead of MPEG4 (ASP).

MPEG4 AVC offerssmaller file sizes over regular MPEG4 and a higher overall quality. I'm not sure how big of a difference we are talking, but I'd rather go with the "newer" revision.

I've found the CG65 for $262 on eBay from the same seller adric22 linked for the CG6. This pushes the price range I was originally going for of aorund $200. However, I am very impressed by the quality of video from adric22's CG6, I think it will be worth the extra bucks.

The only downside to going this route is no 720p like I could get in the Aiptek's, but I'd rather sacrifice a bump in resolution to have a better overall quality package. 640x480 will be more then adequate for my intended uses, and I never expected to see this kind of quality for something so inexpensive!
Old Oct 4, 2007, 4:29 AM   #26

ESM wrote:
Quote:
After reviewing clips from adric22, I think I have decided to get the Sanyp CG65.

will be worth the extra bucks.

The only downside to going this route is no 720p ,kind of quality for something so inexpensive!

Today, your Hard Earned cash should go to the right area of choice? You have worked for it, and there are companies of etc thatwill do anyhing to get that $$$? For an O.T. (off topic) info'

The Bridges are going to be repiared by the states funds, and the states turn around and we the people not of an Company, etc will be paying 45% higher tolls, to cover that 36 bliilion dollars.

A Company that cuts out the inspections, Protection, and features and functions to sacrafrice for 720P Sanyo Model is the right choice?

Just Ask yourself if you're going to Update in thenear future, if you are then sit down and Figure out if the 720P of Sanyo is worth it?

Not looking at any spec, but memory, nore naming brands?

optical zoom software manual settings SOLD
Old Oct 4, 2007, 6:19 AM   #27

adric22 wrote:
Quote:
ESM wrote:
Quote:
After thinking about this some more, I've decided I prefer to choose a camera that does NOT record to .MOV format. Part of the decision to get a camera like this is for it to be quick and easy to get it online. Having to do a .MOV conversion to a format that can natively play in Windows Media Player goes against that approach.

What file format do the Sanyo cameras record to? What is battery life like on them?
The Sanyos are worse in this regard as they record to the .MP4 container. However, you may want to do a little research on this matter because you might find it surprising. You may already know this, but just to clarify... The file extensions of .MOV .AVI .ASF .MP4 are just what we call "containers" they have very little to do with the actual codec being used. It is possible to do a "stream copy" between containers. So you can take a .MOV that contains an MPEG4 datastream and convert it to the .AVI container if you like and there will be no recompression, no loss of quality, and it usually only takes seconds. The problem most people run into is with the actual codec being used, as far as being able to play it back or recompress it. Most hybrids are using some variant of MPEG4.

If you just want it online, I wouldn't worry too much. Places like Youtube will accept just about any format you can throw at them.

Oh.. and I should mention, that it will be very hard to find anything that does an .AVI unless it is doing MotionJPEG. The problem is that the H.264 format used by a lot of the new stuff is incompatible with the .AVI container. I can't remember exactly why that is, I'd have to go look it up. So that pretty much leaves you with .ASF .MOV or .MP4.

So to summarize.. it might be better to learn to convert them. Try a program called SUPER. It isn't super user friendly (pun intended) but once you learn to use it, you can stream copy just about anything. It is very fast.
Casio Exilim S770 is recording MPEG4 H.264 to AVI, I had that camera once, then returned it to store becouse it has 10 minute limit in EU, I don't want any limits in video. I am going to record about 40-50 minute clips and don't want to mess with editing, just watching. With Aiptek DV5700 I could have one 50 minute clip and still able to take pictures and small clips, no need to change memory card all the time. Sanyo is other good choice but I don't like design so much and price is a bit too high, I like horizontal standard camcorder models, you can steady your hand to chest like with real camcorders. I hope aiptek could do horizontal camcorder models with HD features also, then I have consider buying new HD camera, tough I don't like mov or mp4 format becouse it needs converting in windows. I figure that H100 has even less SD card swapping, becouse it has two slots.
Alan Wake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:03 AM   #28
ESM

Alan Wake wrote:
Quote:
Casio Exilim S770 is recording MPEG4 H.264 to AVI, I had that camera once, then returned it to store becouse it has 10 minute limit in EU, I don't want any limits in video. I am going to record about 40-50 minute clips and don't want to mess with editing, just watching. With Aiptek DV5700 I could have one 50 minute clip and still able to take pictures and small clips, no need to change memory card all the time. Sanyo is other good choice but I don't like design so much and price is a bit too high, I like horizontal standard camcorder models, you can steady your hand to chest like with real camcorders. I hope aiptek could do horizontal camcorder models with HD features also, then I have consider buying new HD camera, tough I don't like mov or mp4 format becouse it needs converting in windows. I figure that H100 has even less SD card swapping, becouse it has two slots.
The Exilim S770 is a digital camera, not a hybrid. I do believe pretty much ALL digital cameras restrict their video mode to a certain length of time, this it not the case with the hybrids being discussed here.
Old Oct 4, 2007, 10:28 AM   #29

Quote:
The Exilim S770 is a digital camera, not a hybrid. I do believe pretty much ALL digital cameras restrict their video mode to a certain length of time, this it not the case with the hybrids being discussed here.
I'm pretty sure my Fuji Finepix Z1 had no length restriction on video. However, since it recorded in MJPEG, I couldn't fit more than 15 minutes on a 1GB card. Which is sad because I can fit 4 times that much with my Sanyo and the quality on the Sanyo is actually somewhat better. The other sad thing is that the Fuji uses XD memory which costs a fortune. So when you compare the cost of recording times between the two it is like this:

Sanyo (or other MPEG4 on SD card) = about $15 for an hour of recording

Fuji Z1 = About $80 for an hour of recording.

Pretty sad huh? So even though my Fuji took decent looking videos, it was obvious that once I started wanting to record more movies, the Sanyo will pay for itself just from the fact that it uses SD memory and the MPEG4.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 4, 2007, 2:41 PM   #30

adric22, thanks for the samples. On the 640x480 30fps of the CG6, how does that look on a tv? I played that clip, full screen on my 20 inch monitor here at work, ok, but the 720p of the A-HD was nicer of course.
sandmanfvr is offline   Reply With Quote