Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 1, 2007, 7:17 PM   #1
ESM

Hello all. I'm looking to pickup a hybrid camera to supplement my Canon HV20. The HV20 is an awesome camera but it's very time consuming to take video, bring it into the computer, and convert it to "youtube" quality. It's also expensive, and not something I carry with me all the time.

I'm looking for a Hybrid in the $200 or under range. Because I have an HV20, I'm not looking to get supreme quality, which is why I'm looking in this inexpensive range.

I'd like something that is fairly durable and I can carry around all the time, keep in the car, etc. I don't want something I have to baby.

I'd like as good as quality as possible. Great low light performance would be ideal, but I understand this is usually a sore spot, so I can settle on this.

I'd like something that it easy to get into the computer and get into a small enough format to be "youtube" friendly or something I can throw on my website and have people down. I'd like to shoot small clips of my baby (10sec to minute on average) and not have this massive file for friends/family to download.

Still picture quality is not a major concern. I'll take whatever the camera has. Video quality is more important.

The Aiptek GO-HD or A-HD seem to be on the tops of the list. Do I want to go with one of this? I see they record .MOV, which is not ideal. However, I can do conversions to have a WMP friendly format.
ESM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2007, 7:31 PM   #2

ESM Welcome aboard;

you basically answered your own questions?

1 the A-Hd ! 140.00 2 th GO @ 200.00 and hours ticking ( no pressure) (trust me)

A-Hd or GO are the same camera in a way 720P format .mov and I know exactly the fealing, Mac user, friendly not me I am a windows user. So all the filming and converting thrown away in quality?

You said Youtube so quailty is not an issue then? the A-Hd claimes to be Imove hd , and Youtube ? nope just a lower resolution to get it on your pc to the site?

Look at the newest Model the Sony, they claime Youtube loading but the quality hmm to be seen , hope some one got one to show us "THE SONY NETSHARE CAMCORDER"

A few members and I may tell you, and start to point you towards

The Sanyo xacti series spend the 200.00 and get that you be happy

1. a-hd low lux is good sound is good but low

2 GO-Hd lower lux is better sound is good but loud

sound on both are not the best, never get a perfect model

hope I did not confuse ya?

locate the reviews here plenty of samples to choose
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 8:04 PM   #3
ESM

"youtube" is a little misleading. I'm not so much referring to it in terms of youtube quality, but as in a smaller sized video file that is easy for friends and family to quickly access. If a 30 second video clips is 100 megs, that's not friendly. But if it's 10 or 20 megs, that's friendly. I'd like to be able to shoot some small clips and get them online quickly, but it doesn't have to be uploaded to Youtube either. I can put a file on my website and have people download that.

Smaller size isobviously going to effect the overall picture quality and I realize that. Conversion is going to effect quality as well. But I'm not sure if that means I should get something that records straight to a PC friendly format.

The Sanyo's are pretty expensive, $500 plus, so that's well out of the range I am looking for. I'll use my Canon HV20 if I want that kind of quality.

Is the A-HD and GO-HD my best overall bet? I can't really determine which is better of those two. Are there other brands in this price range that compete with either of them?
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:39 PM   #4

ESM wrote:
Quote:
The Sanyo's are pretty expensive, $500 plus, so that's well out of the range I am looking for. I'll use my Canon HV20 if I want that kind of quality.
Hahaha.. This is the first time somebody asked this question and I don't have a good answer. I don't think there are any cameras in the $200 range. You have the Aiptek A-HD at around $169, then I think the next step up would be a Sanyo Xacti at $299.

Hmm.. what a dilemma. Best advice I can say is something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Sanyo-Xacti-...7487QQihZ001QQ

It is around the price range.. there are others on ebay, might be a bit lower than that price. That was the first one I saw.

But maybe we are overlooking the obvious. Maybe a hybrid isn't for you. If you just want short clips to upload to youtube (or the like) maybe just a plain digitial camera with video clip capability would suffice. Almost any camera in the $150 range will take very good video, but it will probably be in MJPEG format, which is not good for long recording times.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:40 PM   #5

One of the Samsung Minikets with the smaller sensor should do fine. The smaller sensor is just fine for the low resolution of video, and you're not concerned with still photo resolution. You should be able to get a new or used one off eBay within your price level.

On the other hand, you could try the video mode on digital still cameras. They all do that these days, but the performance and specs vary widely. That would give you an idea of the quality/file size relationship, and you might find that such a camera would do what you want anyway. Just look for one that uses MPEG4 in the video mode, to keep the file sizes small.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2007, 9:52 PM   #6
ESM

$200'ish my ideal maximum, so something under that is also good.

Is there anything from Sanyo in that $299 price range has video greater then 640x480, or does that mean the $500 plus range? Are the lower res Sanyo units in the $200-300 range better quality then the Aiptek's?

My wife has a Canon SD1000 and shoots a bunch of short video's on it and they come out to AVI. It'smotion JPEG and at highest quality of [email protected],it averages 1.5-1.7 megs per second (100 meg per minute). Quality is pretty good IMO. I assume MPEG4 videos would be much smaller?
Old Oct 2, 2007, 3:45 AM   #7

Aiptek, I find them t be A ECONOMY HYBRIDS.

wefilm in CIF 320x240, or 353x240 or 280? your quality will suffer?

radioshack, amazon, ebay, and online stores.

Sanyo xacti c40 199

sanyo cp-5 clcik me

http://www.shopcartusa.com/P_Sanyo_X.../?ic_campID=98

the above link, keep lookingyou'll get lower prices?
Old Oct 2, 2007, 8:17 AM   #8

ESM wrote:
Quote:
Is there anything from Sanyo in that $299 price range has video greater then 640x480, or does that mean the $500 plus range? Are the lower res Sanyo units in the $200-300 range better quality then the Aiptek's?
This is widely debateable. The way I see it, any Sanyo camera (even the older ones like teh C40 or C1) will EASILY beat out the video performance on any Aiptek camera except for maybe the Aiptek A-HD and Go HD (the Go-HD being out of your price range anyway) Fishycomics loves his A-HD. I'd like to try one out sometime. But from the same clips I've seen, I think I'd still rather go with my Sanyo CG6 for a variety of reasons:
  • Sanyo cameras have a history of being much more reliable than Aipteks or SVP, which are known to have various defects, poor firmware, poor customer support, and are known to just "break" for no reason. I've never heard anyone on this forum say that their Sanyo quit working.[/*]
  • Aiptek still doesn't employ a framebuffer even on their high-definition products, which causes the video to look wavy, cheap, and unprofessional.[/*]
  • Aiptek still has audio problems with all of their products. Either it doesn't sync right, cuts in and out, or is too quiet.[/*]
  • With the exception of the A-HD and G-HD, Aiptek lies about their framerates, saying "up to 30 fps" when in reality you get like 18 fps.Aiptek, and other manufacturers like SVP and Mustekalso lie about their still-image resolution, claiming ridiculous numbers on the megapixels.
[/*]
I actually do like the cheaper cameras, and have several myself. But once you start getting above $150, I have serious reservations about spending that kind of money on Aiptek products.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2007, 1:14 PM   #9

Nicely Put Adric22?

I love the A-HD, and awaiting a GO-Hd?

I can tell you this?

If you are a person on a tight budget, and breaks everything , loses things then I say Aiptek?

Now if you want style and some WOW factors i say Aiptek?

you get the picture?

If you want some serious features and functions go with a professional brand/model not of Aiptek. See how I said Professional , and not sanyo?

Aiptek decided to cut corners and got rid of the MP3, stabilizer, picure frame photo's. and possably the webcam and some other parts? Even though software from the Pc takes care of this, it still cuts corners? What they cannot do correctly are:

1 a LOWER LUX, and AUdio. these two key factors are very important, when a major camera is at 1600,3200 digital and even higher?

I believe a few manual controls would be soon to aiptek but cutting corners , making us a guinea pig I steer clear .

Do not get me wrong I love the Aiptek A-Hd , AV input 720P, but too hard for me to edit .mov without the mac or windowsediting tools?
Old Oct 3, 2007, 7:48 AM   #10

I just ordered Aiptek H100 from my local netstore 159 €, I need camera to replace my good old DV5700 which display is little bit defective becouse my children abused it It has MIC-IN, so if you want good sound you could use external microphone. I don't know is this camera yet available in US, but I guess you can order it from Aiptek store or stores from internet. I let you know is this camera good or not, when I get it.

http://www.aiptek.de/index.php?optio...amp;Itemid=258

Alan Wake is offline   Reply With Quote