Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 19, 2007, 12:40 PM   #1

If anyone is interested I've posted a mini-review of the Sanyo Xacti HD700 Hybrid in the Sanyo forum. It's a pocket size 1280x720 30fps (720p) HD movie + 7MP digicam true hybrid.

Cheers!
Caelum is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 20, 2007, 1:04 AM   #2

Caelum,
Thanks for the review of this excellent camera. Other than the price and lack of mp3 player, I must say it looks very tempting. I've added it to the Hybrid List.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 2:11 AM   #3

Thanks. Yeah, the camera has an earphonejack and can playback AAC audio files (it has an audio recording / playback function and I think can play background music during slideshows like the CG65), but unfortunately notMP3 files. I've converted someMP3 files toAAC to load on my previous CG65, it works fine, but it's a nuissance. Sanyo hasn't bothered so far to really include general media player funtionality in their Xacti hybrids (except, of course, for it's own media), not sure why,it's almost there,I guessthey just want to concentrate oncamera functionality. And as for price... yeah... hopefully it drops sooner than later. :G
Old Oct 20, 2007, 6:06 AM   #4

As iam noticingon the Hybrid, we're able o use it as a PMP to watch back movies that we can conver to the camera. And we also had the time to walkaroundlistening to Mp3's as well.

Now since We're into High def, All thesefeatures are stopping, even if it is able to have a Av input they're placing these extras on hold.

There may be reason of: piracy, cost, and space?

these are only opinions and non facts that said Enjoy
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 3:40 PM   #5

I don't think this camera is available in the US. I noticed from the clips that Sanyo has rolled their own AVC codec this round (or didn't identify the codec supplier). Their previous 720p cameras just used the MPEG-4 codec which is actually more compatible with many editing programs than the more compressed AVC/h.264 which many companies haven't caught up with or are still working out the software bugs. The files played back out of audio sync just like the Aiptek GO and A-HD clips with MPlayer (minus the frame drop switch). I haven't tried them with the Quicktime player yet but I'll bet they play fine as Apple has caught up. The video plays back slower on MPlayer and the audio finished ahead of time. VLC doesn't yet handle AVC right either. And these files have no B-Frames so they may not be the culprit I thought they were.

The clips were very impressive. In the US they seem to be pushing the 1080p camera now over the 720p. They along with Aiptek have developed the pocket 720p market which will be popular for some time (just think how many bargain minded shoppers bought 720p LCD HD sets so 1080p is useless to them). We can also see how a much better lens lens and microphone helps too.

How long before a GMX, Mustek or Polaroid HD hybrids hit the market?

Fishy, movie companies will probably go nuts if one of these cameras can shoot at 24fps. Too easy to hide in a theater. I think that is what kept 24fps consumer cameras off the market for so long.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2007, 5:42 PM   #6

The Quicktime player drops frames to keep up but is in sync. Interesting it didn't need to do that with A-HD files. Both Sony Movie Studio Platinum 8 and Ulead VideoStudio 11 Plus were able to import and render the files to other formats.

Old Oct 21, 2007, 11:22 AM   #7

hdguy, both the HD700 and HD1000 are available in the US, for example check Amazon. I don't have any playback issues at all, it's all buttery 30fps smooth and audio is in sync; try the latest CoreAVC (i.e. Quicktime alternative) or ffdshow codecs to see if it helps you; I'm surprised the latest version of VLC doesn't work well for you,perhaps your PC is underpowered?
Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:24 PM   #8

cal can you place zip file around 1 minute plus so we can play (minipulate) with it for fun all copyrights to you thank you
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2007, 12:46 PM   #9

Caelum wrote:
Quote:
hdguy, both the HD700 and HD1000 are available in the US, for example check Amazon. I don't have any playback issues at all, it's all buttery 30fps smooth and audio is in sync; try the latest CoreAVC (i.e. Quicktime alternative) or ffdshow codecs to see if it helps you; I'm surprised the latest version of VLC doesn't work well for you,perhaps your PC is underpowered?
I didn't find it on Amazon with a search on Sanyo products. Is it named differently? I dumped CoreAVC because it interferes with using Quicktime in editors. The editing machine is a 3.4 ghz P4 so I wouldn't say it is underpowered. I'll try the clips on my Core Duo 2 laptop though it is technically slower than the editing machine.

Old Oct 21, 2007, 3:34 PM   #10

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
cal can you place zip file around 1 minute plus so we can play (minipulate) with it for fun all copyrights to you thank you
Iuploaded a number of individual samples,over 3 minutestotal, in my mini-review(link at the top).

hdguy, if Igo to Amazon.com and simply type "HD700" in the search box I get many hits.... here is a link to the search results.

Technically slower? There is no way aP4is faster than a Core Duo for video processing! The slowest Core Duo @ 1.8Ghz will be nearly twice as fast at video processing than the fastest P4 EE (Extreme Edition!) @ 3.7Ghz. Pentium 4s were high on clock speed, not on performance. Check the a CPU charts for video editing app performance.