Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 8, 2007, 2:31 PM   #1

I would like to purchase my first hybrid for just the occasional video shoot, and pocket sized camera. A local retailer has the DXG 506V for $79.99 and I wondered if this is a good deal?

Any other suggestions for under $100?

Thanks in advance.
simonduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 8, 2007, 3:38 PM   #2

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=92

Welcome Simon:

The DXG506V has tons of featuresand worth the value?

remember indoor lighting will be poor? when you read and view the 305V it is the same but the506V has a better sensor butstill suffers low lighting, that is why I can say it is the same in my review?

insteadof 15 fps you get 30 fps?

also take note it is a Hanshing and other named cameras?

what other model can you get for 100.00 less

a polaroid with less features longer battery life, andone rgvcam mentions, in his post on this page. ?

I would research a lil more before commentment?

fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 4:21 PM   #3

I've seen these at Wal Mart. I have been tempted to try one out. There are three big-selling low end models right now. Target is pushing their polaroid for around $89. Then there is the vistaquest which just came out, that is $79. Then there is the DXG you are talking about. I haven't gotten a chance to see any of these in action. Although, I admit with the A-HD out for $139,I'd be far more tempted to buy one of those. But then again, I couldalmostbuy two fo the other ones for the same price.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2007, 4:27 PM   #4

I wanted to say get the A-HD, but only if you are .mov savy?

I believe 2x dgital 1280x720 over 4x digital 640x480 is almost like optical for a lower res?

that is the model Adrec is mentioning owning hte Polaroid, andremembering it is discontinued as well? 79.99 on sale at last weeks price?
Old Oct 8, 2007, 11:17 PM   #5

I just got a friend to create a simple webpage with some sample videos and photos from the DXG 506v as well as some from the 305v. As you can see, it's certainly as good as any other hybrid in it's price range and better than some.

Here is the link: http://www.yourphotog.net/dxg/

Enjoy.
rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 3:42 AM   #6

Zoltrix is one company 12 megapixal

lec int'l is another 6 meg

These are the all the same ,

Hanshing was the brand that was around in 2000 so you see how old this camcorder is?

should be a real low price if found

Old Oct 9, 2007, 8:02 AM   #7

Yeah, that looks pretty decent. I'd say it is at least as good as the low-end Aiptek products.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 8:41 AM   #8

Thanks for all the input. I have compared this to the Aiptek MPVR+ and although I would love the recording resolution of the Aiptek I was really dissapointed with the reviews pointing out the audio synch problems.

I will do some more research and before long I may be the owner of a new DXG 506V.
simonduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2007, 1:01 PM   #9

the Aud vid issue can be worked with? it is what we like to call editing? you use wmm (movimaker) add a blank .03 sec space and it is fixed?

MPVr+ at what price? you best look at the A-HDd take th step to Hi-def but the mpvr series are only worth today 50-75.00 tops
Old Oct 9, 2007, 8:50 PM   #10

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
the Aud vid issue can be worked with? it is what we like to call editing? you use wmm (movimaker) add a blank .03 sec space and it is fixed?
You have to be realistic, most people are just not going to want to be bothered doing that to every movie. If they shoot a lot of video it would soon become tedious. Working on a series of video clips to create a movie is one thing and time well spent, but working on them just to keep correcting faults is quite another.

It reminded me of the reason why I was put of Canon Digital cameras many years ago and settled on my Minolta. I found (like many others) that the images from Canon digital cameras were too soft and it always looked like they were slightly out of focus. I am one of those who like sharp images.

Now, of course this wasn't actually a fault and apparently this was intentional with Canon, in that the idea was you could apply your own amount of sharpening to them. For professional users who liked manipulating images this made sense, but users who just wanted to snapshot everyday events and life in general and archive them, this would soon become very tedious. It would also be problematic if you just wanted to take them straight to a photo finisher to print out for a friend etc on vacation. Thankfully at least the one hour Kodak machines have basic image enhancement now.

The Canon camera images don't seem to be as soft as they once were, so perhaps they realised this. At least on the Powershot I have at work doesn't seem to be anyway.

rgvcam is offline   Reply With Quote