Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 10, 2007, 8:50 AM   #1

Well thanks to the input, this forum, reviews, samples and price range I made the decission to buy the Aiptek AH-D over the DXG 506v. $139 with a 90 day return policy.

I was just blown away by the difference in video quality and that became a deciding factor. The other decission makers were the battery life (battery included), tripod screw, and video/audio inputs so I can finally get rid of all those VHS-C tapes. (this is only my 2nd vid camera, VHS-C was the first).

Although the .mov format had me concerned my research did turn up this helpful AVS forum thread which may be useful for others also.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...php?p=11815063

Now to have some fun!
simonduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:03 AM   #2

I'd be carefull about converting your VHS-C movies in this manner. Mostly because of my experience with the Aiptek MPVR+ which also has a video input. I haven't messed with the A-HD's input, but it may work the same. Essentially, it only recorded video in about 320x240 even though the resultant file was 720x480 resolution. It totally left out one of the interlaced fields present in NTSC video. Which means you'd probably get a lot better capture using a $10 PCI card with a Conexant 878 chip or something.

As for converting the .MOV format, it seems there are a variety of options. I'm sure that as time goes by this problem will be less and less. That is because the MPEG4 format is quickly becomming the standard for computer video. Everything from pirated movie torrents to digital cameras are using it. Some are in AVI, some ASF, ,some MP4, and others are in MOV. The bottom line is more and more software will start to support it because consumers will demand it. But for now I use SUPER for converting those pesky .MP4 files from my Sanyo CG6.
adric22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 10:56 AM   #3

You know.. I may have to buy one of those A-HD's myself. I've been looking at some of the rawfootage taken with them lately. Although I'll at admit they aren't perfect (that darned framebuffer issue drives me nuts) they image quality is really amazing for a $139 product. However, as I've learned with my other Aiptek products, when the unit is held still with both hands, or on a tripod, the framebuffer issue is not really noticeable. If these thingsprove to be somewhat reliable, Aiptek may have raised the bar onhigh defcameras at alow price.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:39 AM   #4

I agree the image quality is really amazing for a $139 product. If youcome to the conclusion, like I did,that you are buying a limited function Point-N-Shoot HD video recorder the price is amazing. This is exactly what I was in the market for. The camera and audio recorder will probably never be used.

The cameras size and form factorare bestfor hand held point and shoot uses. The occasional tripod use for events, and sports. I am picking up a 4GB SD card tonight so I can test multiple recording situations.

simonduz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2007, 12:43 PM   #5

Well, the thing is.. It is hard for me to justify since I already own a Sany CG6 which is superior in nearly every way except for the actual video resolution. I am leaving for a 2 week trip in Europe in exactly one week from now (I leave on the 17th) and I keep thinking that if I had an HD camera, I'd be able to see a lot more little details when looking back at my trip. For example, I'd be able to read little signs and stuff like that. But I am really broke as we already converted the last amount of extra cash we have over to Euro's so I won't be able to buy one of these until we return anyway.
Old Oct 10, 2007, 1:21 PM   #6

a great Economy hybrid for 140,00

cannot ask for anything more?

AV input is of D1 recording it is best t osample and see what can be converted, befor you go all out?

battery life is excellent .

now for that trip I say go for it fool around with it forget to return it LMAO it is once in a life time trip.

Glad I pointed this out in the other topic? and the Link I posted in avs is helpful. congrads? Jus get used to the hold you be okay
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote