Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Nov 12, 2007, 3:40 PM   #11

using magix takes time, I preferre win movie maker but i can eal with magix if taken my time

fast sample clip 20 secs long taken 10 minutes from start to online.

http://media.putfile.com/magix-fast-clip

trouble with magix for me I cannot see the trans or effects work and I agee with you it is notthe best to do pricelesswork on thisiswhat I got out of just grabbing stuff
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 5:47 PM   #12

ok,

also tryied ulead and sony

ulead is very simple and sucks against magix

sony i'm still trying it but so far, Magix is a lot better than it
the_killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2007, 10:09 PM   #13

Not only does Ulead have an update but so does Sony. I haven't installed the Sony update yet to see what improvements it makes though there is a mention in the release notes that they fixed a problem with MOV files.

I also just got a Toshiba A3 HD-DVD player (lots of holiday sales on HD-DVD players) so have been messing around with making HD-DVDs on regular DVDs. Ulead makes them at 25 mbps default which the player actually chugs on so I'm experimenting with dropping the bit rate. Ulead also defaults to LPCM so changing that to Dolby helps. So far the commercial HD-DVDs I've played all use VC1 compression which I believe is just a variant on WMV. I hope these programs begin to include VC1 or MP4 encoded EVOs (which I think is also part of the standard).

I've experimented with both A-HD and Sony HC1 clips for HD-DVD. A-HD clips get scaled to 1080 in that case. Audio has to be pulled down a bit though for the A-HD clips.

hdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 12:08 AM   #14
gcy

Why is it that when editing a clip, the file size gets BIGGER instead of smaller??

I was using Vegas Pro 8 to edit a 20MB file(shot with the A-HD) and basically edit out 3 second of clip without doing anything else. The file size turn from 20MB to 78MB! And on top of that, the quality seems to get worst. Maybe decompressed a little? Werid.

Also I try it with VideoStuido 11 and its basically the same thing.
gcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2007, 3:20 AM   #15

with magix,

you can choose what codec is used either for video and audio

gcy,

that's the most important thing in the compression, what codec did you used?

with what options ?

Old Nov 14, 2007, 11:55 AM   #16

Gcy, AVC is highly compressed so unless you recompress using an AVC codec with settings like the A-HD then the files are going to be larger. The A-HD is using a bitrate at around 4 mpbs with an AVC codec. Try that setting and see what you get though you will be recompressing artifacts that exist from the original. I usually recompressed the clips to MPEG-2 at around 12 mpbs for playing on my networked player hooked up to my HD set.

Old Nov 14, 2007, 2:02 PM   #17

I forgot to mention that Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum after the patch blew up on the first A-HD MOV file I tried so will copy the error dump and send it to them. They should totally fix QT support.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 5:32 PM   #18

guys, how do you use magix for editing .mov movies?
Old Nov 14, 2007, 6:03 PM   #19

the_killer wrote:
Quote:
guys, how do you use magix for editing .mov movies?
magix is a program conisted up from a number of other programs Sony, pinnical, Ulead are combined into one.

1. your Pc must be of a higher speed machine I am running a hp 1070n 2.4 gig hyper.a home movie photo editing pc, it is today boarderline.

2. .mov more catered to mac users and you must have h264 codec loaded

So with those two magix works well for viewing the movie, converting to windows HD, etc

but once you attempt to try a transition or effect on the magix it is more a guessing game.

I was lucky to get a wonderful transition zoom andfade. perfect, but other stff that i did wasall hit and miss.

it works well for my needs. theSony vegas 8 I bought isuseless unless i convert or change files, and yep

gotto learn the program, on anything you do.................
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2007, 5:26 PM   #20

Fry's has Magix Movie Edit Pro 12 on for $24.99 after rebate.
http://shop4.outpost.com/product/5200807