Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Hybrid Still/Movie/MP3 Digicams

Old Oct 31, 2007, 3:03 PM   #11

The small mic should be sodered and no wire

I wonder myself if a expensive sensor is put on will it improve ?
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 4:40 PM   #12

fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
The small mic should besodered and no wire
did the pictures help at all?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1589546...850608/detail/

It was very re-affirming to hear that your experiences and thoughts were similar. I am guessing it would take me about 1-2 hours to take the A-HD all the way apart. I want to look at the connectors of the sub-motherboard to see the microphone connection. If it is just two sautered pieces, then I dont see why I cant just swap the microphone out with a jack.

Electronically I am guessing it wont be a problem either, since it should be the same conceptually as if I added an extension to the existing microphone.

Any thoughts on how I would find a connector to replace the audio input with a jack?

Since the microphone is already close to the surface, it shouldnt be a problem adding a microphone jack with easy access.

Worst case i could just do some sort of flip cover/velcro type thing on the silver microphone/speaker cover, if I cant find a prettier solution.

s00nertp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 31, 2007, 5:20 PM   #13

thanks bu tnot me I am not tampering this time with the A-HD

I can say they keep to a simple tape and screw design.
fishycomics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2007, 1:15 AM   #14

s00nertp wrote:
Quote:
fishycomics wrote:
Quote:
The small mic should besodered and no wire
did the pictures help at all?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/1589546...850608/detail/

It was very re-affirming to hear that your experiences and thoughts were similar. I am guessing it would take me about 1-2 hours to take the A-HD all the way apart. I want to look at the connectors of the sub-motherboard to see the microphone connection. If it is just two sautered pieces, then I dont see why I cant just swap the microphone out with a jack.

Electronically I am guessing it wont be a problem either, since it should be the same conceptually as if I added an extension to the existing microphone.

Any thoughts on how I would find a connector to replace the audio input with a jack?

Since the microphone is already close to the surface, it shouldnt be a problem adding a microphone jack with easy access.

Worst case i could just do some sort of flip cover/velcro type thing on the silver microphone/speaker cover, if I cant find a prettier solution.
I took apart a Digilife DDV-820 one time. The internal mic plugged into a connector on a circuit board. If you couldn't get a connector the same, you could just splice/solder wires for an external mic, into the connector's wiring.

What would be really neat would be to set it up so there's a jack in the mic socket, or somewhere in the camera with enough space. You could then plug in the original mic, or an extension cable.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2007, 12:57 AM   #15

sgspirit wrote

Thanks sgspirit
for the suggestion. As I look at better camcorder options for the holiday spending (Sanyo Xacti HD1000 @ $700) it is clear to me that there really arent many good HD camcorders out there still.

I was trying to think where to get a jack for a mic socket (like you mention). The best idea I can come up with is just breaking one off from an old computer sound card. I wasnt doing the right google searches to find something online.

Radio shack was another option, but I am not sure they carry stuff like that anymore.
I really appreciated the tip though. it might also be possible to just attach the cables to the existing microphone like you said.
s00nertp is offline   Reply With Quote